Random Raves ΜΔ: Crate Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the post office does cheques? There's one in my pharmacy, which is just in my walking distance. (There's several post offices inside pharmacies. I'm not sure if it's a Nova Scotia thing.)

They do Canada Post money orders. Not cheques, unfortunately.

You can get cheques cashed out at a payday place (like Money Mart) but they'll take a big cut. If someone from a local bank (e.g. Scotiabank) sends you a cheque, you can go to a Scotiabank branch and get it cashed too (again, for a fee). A cheque from Amazon will be from a US bank so your only choice on that front, without having a bank account of your own, is a payday place.

A possible choice is to get a chequing account with a credit union. They tend to require no monthly fees, instead getting their money through transactions. You can also attach it to a PayPal account just as you would with a normal bank. Downside of this is that you have an initial cost upfront with buying shares but it is usually pretty low. My credit union account only required $5 in shares.

I wanted to join the credit union after my bank got compromised, but it's across town and my mother kept making excuses not to take me to open an account. But I just realized that there's a bank right next door to the pharmacy. I'll look and see what sort of accounts they have

It will probably be a little while though before I can get there, because there's a lot of snow and ice and cold and it's not really safe for me to walk on that.

What are the limits in Nova Scotia? Here in BC they were capped by the Liberals (actually the Conservatives in practice) at $200 up until last year. When the NDP took power along with the Greens, they bumped it up to $400.
You two need to move to Alberta. AISH recently got a boost to $1685/month, and I think there's an $800/month limit on earnings before they start clawing it back. We also have no provincial sales tax (so far). I've been getting a carbon tax rebate, as well (not much, but every bit helps).

Mind you, rent isn't cheap, even after the downturn. I've been lucky enough to get into a situation where water and heat are included in rent and have been grandfathered into an incentive where they also include basic cable and basic internet (I never go anywhere near my data cap). So the only utilities I have to pay are electricity and telephone.

I can imagine. My caseworker told me she was more disabled than I was and she could hold down a 9-5 just fine. :think:
Whoop-de-do for her. What's her situation got to do with yours? My first social worker tried the "I have what you have and I do fine" line, and didn't like it when I pointed out that it affects everyone differently.

How would you be paid? Could you keep those funds private?
The agencies that oversee disability benefits conduct annual reviews, and for the first several months to a year or so, the new recipient is required to submit monthly reports detailing how much money they have, right to the penny (cash included). Or so it is in Alberta. Of course nobody reports cash, or they might make up some small amount, but it's critical to be honest about bank/credit union balances or anything else that could be found in an audit.

@aimeeandbeatles : Are you getting your GST money? You're eligible, and should be getting 4 payments/year. Of course this happens only if you file an income tax form every year (forms are available at any Canada Post counter, or online). Even if you're not working/have no taxable income, you're eligible for this. It's not a lot (ie. I get something like $450/year) but every bit helps. I think you're allowed to file retroactively for a limited number of years (it means getting the basic income tax forms for past years and filling them out) and you could receive at least some past GST credit.

I wonder if the post office does cheques? There's one in my pharmacy, which is just in my walking distance. (There's several post offices inside pharmacies. I'm not sure if it's a Nova Scotia thing.)
It's all over Canada, when downsizing started to be a thing in the '90s. We used to have a post office in the middle of downtown and our MP at the time recommended it be shut down because "people can always go to Edmonton or Calgary if they need more than the basics". So we have mini-Canada Post outlets in pharmacies and convenience stores all over the country. The only actual Canada Post building we still have in Red Deer is the sorting plant.

They do Canada Post money orders. Not cheques, unfortunately.
I see quite a few comments on CBC.ca that Canada Post should offer banking services. I used to use money orders a lot in the '80s when I was buying print Star Trek fanzines from some people in Minnesota.

Surely they need it the most? Lawful characters can attribute their action to external motivations- to law, honour, tradition, whatever. Chaotic characters have to establish that all actions originate from internal motivation.

Yeah, Chaotic doesn't mean "Lul I'm so random there's no logic behind what I do"

I came up with another part of my plan for tomorrow. Before she started going nuttier I used to walk over to a little game store near the pharmacy and the bank. If she asks what Im doing I'm just going to say I'm going over there to ask about something. And then I will go there and ask about something. I'll stop in at the bank on the way back. That should work.

You two need to move to Alberta. AISH recently got a boost to $1685/month, and I think there's an $800/month limit on earnings before they start clawing it back. We also have no provincial sales tax (so far). I've been getting a carbon tax rebate, as well (not much, but every bit helps).

If I were to get on disability, I think the maximum I could get would be in the neighbourhood of $1200/mo. Not sure what the income cap is. I believe somewhere around 9k a year.

If the Greens get their way, all of these allowances and monthly amounts should keep going up, but I have my doubts with the NDP.

Despite the struggles, I'm still trying to get to a point where I don't need to be on disability and I can be completely self-sufficient without worrying about additional dips in health taking me out of commission. Honestly, the idea of going through the disability process fills me with dread. The system is designed to break you and my doctor would be no help whatsoever during the process.

I came up with another part of my plan for tomorrow. Before she started going nuttier I used to walk over to a little game store near the pharmacy and the bank. If she asks what Im doing I'm just going to say I'm going over there to ask about something. And then I will go there and ask about something. I'll stop in at the bank on the way back. That should work.
Be careful. if you suspect she's following you around the streets then be extra careful.

She hates driving out on snowy roads (and hates walking in general), which is why I decided to do it tomorrow instead of waiting for better weather

When I conquer the world you'll command my armies, aimee.

Any good DM would insist on it, to aid in creating a more coherent background in which to set the campaign. They're also useful for giving the DM ideas for possible side-quests.

One of the fundamental irritants in FRPGs (in my view) is the general lack of a motive for why any of the characters do what they do. KTAATTS may make for a satisfying way to vent your anger, but it adds little or no nuance to a game.

One of my older NaNoWriMo projects is a prose adaptation of The Quest for the Crown of Kings (a 4-book Fighting Fantasy adventure). The bare motivation for the character is to get rich. My motivation for the character is to not only get rich, but to acquire as many magical items and spell components as possible... to aid in a larger, more personal quest that isn't part of any of the gamebooks. So she's not getting rich for its own sake. There's a purpose behind it.
Okay, okay.
I need a stew pot because I am a respectable cook.
And, also, it really does look like one of Getafix's.

So, sidequests? The one to make edible broccoli seems like a good starter.
Surely they need it the most? Lawful characters can attribute their action to external motivations- to law, honour, tradition, whatever. Chaotic characters have to establish that all actions originate from internal motivation.
Yeah, Chaotic doesn't mean "Lul I'm so random there's no logic behind what I do"
Hmm, yes; unfortunately, I've seen/read too much crap in which lazy writers simply write imbeciles doing things ‘for the lulz’.

And then you go to RL and find that people really are petty and lazy and stupid and small-minded and that's why Ivan Bunin's slice-of-life descriptions of life in rural Tsarist Russia overwhelm you.

I got hung up on the online bank account application, they wanted a phone number. I put in 123-4567 and it worked. Sorry to whoever actually has that number.
Oh dear, please do be careful! Using a fake phone number for opening your bank account is fraud and you can get in serious trouble.

I'll bring it up tomorrow and maybe they can remove it.

I managed to write a decently intricate and certainly salvagable with corrections, 9100 word story, in three hours, titled "moonstruck" (well, in english it would, i think). Powered by coke - i obviously mean 1,5 litres of coca-cola, you dazed fiends :)

I hope you mixed it with Fernet Branca as is good and proper.

Rave: I am gazing upon the black moon spectacle.

I'll bring it up tomorrow and maybe they can remove it.
Can you set up a PayPal account for yourself? You should be able to get a free debit card too, and you can use that so you can either withdraw money from an ATM or you can use your card for purchases. If you have an account set up I'll send you a couple hundred dollars American, you should be able to get yourself a basic cellphone and prepaid card from Wal-mart, and you can use that to start getting yourself setup.

Can you set up a PayPal account for yourself? You should be able to get a free debit card too, and you can use that so you can either withdraw money from an ATM or you can use your card for purchases. If you have an account set up I'll send you a couple hundred dollars American, you should be able to get yourself a basic cellphone and prepaid card from Wal-mart, and you can use that to start getting yourself setup.

PayPal doesn't support their debit card service in Canada, unfortunately. I wish they did. Would have made the past years a lot easier. :lol:

My PayPal account is currently attached to my current joint bank account, so I'd have to get the other bank account established first before that. (And then that has to wait because I fell and hurt my knee. Damn it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom