Random Rants noventa y tres: The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I considered that, but I know I have lactose intolerance (gives me gas) and I'm using alternative milks.

I've had really bad gas for the last three years and I'm wondering if it's partly my diet. I have no idea how I'd get that checked.

I've had really bad gas for the last three years and I'm wondering if it's partly my diet. I have no idea how I'd get that checked.
I think the usual procedure is to cut out everything exciting from your diet and see if it gets better. That tends to involve a rice and chicken diet to start with.

Do they not flunk and expell people for academic misconduct when the plagiarize, anymore?

Honest question.

In theory yes, but in practice rather only in serious circumstances.

e.g. I had a student hand in a first version of a report, where basically the whole introduction was copied from Wikipedia. I have him a stern talk and told him to do it for real.

In retrospect, I should have failed that guy though.

I think the usual procedure is to cut out everything exciting from your diet and see if it gets better. That tends to involve a rice and chicken diet to start with.

I'd not go that extreme, and first only go for lactose and gluten.
Unless you're totally strapped for money, then this gets complicatd.
Otherwise you can simply replace milk and yoghurt with plant based alternatives* and leave out cheese. Lactose intolerance is normally also not an on/off situation, and minor amounts of lactose will not cause a problem. So this is pretty simple.
Gluten is more complicated, but should not cause gas either. Replacing bread, cereals and pasta is way more complicated, and the substitutes aren't cheap :/.

In both cases there is no health benefit in continuing them if they are not the problem. Using the plant replacements for milk are better for the environment though. Using gluten-free items if you don't need to might be bad for your diet, since you'll be e.g. missing out on healther full-grain breads etc.

*for the plant based alternatives, there are mostly 2 things to consider
- if you bought one of them (soy, rice, oat, almond, etc), and they have a weird alkaline taste to them, then buy a next time a different one and buy one with some aroma in them. Often they add a mild caramel or vanilla aroma, and they actually taste quite good then
- they might be to watery (e.g. my first almond milk was terribly watery; can't eat your cereals with that). There, the next time buy something else and check if it has added oil. That should add texture to the whole thing

Do they not flunk and expell people for academic misconduct when the plagiarize, anymore?

Honest question.

We can't even expel our government here for plagiarism. When Jason Kenney, our illegitimate premier who cheated to "win" his leadership status in the party (thus making him ineligible to be premier) decided that he would set up a "war room" to counter bad publicity regarding the oil & gas industries, the people he tasked with that blatantly copied the logo from some company whose name I forget.

They were caught, publicly shamed, and damn if their second effort wasn't very similar to the first. That, along with the Minister of Education allowing the team of non-teachers (many not even Canadian) to plagiarize huge parts of the new curriculum from Wikipedia and other American sources, shows that our government has no problem whatsoever with cheating and plagiarism. There are NO set qualifications to be Minister of Education. The person warming that cabinet seat doesn't have to have any education/teaching-related credentials or experience at all, and the person in that portfolio claimed that she's qualified for the job because she's a mother and grandmother.

Well, I guess that makes every Albertan woman who's a citizen, over 18, and has produced offspring eligible to be Minister of Education (ideally they should have won an election and be an MLA, but it is possible for PMs and premiers to appoint non-elected people to cabinet posts).

In theory yes, but in practice rather only in serious circumstances.

e.g. I had a student hand in a first version of a report, where basically the whole introduction was copied from Wikipedia. I have him a stern talk and told him to do it for real.

In retrospect, I should have failed that guy though.

One of my college history profs was death on plagiarism. Anyone he caught would be automatically failed and booted out of the course. He told us that if he had his way, anyone caught plagiarizing would be blacklisted so they could never go to another post-secondary institution.

Damn straight his own students didn't cheat, and if any of my typing clients brought me assignments from his history classes, I took especially good care to make sure the references and citations were done perfectly, without a single punctuation mark out of place (I did that for everyone, but some instructors were more of a stickler than others).

There were a few incidents that made me want to slap people for their stupidity:

1. To put up the notices to advertise my typing services, I had to get them signed by the secretary at the Students' Union. That meant standing in line, and when one guy noticed my posters, he asked - in full hearing of the secretary - "If I pay you $25, will you write the paper for me?"

Um, NO. As in he was asking me to commit an egregious breach of the rules, it was dishonest, and I told him that plagiarism is wrong and both of us would be kicked out.

I told my grandmother about it and her opinion was that it had to be a trap - that nobody would really be stupid enough to ask such a question in the hearing of a staff member unless they were trying to catch cheaters or people providing black market papers.

Whether the guy was really that stupid or whether it was a trap, I didn't fall for it.

2. One of the guys in the science fiction club offered me $10 to write his English essay. At least he wasn't stupid enough to ask in the vicinity of a staff member; we were in the parking lot. I told him no, and never ask that of anyone, even as a joke. The consequences could mean expulsion, not to mention he needed to do his own work.

3. One of my clients phoned me in a panic one night. She'd already dropped off her essay and I'd started on it. She said she'd re-read the assignment and realized she'd forgotten about a thesis statement. She asked, "Did I write one?"

I told her that if she had, it was there and if not, it wasn't there. Since I wasn't necessarily familiar with all the courses people took, there were times when I wasn't even sure what the essay was about; I was paid to type it, not understand it (though I did try, as clients often asked my opinion of their work).

Then she said that there was supposed to be one, and if she'd forgotten it, could I please make one up? :wallbash:

I told her no, because for one thing I'd never taken that class and had no idea what an appropriate thesis statement should be for that assignment. I never wanted to risk messing up anyone's grade, and the only time I ever added or changed anything was to fix errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and format, or if someone specified exactly what they wanted to add - that they themselves had written (it happened a few times; I'd get a call with a request to add a sentence or two).

For two things, it would be plagiarism - her passing my original writing off as her own, and that's wrong in so many ways.

I did advise her that if she was unsure about thesis statements in general, she could either ask the instructor for help or go to one of the drop-in sessions at the library, where they had free tutoring for students having problems with various aspects of writing. I didn't mind explaining the odd thing to a client if it was simple and quick; after all, the better they could write their rough drafts, the quicker it would go for me when I typed them. But if it wasn't quick and simple, I figured that they were paying me as a typist, not a tutor, and I wasn't willing to do that for free (the only exception I ever made was for a friend who was struggling with French; she hadn't taken it in high school and therefore had to take it in her first year in her program, whereas I'd taken it all through high school and college).

I had to start the creative writing work in class today. It's my fault, but I wasn't prepared...

Also just heard there is E coli in my boarding house's water supply.

After waiting since August for a doctor's appointment, I'm now told that the local doctor's surgery won't be able to help me and I have to instead go through a website called Umbrella Cymru if I want any help.

After waiting since August for a doctor's appointment, I'm now told that the local doctor's surgery won't be able to help me and I have to instead go through a website called Umbrella Cymru if I want any help.

aw I’m so sorry. The nhs is so profoundly fudged up, you shouldn’t be having to do this to get the care you need. I’m always here if you need any help or support.

I don't know why it took seven months just to tell me to go on a website. I went through Umbrella Cymru and sent a request but because of the large amounts of requests they receive it can take 3-4 weeks before I get a reply.

My childhood bowling alley burned down. Not quite burned down but now they are definitely going to tear it down. Burned a large hole in the roof.

New apartment block coming soon, by Gentrificorp, Ltd.

I've gotten an e-mail back from Umbrella Cyrmu. They want to send a support worker. I don't know how that's going to work especially with my dad.

The e-mail has links to a lot of information and it just made me feel like I should've been told about this site a lot sooner. Then I found this.

How do I get referred to the WGS?​

This is now a simple process in Wales. All you need to do is ask your GP to refer you using the electronic referral system (WAP - previously known as WCCG).

Your GP can make this referral during an appointment or you could call your GP and ask them to do this for you.
I was worried that this would be said somewhere. My GP refused to do that.

At least the waiting time isn't as long as I thought it would be. 18 months.

Last edited:
Well, you're likely registered with an entire surgery, not just a single GP, so even if "your" GP won't do it for some reason, there should be multiple other doctors there who can.

The entire surgery? Well, you can always register somewhere else if there's more than one surgery in your catchment area.

so , you know , a basic statement that a downturn in economy was expected , currently explained as a 20 year cycle in New Turkey because they want it thought that they didn't bankrupt the country (because global economy) . That there is a dearth of money and everything is being done to get more money into circulation . That they even cook the books in Washington and they might or might not be in recession , despite the action provided by things in the so called Cold War 2 . That some foreign bank outright stole 17 billion dollars (of foreigners) . That the West felt it necessary to create a legal to thing to cut the so called Kurdish oil exports , last year and hid it . Until this week or so . Now that New Turkey might go and confiscating certain bank accounts is both absolutely necessary and basically the only economic plan that can be offered by the Opposition . But yes , we will be rather more bankrupt with New Turkey . That the West both expects us to be happy and Opposition to pay fines over the profits of New Turkey , usually stated to be by companies owned by the son and first son-in-law of the PM . Because every dollar is necessary for the circus . Instead of thinking why each and every citizen in the country must pay 300 liras , reaching upto 800 liras with interest , people claim ı said we have a lot of money , and it is the only thing they talk about ... Do not translate , if you have issues with reading comprehension .

:S He had very popular math videos (well, had; no longer very active), but I am of mixed views about this meme-inclusive style.
That said, clarity should be there. It's why my own favorite math youtuber is Mathologer.
1680328137857.png

My creepy phone turned itself on and tried to call 112 (uk version of 911 emergency line) in the middle of the night, creating horrible blaring alarm noise.

Took me long time to get back to sleep after this, kept expecting cops to show outside my door.

The call never went thru I guess but it went off again three times again this morning.

Maybe ai has taken over and slowly driving us all crazy

My creepy phone turned itself on and tried to call 112 (uk version of 911 emergency line) in the middle of the night, creating horrible blaring alarm noise.

Took me long time to get back to sleep after this, kept expecting cops to show outside my door.

The call never went thru I guess but it went off again three times again this morning.

Maybe ai has taken over and slowly driving us all crazy

You're now living in a country where weird stuff happens all the time. If you ever see a blue phone booth anywhere, run like hell.

The UK version of 911 would be 999. 112 is the European equivalent, which also works in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom