1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves #38: Raving Ravephats

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Tolina, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Full house, beaches!

2. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

^This is bad English.

First one:
    quarter of
    quarter till
    quarter to
    [x] forty-five

Second one:
    quarter past
    quarter after
    [x] fifteen

Only acceptable answers.

3. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Everything is bad

4. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Ya'll're taking english too seriously

Ya'll'll have to explain to me how it isn't a mess grammatically and isn't basically is a conglomeration of various spoken-word ad-hoc 'rules'

5. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

but if we don't speak proper english

do you know what awaits us?

total and utter anarchy

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know nuffink about no stinking anarchy, total and utter or not.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

General Squeeeeeeeeee on language usage being discussed here.
    A show being on isn't the same as the show being over, is it?
    I've already posited once or twice why we should all learn Bulgarian.
    No future for you!

8. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

To apply this even to his example: I would say a friend ON a bridge is standing on a bridge, whereas a friend OVER the bridge has crossed the bridge and is now standing on the other side of the river.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

okay fine I concede defeat

10. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Good.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Today I'm doing a sock draft! I'm pretty excited.

I've had piles of clothes that I don't use or are just dirty.. or whatever.. Yeah, I know, but such is the life of a bachelor. Anyway, yesterday I sorted through all this stuff and put it in 5 piles: socks, stuff that needs to be washed, stuff that needs to be washed that's nice enough to wear to work, stuff to donate to goodwill, and stuff that needs to be thrown out.

Anyway, for years I've had the issue of 80% of all my socks always being single. Just like me. So what I'm doing tomorrow is washing all those dirty/renegade socks, putting them all in a giant pile with all my clean socks, and doing a sock draft. Socks with holes with them get thrown out, socks that don't have a matching pair get thrown out, and the only socks that make the team are socks that do not have holes AND have a partner.

This is my very first sock draft. Pretty exciting times at the warpus residence

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't get the matching socks business at all.

If someone's bothered that I might be wearing odd socks to the extent that they actually look and see...

... they're the one with the problem. Not me.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I have all sorts of socks, hiking socks, winter socks, business socks, tennis socks, soccer socks, regular socks, long socks, short socks, thin socks, thick socks.. They don't have to match perfectly, but it's super annoying to wake up in the morning, find a sock you want to put on, and not find anything even remotely similar to it in the drawer. For some reason I have this problem. Thus the sock draft.

14. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I think you need a super-large chest of drawers with each drawer ear-marked (foot-marked?) for its own type of sock.

15. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

New CPU cooler installed and idle temps are down to high 30s, with bootup temp dropping all the way down to 45C from a previous high of 89. Woo!

16. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Are you going to muster them into regiments and drive out the sock-eating monster from its hiding place?

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Nah I just need to throw out all the single socks (there are a TON, don't ask me what happened to their partners), all the ones with holes in them, etc., sort all remaining socks by pairs, keep them organized, and always keep them in pairs. Then I might buy some extra socks of the exact same kind for everyday use. All my hiking socks are similar, so easy to keep track of, I have 2 types of everyday socks I wear, so that'll be easy to keep track of, and my business socks hardly get any use, so I can keep them separately.

All in all this project is long overdue, and one that my descendents will hear about for years to come. "Kids, gather round, grandpa warpus will tell the story of the great sock draft of 2016" .. "Mommy, what's a sock?" etc. I mean, assuming I even have kids, which right now I'm 98% sure I won't, but hey, you never know.

As for today's rave, the Canadian dollar is up to 77 cents in American money! It was down to 73 or something similar. My banking advisor guy at the time, when I was talking to him on the phone, sounded very negative, I think because he just recently managed to sell me on the tax free savings account (which I was sold on anyway but he didn't know that), so I think he felt bad that the economy was tanking and the money I had in there was losing value.. but I said "screw it" and told him to double the money in there (from my chequing account). Well, that seemed to be a great time to do that. My investment account/tax free savings account is now worth exactly what I paid for it. And that should improve, assuming the economy doesn't tank again suddenly. So, double rave!

18. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I'm a master sock-sorter. I find all the pairs. Unpaired socks are the product of incomplete or imperfect sorting at every stage of the cleaning process. Hence, single socks can be put aside and brought back with the next laundry, which is likely to yield a few pairs. And thus goes the cycle.

19. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I'm pretty organised in the sock department too. But inevitably every now and again a single sock will turn up with no partner being found in any wash cycle.

20. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Yep, and you end up having to pair mismatched socks.

as an aside, do people really just throw all their socks in a drawer without pairing them first?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.