Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I still never go out anymore pretty much, here's my weekend splurge:

The price of a meal with a beer at some random restaurant. So not really a splurge at all, but I guess the pandemic has got me budgeting differently. Let's do this

You go to some expensive random restaurants.

"....I'm not a racist, I love all people...but the thing is that there is no such thing as racism, only patterns of behavior...."

The key thing about that sentence is to wait for the but.

~$48 Canadian = ~$36 US. If you're taking home leftovers or paying for an SO or potential-SO, that's not bad at all.

Takhisis you have now been warned; next time Buenos Aires burns.
Waitwaitwait. I haven't been there yet and I have to get my passport renewed.

My downstairs neighbor moved out!

Couldn't have picked a better time too, just last weekend he broke quarantine rules to have a party and I got to hear these gems:
"...that whole area was overrun with ethnic types, you can't deny how dirty they made it"
"....I'm not a racist, I love all people...but the thing is that there is no such thing as racism, only patterns of behavior...."

I wasn't even eavesdropping, I just had my windows open and he always talks AT MAX VOLUME in every conversation because he is an All-American winner.
I recently got to hear a pest-control contractor tell me about his Pakistani customers. Hooray. :hammer2:

We have very different definitions of what constitutes a "decent" restaurant.
Well I'm thinking of a place you might go to that has quality food, but you don't have to be on a waitlist for. You likely will still need a reservation.

Appetizer: $15
Entree: $20x2 = $40
Dessert: $7.50x2 = $15
Wine: $30

Subtotal: $100
Tip: $20
Total: $120

Per plate: $60

So see, very easy to get there :)

Well I'm thinking of a place you might go to that has quality food, but you don't have to be on a waitlist for. You likely will still need a reservation.

Appetizer: $15
Entree: $20x2 = $40
Dessert: $7.50x2 = $15
Wine: $30

Subtotal: $100
Tip: $20
Total: $120

Per plate: $60

So see, very easy to get there :)
I mean, I see how you get there, I think we just have different styles for eating out, so please know I'm not being critical :beer:

Where we live there is plenty of quality food to be had for less...and given usual portion sizes at restaurants my wife and I often share. We will often get 1 appetizer to share, then get a $10-15 meal each OR split an entree for $20-25. If we still have some space we will split a dessert. When it comes to alcohol neither of us are big drinkers, so we will occasionally get a drink but usually not. We usually end the night having spent $50 or so.

Our favorite food tends to be at small mom-and-pop places or barbecue joints, which tend to be reasonable AND delicious. For very special occasions we will get dressed up and go someplace fancy, but to be honest that's not my preference.

Not really. That's $50 Canadian, which is like $37 American. That includes the tax and the bill, and I was including a beer in the cost. So if my entree cost $28 CAD ($21 USD), that would do it. That's $32 after tax and $39 after tip. The beer would be let's say $8 plus tax plus tip, about $11.

$28 for an entree at a "random restaurant" (using the same words as in my OP for consistency) would basically be a ribs entree at Kelsey's or an average steak or maybe a nice fish fillet entree. I usually also like throwing in their soup of the day or whatever, so what I can get for my $50 shrinks even more.

I could get $12 or so entrees if I went to a fast food joint, if you can call a greasy combo an "entree". For $15 you're talking a slightly more sophisticated sub shop maybe, maybe like a "fancy" taco place or something (3 tacos). $20 and you're talking an average entree at an average Irish pub, maybe a cheap pasta dish at an okay restaurant. $28 might be a nicer pasta dish at some place like Milestones.

Last edited:
Not really. That's $50 Canadian, which is like $37 American. That includes the tax and the bill, and I was including a beer in the cost. So if my entree cost $28 CAD, that would do it. That's $32 after tax and $39 after tip. The beer would be let's say $8 plus tax plus tip, about $11.

$28 for an entree at a "random restaurant" (using the same words as in my OP for consistency) would basically be a ribs entree at Kelsey's or an average steak or maybe a nice fish fillet entree. I usually also like throwing in their soup of the day or whatever, so what I can get for my $50 shrinks even more.
Kelsey's has gotten that expensive??

