Random Rants noventa y tres: The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too had a mouse in my kitchen a while ago. Plan A was cat. This failed. She is an excellent hunter outdoors, but turns out indoors, not so much. Plan B was capture trap with peanut butter. I gave it some time but it failed too. Eventually I added an instant kill trap and this did the job.

I don't know what a glue trap is, but aren't regular mousetraps already pretty gory?

Then again, mice don't tend to be a thing in city apartment blocks, at least in any I have lived in.
Regular mouse traps kill the mouse more or less instantly, glue traps glue them to a pad until they starve to death.
Google image search them, if you dare.

Regular mouse traps kill the mouse more or less instantly, glue traps glue them to a pad until they starve to death.
I think it is worse than starving to death (or else the captive traps would be the same). They are terribly stressful to be captured in, so the animal can tear itself apart trying to escape.

Yes, but...

We have always had cats. In NM our cats have brought live mice in from the outside and failed to contain them or kill them. Our house is over 60 years old and has lots of mouse havens. Once they get behind the stove or into some other cabinet, they are quite protected. Their droppings are our only clue to their existence. Capture traps with peanut butter as bait works well and we return them to their wild habitat behind our backyard wall or into the cactus den region of our local roadrunners. Survival of the fittest!

You... let them go? :dubious:

Mice are vermin. They're not endangered, so why not just kill them?

The thing with glue traps is that they can catch things that are not mice, like birds, inquisitive children, and puppies/kittens.

It tends to be fatal for kittens, for the same reason it is for birds and mice. Glue traps should be illegal everywhere (they are in some places).

We had a mouse population explosion in 1993, after City Council, in its Divine Stupidity, decided not to spend money keeping the city boulevards and ditches mowed. The grass grew, and the mouse population loved it. They had lots more safe habitat, and roamed all over... especially in neighborhoods near this wonderful habitat, like ours (close to the river, within a 20-minute walk of the wildlife sanctuary where I used to work).

I'd hear squeaking in the cupboards, found droppings in the cupboards, holes chewed in packaging... we had to throw out a lot of food. Traps didn't work much, and my grandmother was afraid the cats would get caught in them (we had 3 cats at the time; this was a few months before we adopted Gussy).

Maggie did well in catching mice outside (sometimes evidence was left as a corpse on the back porch, but she ate most of them). Inside? I woke up one night to hear odd noises in the kitchen, so I got up to find Tomtat playing with a mouse. He batted it around, flipped it over to his mom (Lightning), who daintily took a step back. I could tell the mouse was dead by then.

I asked Tomtat, "Did you kill it?" and he got a sudden look on his face like 'uh-oh, am I in trouble?'... so I picked him up and gave him a big hug and told him what a WONDERFUL cat he was, and I was so pleased.

Then I realized that this was his first mouse kill, after years of Maggie trying and failing to teach him to hunt. (these three were 3 generations of the same cat family - Maggie, daughter Lightning, and grandson Tomtat) So I made sure to let him know that he'd done a GOOD thing and I was very happy about it.

I also realized that nobody would believe me if I'd told them Tomtat had killed a mouse, and of course I had to do something with it. So I found one of the clean jam jars, lifted the mouse in with the tongs, and put the lid on the jar.

Then I woke up my dad and grandmother, shoving the jar with the dead mouse at them: "See what Tomtat just did? Isn't it WONDERFUL?" :dance:

My grandmother screamed a bit, my dad took a moment to realize what I was talking about... Come on, so what if this was around 4:30 am? The point is that we now had an indoor mouser!

Tomtat caught several more mice that summer. The funniest was when Lightning caught one behind the couch, carried it gently in her mouth, and then let it go when she saw Tomtat and I were there. The mouse tried to hide under the table, so Tomtat headed it off one way, and I told my grandmother to get an empty jar and the tongs. By this time Lightning had jumped up on a chair and my grandmother was freaking out: "Catch it, kill it! But don't touch it!"

I used the tongs to grab the mouse by the tail and put it in the jar, and I got the lid on. Tomtat was miffed that he didn't get to play with it, and then I realized it was still alive. How could I put a still-living mouse in the garbage?

Well, I made sure it was dead first. Then it ended up in the garbage. And the next mouse Tomtat caught, he grabbed it before I could get it, and the expression on his face couldn't be plainer: "I'm not done with it yet!"

He grabbed the mouse, took it down to the basement, played the cat equivalent of handball with it for a few minutes (dying and dead mice make a kind of squishy noise when thrown against cement walls), and when things got quiet, I went down to check. It was definitely dead, and I asked Tomtat, "Can I have it now?"

He gave me a look that was "Yeah, dunno why you like them dead, but okay," so I disposed of it.

There were a lot of complaints to City Hall over this from lots of people with mouse problems, and the next year they went back to regular boulevard and ditch maintenance.

Mice are vermin. They're not endangered, so why not just kill them?
Yup. If I catch one live, I just take it away. I do the same with spiders. Ants an most other insects are not so lucky.

Imho if there is reason to act differently, it's about the average normal lifespan of the creature. An ant can (depending on species) actually live for a couple of years, which did surprise me.
(of course this doesn't involve vermin, no one could allow such in their house)

Last edited:
Well and cats are predators, they got that cute image from society but we all know they hunt and kill for fun ;)
I don't see how the two are at all incompatible.

Well and cats are predators, they got that cute image from society but we all know they hunt and kill for fun ;)
It's not all so black & white in nature.
Humans also hunt and kill for fun. And funny how so few cat-haters acknowledge the many other ways birds get killed, like bashing themselves to death against skyscrapers because of how the windows reflect the sky so they don't realize it's not open sky.

And funny how so few cat-haters acknowledge the many other ways birds get killed, like bashing themselves to death against skyscrapers because of how the windows reflect the sky so they don't realize it's not open sky.
Apparently they figured out a way to cut down on than by putting tiny little squares on the windows, and it works.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/bird-strikes-hit-regina-business-hard-1.643[5996
CBC said:
The volunteer-led team's goal is to make Regina a safe city for birds. When they heard about the bird strikes at the care home they knew exactly how to fix the problem.

Team member Jeffrey Gamble says the old ways of protecting birds aren't effective and recommends a special kind of tape to put on unsafe windows.

"The feather-friendly tape is highly effective, affordable, minimally impactful on your view," Gamble said. "It's a much better solution [than] a hawk silhouette or some sort of a UV decal."

This tape's design is based on the recommendations of Fatal Light Awareness Program (FLAP) Canada to warn birds away from glass. It is applied to the glass with a five-centimetre grid of small squares, which tells the fliers there are no bird-sized gaps for them to pass through. Human eyes can tune out the squares, similar to the way a window screen is barely noticeable unless it's focused on.

I got covid. I hate it. Spent this long without it, maybe I could count myself lucky, but man when you're sick you always realise that you take being healthy for granted.

I had some chest pain this morning but that went away quickly. Now the most annoying thing is being out of energy. Closing the curtains to my room took a lot more effort than I thought. I had to lift myself up and that felt strenuous. The headache, cough and sore throat is not so bad.

I am feeling extra bad that I attended a formal dinner without a mask a couple nights ago with a sore throat, and some of my friends that travelled with me on the plane to Chch the day after the dinner are also feeling sick. I had a negative test that afternoon (very misleading) but this morning I felt worse and the line came up almost instantly. Too bad...

Feel better soon!

Update on my current health issue is that I still feel like complete crap. My doc agreed that my sinus issues could be part of the equation. I'll do a week of antibiotics to see if that helps. I really hate antibiotics, it's no good for the rest of my body, but I gotta try something. Covid test was negative.

Apocillin. If my guts riots I'll just pull the plug.

You do know that stopping a course of antibiotics in the middle is generally a bad idea, right? That's how you get things like MRSA.

I dropped my pill bottle while it was open.

I dropped my pill bottle while it was open.
Can the pharmacy replace at least some of them? They did that for me once, when I told them it was an accident.

Can the pharmacy replace at least some of them? They did that for me once, when I told them it was an accident.
Thankfully, I dropped it on the desk. It was still annoying to pick them all back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom