Random Raves νγ: Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
American haters of A&W and Dairy Queen should try the Canadian versions.
A&W is great, but DQ is really hit or miss. A well managed one is tasty, a badly managed one means every surface is sticky and you have the suspicion there is a lot going on in the kitchen that gives the health inspector the shivers.

Had a small SCA event this weekend where there was a fencing competition. A lot of the really good fencers were at a ceremony for someone getting an award, so the overall skill level was much more balanced.
I'm the one in the blue jacket, fighting with sword and dagger, against my opponent who was using sword and shield. She's better than me in skill, but for some reason always insists on fighting with sword and shield or dual swords and she always gets caught on herself and spends more time trying to keep track of where each hand and item is rather than the opponent.
You can see in the picture her sword tip and shield are protecting the same side of her body, and her sword tip is pointed nowhere near my body. I'm under very little threat if I just drop my sword tip under the shield and get her in the abdomen.
(My dagger is also completely out of position doing absolutely nothing, and should have been down low forming a 'wall'. This is to stop her her sword tip from pointing at my body because I misjudged the angle/too slow in the initial thrust and I impale myself.)

Last edited:
I'm the one in the blue jacket
I knew that face from somewhere.

I actually cannot see the tip of her sword. So I suppose that it's way over to her left and so her entire right is exposed. Am I looking at the picture correctly?

Exactly!

I had a small mental health crisis over the weekend, and yes I'm aware this is the raves thread, bear with me.

I've had reoccurring depressive episodes for a least t fifteen years, possibly longer, it's hard to make sense of your adolescent emotional state. Usually it's triggered by some external stressor, but I quickly spiral beyond any reasonable response. It's not permanent or debilitating, I'm at worst a "high-functioning depressive", but it has made life a lot harder than it needs to be.

Last week I caught a real bastard of a throat infection, frequent violent coughing fits, which basically prevented me for sleeping for three days. The exhaustion and sleep deprivation sent me into one of the blackest depressions I've had in years, but produce a moment of clarity: that if I can spent into such a deep pit of despair so quickly, with objectively no change to my external circumstances, then the problem is internal. My feelings can't be a reasonable response to the circumstances of my life when the circumstances haven't changed.

This of course seems obvious, but in the midst of a depressive episode, you can't see that: you're fully convinced that you really are worthless and your life really is pointless. Because the episode is usually triggered by some change in your circumstances, you can fool yourself into understanding this as a painful revelation of something that was always true. Outside of those episodes, you mostly try not to think about it, and that means although you might understand it intellectually, you don't really comprehend it. The proof being, you haven't acted on it.

But this time it hit me directly, so I'm doing something about. I opened up about it to my partner, and I'm looking at therapy options. I'm scared but hopeful.

Well, the road to recovery has to start somewhere. So I suppose that this is good news after all.

'Tis an interesting thought to know that one can train oneself's YouTube feed and bend it to one's wishes, namely, that YT starts offering one recordings of GTA Vice City's radio station soundtracks. :rockon:

'Tis an interesting thought to know that one can train oneself's YouTube feed and bend it to one's wishes, namely, that YT starts offering one recordings of GTA Vice City's radio station soundtracks. :rockon:

Lately it's been offering me every video I never knew about regarding Rockapella. I'd thought there were no original versions of "Zombie Jamboree" left uncensored (PBS had a conniption fit when they sang "I don't give a damn" in a musical clue on Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?" and all the videos I saw later substituted "dang" rather than the original word), but they missed a couple. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a complete video showing their appearance on The Tonight Show.

My court case is decided!

1 of the claims was thrown out completely,

The other three were reduced to 45%, after deduction of costs.

This is a fantastic result. They missed/got wrong one bit in the judgement, but otherwise everything has gone my way. Hopefully that is the end of this.

Their original claim was over £26,000! In the end I'll be paying out just less than £7000.

My court case is decided!

1 of the claims was thrown out completely,

The other three were reduced to 45%, after deduction of costs.

This is a fantastic result. They missed/got wrong one bit in the judgement, but otherwise everything has gone my way. Hopefully that is the end of this.

Their original claim was over £26,000! In the end I'll be paying out just less than £7000.
Now, going forward, follow the rules and avoid further lawsuits! Be a good landlord! Keep your tenants happy. :)

Lately it's been offering me every video I never knew about regarding Rockapella.
You need to learn how to train it. It's an art, I tell you.

Now, going forward, follow the rules and avoid further lawsuits! Be a good landlord! Keep your tenants happy. :)

Learn to follow the rules? :mischief: Maybe this will be the time the lesson sticks?

All through the correct beauracracy now. I want to stress out of the 30+ tenants I have now had over the years, most count me as the best they ever had, this was a bad bunch that went rotten!

You need to learn how to train it. It's an art, I tell you.

Hey, I don't mind when it tells me about videos of a music group I like.

I'm a bit confused as to why it started showing me stuff about cruise ships, though. Maybe because I watched a documentary about the Titanic?

Wow, so I saw the Muse concert in St. Louis a few nights ago and they sounded even better live than on their albums. :eek:

At first I thought they were cheating because they sounded too good, so I stared hard at the drummer for 2 songs and nope, no cheating.
Their sound guy must be a deity or something.

Anyway, they made a mess with exploding things, nailed song after song, and then rolled out a 30 foot tall kaiju puppet and it started moving around a little.
Then the lights started moving around on strings.
Then the stage, background, and ceiling blew up into a light show. >_>

Near the end people started leaving because they had been sitting for over 4 hours, so they cranked up the ending and sneakily rolled out a new 40 foot tall kaiju puppet that moved around a bit too and the light show on the ribcage was great stuff.

One OK Rock and Evanescence were ok.
They riled up the crowd more than Muse, but musically and putting-on-a-show Muse crushed everyone I've ever heard play live except maybe Journey.

*I have not actually seen a lot of live concerts.

**Edit**
Oh ya, one of the crowd claps on one of the songs was really challenging for me.
Clap Clap-Clap Clap Clap-Clap-Clap
Not sure why that stood out, but it did.

Last edited:
Muse regularly get written up as some of the best shows out there. Glad you caught an epic one!

Rave: it's Caturday!

It is in Australia already, and we live in one same world.
With this logic, we can have a 48-hour Caturday.

Last edited:
Well, it really is Caturday now, and I plan to share a meat sandwich with Maddy later.

Rave: I was going through the fridge prior to placing a grocery order and discovered a Kitkat bar I'd forgotten. It's still good to eat and my favorite variety. So that's dessert tonight.

roast duck for dinner!!!! If only it were roast duck on pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom