Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comparisons, not the births.

I can hardly take credit for the phrase, but when Britain wants to do 'old', it can really do 'old'. :)
The first time I heard of these was on Keeping Up Appearances, except I think Hyacinth specified that she was searching for "Iron Age Antiquities."

Okay, I just had a literal jaw-dropping moment while reading the evening news. The provincial curriculum is being revamped for the K-4 students, and I spotted this gem:
cbc.ca said:
Learning outcomes for Grade 4 students, for example, include the ability to tell time using analog clocks
Grade 4 students are at minimum 8 years old, at maximum 10 years old.

How could an 8-year-old possibly not know how to tell time? I know that a lot of clocks are digital nowadays, but honestly, there are analog clocks around as well, and I really can't fathom how this could be possible.

At least cursive writing is in the curriculum... in Grade 3. It started in Grade 2 when I was in school.

Source.

edit on July 20th, 2018

when ı say ı am an idiot , am an idiot

when ı say ı am not an idiot , naturally am an idiot

typically r16 , pointless sublime nonsense , what's new is in the spoiler that follows the edit line in a thread about political stuff , would interest only those interested . As for youth , getting older is cooler if you have stuff to show for that you haven't wasted all that time that seemed limitless at the time .

Okay, I just had a literal jaw-dropping moment while reading the evening news. The provincial curriculum is being revamped for the K-4 students, and I spotted this gem:

How could an 8-year-old possibly not know how to tell time? I know that a lot of clocks are digital nowadays, but honestly, there are analog clocks around as well, and I really can't fathom how this could be possible.

At least cursive writing is in the curriculum... in Grade 3. It started in Grade 2 when I was in school.

Source.

:)

I caught the.last few years of the cassette, as CDs finished their conquest in the very early 00s.

Cds died too, of course - and lived for much less time than cassettes. And along with them died the large stereo sets/systems which were a must-have for youths in the 90s.
Nowdays most of everything is digital.

I remember our days of 12 year olds Choxorn and Synsensa terrorizing the Civ 3 forums fondly.

Wait, that's not the right word.

I meant "with regret".

Ah yes, I remember, too. Dark times, those were.

Cool title.
Rockpapershotgun has a new layout and I hate it.

Also, I couldn't fall asleep last night and woke up a couple of times.

I remember when CDs died. I buy one or two every other week.

Last night was the first night I would have been able to sleep alright as it was 21 degrees instead of 29. So of course I kept waking up sick.

Heat wave's back on Sunday...

I remember when CDs died. I buy one or two every other week.
I still buy CD's, although i immediately rip them to mp3 and shove them on my mp3 player.
When was the last time you used one of these?

You're all too young. I remember when cassette tapes were that new-fangled technology. How could they fit a WHOLE album on that? :lol: :lol:

You're all too young. I remember when cassette tapes were that new-fangled technology. How could they fit a WHOLE album on that? :lol: :lol:
Pfffffffffffftttt! 8-tracks were better!

Source.

I didn't know how to tell time on an analog clock until I was taught it in school. It was probably around 4th grade when I learned that, which would have been 1995. Today the time is mostly displayed in digital form, on computers, tvs, phones, the car radio etc. Analog clocks are still around but they are much rarer than even in my childhood. It doesn't surprise me at all that kids nowadays need to be taught it.

Also I haven't had to use cursive since elementary school. I'm not even sure I could read it let alone write in it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom