Random Raves νγ: Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought sour cream on pizza was odd.

Had a great chicken tomato one few years back.

I've been musing about chicken and tomato. Chicken is a premium topping, though, and there's an extra cost for it.

I've been musing about chicken and tomato. Chicken is a premium topping, though, and there's an extra cost for it.

Heh chickens the cheapest meat here. In 90s it was premium.

13' pizza was $22 potato money around $24 USD.

probably cheapest eats in town we can dine there for $36 ($24 USD)dinner for two (spaghetti bol and 9' pizza)

Well things like Turkish, Chinese hole in wall things are cheaper but I'm meaning proper sit down restaurant.

Last week the firm I work for provided the employees with Pizza!!! for lunch. We had a mandatory lunch and learn that we had to attend but boy did that pizza more than make up for it (in my eyes at least).

Heh chickens the cheapest meat here. In 90s it was premium.

13' pizza was $22 potato money around $24 USD.

probably cheapest eats in town we can dine there for $36 ($24 USD)dinner for two (spaghetti bol and 9' pizza)

Well things like Turkish, Chinese hole in wall things are cheaper but I'm meaning proper sit down restaurant.

I just took advantage of a coupon for a 40% discount if the order was placed between 11 am and 3 pm (it's nearly 2:30 pm now). The pizza itself cost $13.94 (large, 3 toppings, none premium; this is after the discount). The rest of the cost is GST, delivery, tip, and fee for using a card to pay. The toppings are sausage, tomatoes, and black olives.

As for what's premium and what's regular, and what's free... it depends on the restaurant. Black olives are free at Family Pizza. They're a regular item at Domino's.

Domino's?

Yep. I only order from Family Pizza if I want garlic toast. Their garlic toast is the best I've ever had, and Domino's doesn't do garlic bread (I don't consider their bread items to be at all equivalent). I also like the Domino's pasta.

Yep. I only order from Family Pizza if I want garlic toast. Their garlic toast is the best I've ever had, and Domino's doesn't do garlic bread (I don't consider their bread items to be at all equivalent). I also like the Domino's pasta.
Huh. Apparently you can only buy Domino's gift cards in a physical retail store. That's inconvenient.

Last week the firm I work for provided the employees with Pizza!!! for lunch. We had a mandatory lunch and learn that we had to attend but boy did that pizza more than make up for it (in my eyes at least).
Is your lunch paid time? If not, in most countries that is illegal.

Is your lunch paid time? If not, in most countries that is illegal.

My lunch is not paid time but that is the norm here in the states. Lunch and learns are common here as well but I've never heard that holding one during unpaid lunchtime is illegal. Interesting...

Any lawyers from the US here that can shed light?

The US is sadly renowned for its poor employment legislation.

My lunch is not paid time but that is the norm here in the states. Lunch and learns are common here as well but I've never heard that holding one during unpaid lunchtime is illegal. Interesting...

Any lawyers from the US here that can shed light?
It depends on the definition of "mandatory", but surely they cannot require you to attend something that is uncompensated, surely?

To be clear, I am not advising you to do anything about it. It is frequently better to suck up these things than make a fus, but it should be born in mind that they did not thing it was important enough to pay you to attend, but though it important enough to make you attend. That should tell you all you need to know about your employer.

Last edited:
Actually, you're suppose to grin winningly and say ‘Only in 'Murica!’ as if though it were a good thing.
I used to be that kind of guy but not any longer.

It depends on the definition of "mandatory", but surely they cannot require you to attend something that is uncompensated, surely?

To be clear, I am not advising you to do anything about it. It is frequently better to suck up these things than make a fus, but it should be born in mind that they did not thing it was important enough to pay you to attend, but though it important enough to make you attend. That should tell you all you need to know about your employer.

Well, it wasn't really mandatory in that if I did not attend I would be fired or anything like that. But it was important enough for me to be there given my function in the company.

I have attended lunch and learns in the past at other firms I worked for but they were all optional. You were not compelled to attend on your lunch hour. So maybe that answers my own question, that it is illegal to force someone to 'work' without being paid for it.

And no I don't plan on challenging my boss or causing any trouble. I was however intrigued by the point you brought up. Now I can be more aware.

I used to be that kind of guy but not any longer.

Well, it wasn't really mandatory in that if I did not attend I would be fired or anything like that. But it was important enough for me to be there given my function in the company.

I have attended lunch and learns in the past at other firms I worked for but they were all optional. You were not compelled to attend on your lunch hour. So maybe that answers my own question, that it is illegal to force someone to 'work' without being paid for it.

And no I don't plan on challenging my boss or causing any trouble. I was however intrigued by the point you brought up. Now I can be more aware.
I would find it odd that a company would want employees to attend a "lunch and learn" and not pay for the lunch. For hourly workers, I would suspect that such a lunch would need to be paid for those who attended especially if it was on company property. Cheap bastards.

Johnny Sexton, 37 years young, all-time scorer in Six Nations tournament history with that kick. :thumbsup: (That's rugby, for my fellow Yanks.)

huhuhuh you said sex
Mr. Beavis and uhmmm Butt ... Head are saying that's cool .... hu huuu huhuhuh hu hu she said .......

Settle down Beavis ! huhuhuhuhuhu

That's rugby, for my fellow Yanks.
According to Wikipedia there are 120,000 rugby players in the US, pretty close to the number of players in NZ, 150,000.

I wouldn't believe that US statistic, though. It doesn't really make sense to me that there are 120,000 rugby players floating around in the US. It must be tough for them...

The US has about 65 times as many people as New Zealand does. Those numbers amount to be around 0.04% of Americans vs. around 3% of New Zealanders.

According to Wikipedia there are 120,000 rugby players in the US, pretty close to the number of players in NZ, 150,000.

I wouldn't believe that US statistic, though. It doesn't really make sense to me that there are 120,000 rugby players floating around in the US. It must be tough for them...
We play a lot of sports. We have 800,000 lacrosse players. We have a handful of Irish hurling clubs, and an Australian Rules Football League with, like, 40 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom