Random Rants noventa y tres: The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear :/.

Indeed. If my friend had ticked the box on a few more names, he would now even have more dating options.
My poor performance would not have bothered me, if I had not heard his stats. I did not think I had performed that much worse than him, but I apparently did. No clue why, no option to get feedback.

More 2-2.5h.
It also has a bunch of advantages. You know you are talking to someone who is single and willed to date, and are not bothering someone who is not. There is a setup to talk, no anxiety to start a conversation. And everyone gets the same amount of time, no matter how you look or anything else, so you can play your charme even if you are not typically atttactive.
It's definitely not for everyone though, and I wouldn't use it as the only option, but it definitely is a valid option.

Now a different rant: Managed to pull a back muscle while... sitting, I think. I am getting old :(.
Maybe your other "friend" (ex friend, I mean ^^) was right that you should be at the gym 23 hours a day :eek:
Anyway, speed dating sounds pretty bad. Probably even worse than online.

I think I might take it as a point of pride to be rejected by 100% of the kinds of people . . .
Spoiler :
who think speed-dating is a good idea.

P.S. @The_J i didn't mean to be disrespectful when laughing about the speed dating thing.
I just think at such events they rarely rate your true values, which would make "fails" unimportant to me..so i hope you are not too bothered.

Maybe your other "friend" (ex friend, I mean ^^) was right that you should be at the gym 23 hours a day :eek:
Anyway, speed dating sounds pretty bad. Probably even worse than online.

Trying my best :p.

Speed dating beats online dating by miles. At least you meet real people.

P.S. @The_J i didn't mean to be disrespectful when laughing about the speed dating thing.
I just think at such events they rarely rate your true values, which would make "fails" unimportant to me..so i hope you are not too bothered.

I'm not too bothered about your comment.
I'm bothered that from the roughly 120 women who I met via this way, none consider me dateable. I'm talkative, educated, hopefully interesting, not horribly looking, doing sports and a lot of other things. There's not much to improve on the objective side, so I guess it's gotta be my personality or something.
That is bothersome.

I anyways want to wait for my ex to break up with her current boyfriend, so at least nothing is getting in the way of that :cringe:.

Trying my best :p.

Speed dating beats online dating by miles. At least you meet real people.

I'm not too bothered about your comment.
I'm bothered that from the roughly 120 women who I met via this way, none consider me dateable. I'm talkative, educated, hopefully interesting, not horribly looking, doing sports and a lot of other things. There's not much to improve on the objective side, so I guess it's gotta be my personality or something.
That is bothersome.

I anyways want to wait for my ex to break up with her current boyfriend, so at least nothing is getting in the way of that :cringe:.
Maybe they're not into sports? :dunno:

@The_J I have no idea what type women usually look for at speed dating, so i cannot comment on that.
If you get some friendly reactions elsewhere i think it means nothing, and maybe you can try locations like parks etc (when the weather gets better again :)).
Ofc it's not guaranteed to find some who look for dates there, but in general places where peoples are in a good mood can offer chances.

1675467033136.jpeg

schlaufuchs is right; the women you're speed-dating want to feel like they're wanted, and you're probably not conveying that vibe.

the meme needs a comma, though. not (just) for grammar, but for comic impact.

Speed Dating sounds like a recipe for disaster.

wellllllllllll, yeah, they could do it through a string of els indicating the drawing out of the word. but somehow it needs to be "well [beat] there's your problem" and a comma's easier.

two separate forms of deadpan: 1) as though one could respond to such a catastrophic event with an emotionless "well," then 2) state the obvious as though you're telling your interlocutor something they don't already know.

total comic effect definitely needs the pause between the two phases.

also, now that I think about it, the pause itself is part of the first deadpan: rather than rushing over to see if everyone is all right, the speaker is just taking the collision as an object for dispassionate commentary.

Last edited:
it’s nice to know you see me as a woman

I do see you as a woman, schlaufuchs!

random rant:
Years ago
I remember a college professor of mine once said he's sue us if we published his notes. I don't know how may profs copyright their notes, but apparently he did. Anyone know? [Literally none of my many others ever suggested it.] Is this guy just a weirdo, or is publishing class notes a legit concern?

random rant:
Years ago
I remember a college professor of mine once said he's sue us if we published his notes. I don't know how may profs copyright their notes, but apparently he did. Anyone know? [Literally none of my many others ever suggested it.] Is this guy just a weirdo, or is publishing class notes a legit concern?

Isaac Asimov could have copyrighted his grocery lists.

Almost anything someone writes can be copyrighted (fanfiction can't legally be copyrighted, though many fanfic authors assert their ownership over original characters and settings). That said, it's not worth it for most things. For my own stuff, I've only worried about some of the original articles and the filksongs and poetry I've written for various fanzines and newsletters over the years.

Yes, some professors do this. One of mine flipped out when someone in her history class wanted to record the lecture (audio) and said she never allows that because she doesn't want anyone profiting from it or distributing it to people who are not her students.

It's a legitimate concern for those professors whose notes are actually coherent and detailed enough that some would find them worth plagiarizing. There's a black market for that sort of thing.

Mind you, that history prof of mine had nothing to worry about. Between her squeaky sandals (she had a habit of pacing throughout her lectures) and her inability to correctly pronounce some words; if you're going to include Native American names and words in your lecture, learn how to say them; I'd already been taught the correct pronunciation in my anthropology class and hearing her mangle them was like fingernails on a blackboard)... I wouldn't have paid for a copy of her notes.

random rant:
Years ago
You can copyright any text you want just by declaring it to be copywrited.

He's mostly a weirdo. That said, some professors eventually publish their class material as a book. I once met a major Shakespearean from Harvard, Marjorie Garber, who had just published a major book, Shakespeare After All, and in conversation, she indicated that now she would have to develop all new material for her classes. As I put two and two together, I realized that part of how she'd conceived the book was "Here's what it would be like to take a class on Shakespeare at Harvard." But then now her actual Harvard students wouldn't want to be taught that same stuff that they (and everyone) could just read in a book.

There are cases of important books that we have because of student notes. Saussure's Course in General Linguistics was not published by him, as I understand it, but reconstructed from his students' notes. I think it's thought to be true of some of Aristotle's treatises. Of course it's true for all of Socrates.

So your prof just thinks/thought he's on that level.

You can copyright any text you want just by declaring it to be copywrited.

He's mostly a weirdo. That said, some professors eventually publish their class material as a book. I once met a major Shakespearean from Harvard, Marjorie Garber, who had just published a major book, Shakespeare After All, and in conversation, she indicated that now she would have to develop all new material for her classes. As I put two and two together, I realized that part of how she'd conceived the book was "Here's what it would be like to take a class on Shakespeare at Harvard." But then now her actual Harvard students wouldn't want to be taught that same stuff that they (and everyone) could just read in a book.

There are cases of important books that we have because of student notes. Saussure's Course in General Linguistics was not published by him, as I understand it, but reconstructed from his students' notes. I think it's thought to be true of some of Aristotle's treatises. Of course it's true for all of Socrates.

So your prof just thinks/thought he's on that level.
One of the most asinine things I put up with as department secretary was the insistence that I had written permission each time we released a past course syllabus to a previous student.

It was awful. Some professors would not respond to the requests, and students could not transfer their credits to a different institution without the syllabus for the new institution's professors to review. Some simply missed out and wound up paying for classes twice, while they (rightfully) dumped on the (wrongfully)secretary for the department's sins.

I've worked with hicks, I've worked with city warehouse techs, I've worked with teachers, I've worked with regretful killers from the military, I've worked with lawyers, I've worked with sinners and saints, but I have never worked with people so reliably petty at other's expense than tenured professors. Credit where it's due, though, all the professors that were first working class and then academics... some of the finest people I know.

Oh, professors are the worst. There's no doubt about it.

Oh, professors are the worst. There's no doubt about it.

The worst in general, or only in this particular aspect?

Some of the most interesting, nicest people I ever knew were professors (some of the tackiest as well, but I prefer to forget them whenever possible).

profs aren't the worst; I liked all of my 40-or-so profs except him and another guy. Some seem like a fairly insulated bunch.

I just found it odd that he was very defensive of what were Powerpoint slides of incomplete sentences; it wasn't a book he wrote. Him coming out on Day 1 and saying, words to the effect of, "And if I see these notes put up anywhere else, I will find you and sue you," [as curt as that] stuck out at me very petty. But I was an impressionable 20-something at the time. I'd think he's full of crud nowadays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom