RANDOM RANTS XXVIII: Everything is Flammable

I am very disappointed in whichever troper wrote this in regards to the banana sharing 50% of its genes with humans. Genes =/= noncoding DNA.
A banana has 600 million base pairs. A human has 3 billion base pairs. If the banana only has 20% as many genes, how can it share 50%? Are you trying to say that 50% of the banana genome is identical to yours? That would mean only 10% of your genome is identical to that of a banana.

Damn people pushing me into facebook. I just ran across the reason I knew I'd hate it. This punk I knew from middle school who went to chaminade(a really good college prep school here on Long Island) is having an expectedly successful life, being in London university or something like that playing lacrosse, knows Latin, has some blog about him travelling all over Europe. He's friends with all my other high school friends who kept in touch with him, I never cared to because well I hated him so I had no idea he was doing well. Only solace is in the fact he's still ugly as a llama ass. It just heightens my regret to having not gone to Chaminade like I should have, they were begging me to go, but no, I had to be lazy and not want to get up extra early to get on a train and whatever to go there, and break my arm so I couldn't even play lacrosse anymore...

I'm gonna go drink now.

So, I'm in my Government class. We're watching a movie about the history of America from colonial times to the end of the Revolution. It gets done, the teacher gets into some discussion, and then, she asks if anyone has been to a Revolutionary War battlefield.

One girl raises her hand, and the teacher asks which one. "Umm... Was Gettysburg in the Revolutionary War?"

I kid you not. My friends in the back are doubled over in laughter, half the class is trying to hold in laughter, and I'm just sitting in the class facepalming. Only one word is running through my head at this point:

WHY?

Why the hell are you in an Honors government class IF YOU CAN'T TELL WHEN ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT BATTLES IN US HISTORY TOOK PLACE? Jesus Christ, some people are stupid. You aren't ******ed. You're just dumb. The fact that early US history was three years ago is no excuse for not being able to remember when Gettysburg was.

@D'art: My History Teacher told my class of a student who thought that Pearl Harbour day was about someone named Pearl Harbour. :wallbash:

Wikipedia said:
The town had its start as a tavern owned by Samuel Gettys, a settler and early businessman, who built the tavern between 1774 and 1775 where soldiers and traders came to rest often, as it sat on the Shippensburg - Baltimore and Philadelphia - Pittsburgh cross roads. The town of Gettysburg wasn't founded until 1786 where it was named after Gettys himself.[3]

I doubt any battles were fought there during the Revolutionary War.

people can completely forget some fact of history. it is highly rude and mean of your class to do that. if people did that to me, its highly likely i will flip out in anger.

I'm surprised the teacher knew that Gettysburg wasn't a Revolutionary War battle. Military history was supposed to be ignored fifty years ago, which is about where the standard of high school AP classes is.

As famous as the Gettysburg Address is, most people should have a vague idea of what war was being fought at the time, especially somebody who's actually been to Gettysburg.

I'm surprised the teacher knew that Gettysburg wasn't a Revolutionary War battle. Military history was supposed to be ignored fifty years ago, which is about where the standard of high school AP classes is.

seriously? that explains the immense stupidity of people in regards to most of history.

The teacher is somewhere in her fifties, maybe late sixties. My teacher in 8th grade was in his sixties, so we focused a lot on military battles during the Civil War unit.

Top Bottom