Random Raves νγ: Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 9:30 today I had a job interview. Shortly before 5 PM I got an email, they're offering me the job.
While I'm happy :bounce:, I'm also highly supicious... that came too fast lol o_O.

Good pay? Nice location? Great benefits? Interesting work?

Work fits perfectly what I've done before, and the communication with the people was great.
Good pay, well, it's at an university hospital, and as a researcher that doesn't mean great, but good enough. Industry would be more. Benefits as standard here, so for you that would mean great ;). Work should be interesting enough. Location good enough, in Rotterdam, but not perfect.
I guess I'll say yes. It's just too fast :lol:.

Googled Rotterdam. Y'all got some weird-[butt] buildings.

I hope you don't mean the bridge, apparently it's an architectonic masterpiece.
But otherwise it's all our fault, I'm afraid. We bombed it into oblivion in WW2, to get the Dutch to surrender without a fight. And as with many cities, it was re-build ugly. Can't help that :dunno:.
Would probably not live there, since I've previously lived close by due to my last job, so I know people close by already.

At 9:30 today I had a job interview. Shortly before 5 PM I got an email, they're offering me the job.
While I'm happy :bounce:, I'm also highly supicious... that came too fast lol o_O.

When I interviewed for my first real job out of grad school, I left the interview and drove home (a few hours). When I got home, I had an offer on the answering machine. I took it, and it worked out well.

I've been on a lot of hiring committees lately, and we've been trying to make our decisions quickly by discussing as we go and doing some reference checking before the interview. If you happen to be the last or next to last interviewee, you could easily find out about an offer in a matter of hours.

I hope so too :).
It's just more that I'm thinking that they might not have a lot of other candidates, and then the question would be why, since this seems to be a pretty normal job in my area.

Well, anyways, will take it, but will first sleep over it. I was a bit hesitant, but went working out, and figured while clearing my head that I'm not hesitant because of the job, but rather because I'm now deciding on something really long-term. Basically afraid that nothing will change for the next 20 years, but a) that's somewhat what I want a bit b) that would be similar in most other jobs too.

I still have another interview coming Monday. Should I do that one, or cancel it :think:? Cancelling would seem more honest.

A bird in the hand....

Accepting an offer and then continuing to interview seems an inappropriate way to treat either company.

The Spanish butts (and what butts) nearly made us forget about the war altogether. Although it appears we recovered just in time.
!!!

On the one hand, this is great news. May the rest of his gang of sociopathic thugs fall like dominoes. Turns out that the MLA for Red Deer South is one of the people who called for Kenney's resignation weeks ago (which surprised me, since Jason Stephan was always a good little follower before). My own MLA in Red Deer North is one of Kenney's adoring followers, and this makes me wonder now how she's going to deal with the draft curriculum issue without Kenney telling her what to say and do (not that she's a victim; she's absolutely a willing accomplice in this travesty).

On the other hand, if Brian Jean wins the leadership race, we're screwed all over again. He's basically Jason Kenney with slightly more brains and the full support of his church and followers in Fort McMurray.

But seeing him and Danielle Smith duke it out is going to require lots and lots of popcorn. She's an idiot.

Thank you for posting this. The announcement was supposed to have been made hours ago, and CBC closed the comments before 6 pm. Some people were speculating that the UCP didn't really mean 6 pm today, but rather 6 pm on whatever day they'd faked enough ballots for Kenney to "win."

Other people were cynically opining on FB that of course he chose this time for the announcement since there's a Calgary vs. Edmonton hockey game on tonight, and any time a hockey-related Battle of Alberta happens, that's where most people's minds are.

Other people were cynically opining on FB that of course he chose this time for the announcement since there's a Calgary vs. Edmonton hockey game on tonight, and any time a hockey-related Battle of Alberta happens, that's where most people's minds are.

Anecdotally, that seems to parse based on all the Albertans on my Twitter feed right now. There was about ten minutes of chatter about the resignation and then swerved into the hockey game. Not sure how useful that anecdote is since the people on my feed are socially aware and not the average Joe, so they'll undoubtedly have opinions the moment the playoff game is over.

Anecdotally, that seems to parse based on all the Albertans on my Twitter feed right now. There was about ten minutes of chatter about the resignation and then swerved into the hockey game. Not sure how useful that anecdote is since the people on my feed are socially aware and not the average Joe, so they'll undoubtedly have opinions the moment the playoff game is over.
The thing to remember about hockey, at least that's my experience here, is that even if you don't watch it, it's something everyone knows about and has some kind of opinion about. I haven't watched regular hockey since Gretzky was traded from the Oilers to the Kings, which was decades ago. But up until then, my dad and I would watch if the Oilers were playing. Things get rather intense here in Red Deer when it's Calgary and Edmonton playing, since we're exactly in the middle both geographically and in which team people support.

So yeah, I'd expect social media to heat up about Kenney after the game.

Funny thing about FB... I avoided it for many years. Now I belong to 4 political groups plus posting on my MLA's page. Nothing gets shared or posted on my own page, though. I did purge the friends list of the die-hard UCP supporters/NDP haters once I realized that's what they thought (was hard to defriend someone I'd been friends with since high school and attended SF conventions with, but she had links on her page to people advocating assassinating Rachel Notley (NDP leader). I want no connections to anything like that).

The Spanish butts (and what butts) nearly made us forget about the war altogether. Although it appears we recovered just in time.
Not sure if agreeing or grammar nazi stuff...
I would certainly have to agree that Chanel's butt is distracting :groucho:

...but(t) although she's lived in Spain most of her life, according to (a Tweet linked on) her Wiki-page she's technically Cuban-with-Spanish-ancestry (her grandmother?), rather than native-born Spanish. So maybe that's what Takh's enigmatic post referred to...?

I would certainly have to agree that Chanel's butt is distracting :groucho:

...but(t) although she's lived in Spain most of her life, according to (a Tweet linked on) her Wiki-page she's technically Cuban-with-Spanish-ancestry (her grandmother?), rather than native-born Spanish. So maybe that's what Takh's enigmatic post referred to...?
That must be it. Thanks for decoding Tak for me, pls stick around. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom