1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants LXXVII: I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no cookies!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valka D'Ur, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

In the case of humans in particular, evolution decided "Hey I know, I'll have them stand upright which means they'll need narrower hips, and I'll also give them giant heads, that probably won't cause any problems"

2. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I suspect horse riding wasn't a major requirment during most of human evolution :)

And yes that's horse riding, not horseback riding. I don't think the location needs to be specified unless your name is Catherine.

Snerk and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. Manfred Belheim

No TB?

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Size of human head is clearly linked to needs in infancy, given iirc a grown human has almost exactly 1/2 the head to body ratio of an infant.
    All kinds of such distnct ratios appear. Iirc the fingers of your fully stretched arm (stretched in front of you) take 2 degrees of your periphery of vision.
    There is also the nice sketch in davinci's "man according to vitruvius".

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I've never even heard of this before. Those SF con readings sound like a riot. :lol:

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Bloody coughing is caused by bacteria, so it can be treated with antibiotics before it kills.

I dont recall seeing TB vaccine listed for any US recommendations.

I don't see any cholera vaccine either even though it causes such bad diarrhea that someone dies of dehydration in a few hours even if gulping down water.
    That much pure water is also dangerous because it does not fix the electrolyte imbalance.
    1L of water, 0.5 tablespoons of salt, 6 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 mashed banana for potassium looks like the treatment.

A bit weird now that I think about it.
    Tetanus is also a bacteria but it gets a vaccine? :hmm:

Smallpox was eradicated,so no one gets that anymore.
    Polio only exists in Afghanistan and Pakistan currently.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles 401 Unauthorized

I think the last person in the world to die of smallpox was somebody working in a university laboratory when a sample of the virus escaped and traveled through the air ducts.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Some con traditions are strange, but fun. The Calgary conventions I attended had a traditional pineapple sacrifice on Sunday, by the hotel swimming pool. One of my roommates (a convention newbie) attended, and ended up being thrown in the swimming pool. He came back to the room, changed, went down again, and was thrown in again.

The third time he came back, another roommate asked, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just jump into the pool with your suitcase?"

When trying to figure out how to get his clothes dry, someone suggested borrowing an iron and ironing board from housekeeping and drying them that way. So that's what happened, and he dried his socks by putting them over a hair dryer and turning it on (something doable out in the hallway since for some reason I don't remember, all the other plugins in the room were in use).

As I recall, the Guest of Honor that year was Robert Silverberg, and this happened in the late '80s.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  9. Manfred Belheim

It's routine here. Or was back when I was the age to be getting vaccinations.

I'm sure I've seen people in American dramas and things with the trademark scar on the arm.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Besides the mentioned ones, there's also Hepatitis B, pneumococci and haemophilus influencae.
    And probably a few more which are not that effective and only used when necessary.

The immune system needs some time to react to them.
    If you pump them all in at the same time, you might get serious side effects, and maybe not lasting immunization (my guess). There might be cross-reactivity within the vaccines too.

Policy is probably just lagging behind.

I'd guess because it's not much of a threat here.
    I'd definitely take it if I'd be going to endemic regions.

Yes, you can be vaccinated against viruses, bacteria or other parasites (well...malaria vaccine is always in the making...). This mainly depends on if a stable and manufacturable target exists. That's e.g. the issue with the yearly flu vaccine: It needs to be re-done, because the flu virus is not stable.

Also TB cannot easily be killed. It's a very resistant organism, in some areas of the world fully antibiotic-resistant strains have evolved. TB also causes major damage to your lungs, which will have long-term effects. I'd definitely not recommend getting it.

shadowplay and Kaitzilla like this.
  11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I've got one along with most boomers, My daughter and almost all of her friends don't.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Are we sure we are not confusing the smallpox vaccine with TB vaccine?

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I think MD and I were referring to TB pretty clearly.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Smallpox vaccines caused characteristic scars on the arm and was phased out in the 80s in the US meaning you would have it but not necessarily your kids.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I realised that I accidentally bought two copies of the same comics book. (Damn those alternate covers). It was less than the price of a pint (well, a good pint) but for some reason knowing that it wasn't simply a frivolous purchase but a wasteful one has left this weird knot of guilt in the back of my head all day.

Whatever nasty little worms live in my brain are really feelin' it today, I guess.

16. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Well not with that attitude!
    TIL that horseback riding is the american form and horse riding is the british form. Neat.

17. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I've been sick for three weeks.

Also, some of the cookies I bought are oatmeal raisin. :mad:

Cutlass and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I just had an idea. Oreo raisin cookies!

Silurian likes this.
  19. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

That's a horrible idea, and only a horrible person would suggest it.

Horrible.

Birdjaguar and cardgame like this.
  20. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles 401 Unauthorized

Now that's just evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.