If anyone ever visits DC it was Le Diplomat, great place, one of the only places in DC that has Calvados shots. Their dinner menu is very fancy and expensive but they also have a much cheaper and still-great brunch menu.

I'm not really a fan of "mom & pop" restaurants, as I've found the food isn't really any different from what I could make at home, and there's not usually much of a selection variety.

My general rule-of-thumb is to avoid places that have static menus. All the better places I've been to change their menu either monthly or quarterly at least, depending on what's in season, and most also have unprinted options that the chef is making that day.

Kelsey's has gotten that expensive??

Checked their menu for this actually, ribs are $28 or $29 or something like that (CAD). Their burgers are $18. Their classic sirloin is $25, and I admit I didn't look that clsely at their pasta dishes, they are a bit cheaper at $18 or so.

I'm not really a fan of "mom & pop" restaurants, as I've found the food isn't really any different from what I could make at home, and there's not usually much of a selection variety.

My general rule-of-thumb is to avoid places that have static menus. All the better places I've been to change their menu either monthly or quarterly at least, depending on what's in season, and most also have unprinted options that the chef is making that day.
Like I said, we have different styles. I quite enjoy homestyle cooking, brings back nice memories of my mom and grandma. While I guess I could make it myself, I don't make the types of dishes we usually go to eat (or in many cases the level of flavor and ingredients are just much higher at the restaurant), so that's kind of a moot point for me.

I'm also a creature of habit, so if a place has something I like the selection variety means very little to me. There are a few places where I get the same thing every single time I go because it is just too tasty. You sound like more of a foodie than me, so it would make sense that we approach it differently.

As far as mom&pop restaurants go, when I travel those local restaurants that service locals can have some of the best food. It depends on where you go, though. In Nepal that means you'll get a super cheap meal that does not really touch on ... western sensibilities that much. But in Vietnam some of the best food I had was at rundown looking establishments that barely looked like restaurants, with all the patrons sitting on tiny plastic chairs. Whenever I ate where the locals ate, I always had a great meal in that country. All the restaurants that targeted tourists were a lot more expensive and sort of hit/miss. At the other end of the scale, fancy restaurants in Vietnam always had great cuisine, but I'm talking about a fancy 5 star French restaurant here for example, I paid like $70 USD after everything for an incredible 5 course meal that takes you on a tour of the whole country. Simply amazing food, and very far from a "mom n pop" sort of experience. In comparison, a pho at a local joint will set you back like $1.50 USD. The 2nd best pho in the whole country cost me about that much, it was amazing.

Here in Canada, all the mid-range restaurants are boring chain places that all have the same food. At least in a medium sized town like the one I live in. If you want good food you have to head to a speciality taco place or some mom n pop place that you researched beforehand. Locally owned restaurants are usually the best here, whether that satisfies "mom n pop" or not.

In Japan and Thailand I had the best food at any place that seemed to be locally owned in some way. Although that was hard to read at times. I had the best gyoza dumplings I've ever had anywhere at a restaurant that was falling apart, not very clean looking, under railroad tracks. Not usually a place I'd wander into, but it came recommended. So amazing, I have not been able to find gyoza dumplings like that since. You'd think a place like that was owned by some local peeps, but then again who knows. It seems to have been around for a while, since there was an elderly local who paid for my meal randomly at this place. The bartender made it sound like this place has been that guy's fav. place to hang out for quite a while. In Thailand I will never forget this tiny place I found just off a busy backpacker ghetto type street (with lots of restaurants targeted at tourists). I walked into a completely empty restaurant instead, with just like 5 seats or something. An old lady made me some of the most amazing food I had, and it was really cheap. Meanwhile all the party tourists were busy drinking pricy beers and eating subpar food on the main strip.

It really depends though, because you can for instance get some really good Indian food at Ao Nang beach, right on the main tourist strip. I believe that's because actual Indians run those restaurants (going by looks, I didn't ask, so I could be wrong). It's still hit/miss, but if you find the right Indian restaurant there, you'll get some really good food.

So it depends I guess, but chain restaurants are so boring. They all have the same food. Boston Pizza, Kelsey's, Casey's, and all those irish pub knockoffs.. Bleh.. I mean, the food can be okay, but we have a couple "restauranteurs" here in town who run a bunch of really good restaurants. We also have some Vietnamese families run some really good Vietnamese restaurants. To get the best food here you have to either look to the top or to the bottom. That's sort of been my experience around the world really. The stuff in the middle can be very hit/miss and is full of chains or restaurants targeted at travellers or those who don't know any better.

One reason I love visiting Toronto is because there are sooo many different food options there. It's a very exciting culinary scene. Not only do you find restaurants from all sorts of ethnicities, there's also all sorts of unexpected fusion style food, "elevated/fancy" restaurants, and people are always coming up with something new. i.e. a place that only sells gourmet sausages on a bun. You can walk around many parts of Toronto and walk past so much culinary variety. It's great. Hopefully all these unique restaurants weather the storm and survive this pandemic.

As far as mom&pop restaurants go, when I travel those local restaurants that service locals can have some of the best food. It depends on where you go, though. In Nepal that means you'll get a super cheap meal that does not really touch on ... western sensibilities that much. But in Vietnam some of the best food I had was at rundown looking establishments that barely looked like restaurants, with all the patrons sitting on tiny plastic chairs. Whenever I ate where the locals ate, I always had a great meal in that country. All the restaurants that targeted tourists were a lot more expensive and sort of hit/miss. At the other end of the scale, fancy restaurants in Vietnam always had great cuisine, but I'm talking about a fancy 5 star French restaurant here for example, I paid like $70 USD after everything for an incredible 5 course meal that takes you on a tour of the whole country. Simply amazing food, and very far from a "mom n pop" sort of experience. In comparison, a pho at a local joint will set you back like $1.50 USD. The 2nd best pho in the whole country cost me about that much, it was amazing.

Here in Canada, all the mid-range restaurants are boring chain places that all have the same food. At least in a medium sized town like the one I live in. If you want good food you have to head to a speciality taco place or some mom n pop place that you researched beforehand. Locally owned restaurants are usually the best here, whether that satisfies "mom n pop" or not.

In Japan and Thailand I had the best food at any place that seemed to be locally owned in some way. Although that was hard to read at times. I had the best gyoza dumplings I've ever had anywhere at a restaurant that was falling apart, not very clean looking, under railroad tracks. Not usually a place I'd wander into, but it came recommended. So amazing, I have not been able to find gyoza dumplings like that since. You'd think a place like that was owned by some local peeps, but then again who knows. It seems to have been around for a while, since there was an elderly local who paid for my meal randomly at this place. The bartender made it sound like this place has been that guy's fav. place to hang out for quite a while. In Thailand I will never forget this tiny place I found just off a busy backpacker ghetto type street (with lots of restaurants targeted at tourists). I walked into a completely empty restaurant instead, with just like 5 seats or something. An old lady made me some of the most amazing food I had, and it was really cheap. Meanwhile all the party tourists were busy drinking pricy beers and eating subpar food on the main strip.

It really depends though, because you can for instance get some really good Indian food at Ao Nang beach, right on the main tourist strip. I believe that's because actual Indians run those restaurants (going by looks, I didn't ask, so I could be wrong). It's still hit/miss, but if you find the right Indian restaurant there, you'll get some really good food.

So it depends I guess, but chain restaurants are so boring. They all have the same food. Boston Pizza, Kelsey's, Casey's, and all those irish pub knockoffs.. Bleh.. I mean, the food can be okay, but we have a couple "restauranteurs" here in town who run a bunch of really good restaurants. We also have some Vietnamese families run some really good Vietnamese restaurants. To get the best food here you have to either look to the top or to the bottom. That's sort of been my experience around the world really. The stuff in the middle can be very hit/miss and is full of chains or restaurants targeted at travellers or those who don't know any better.

One reason I love visiting Toronto is because there are sooo many different food options there. It's a very exciting culinary scene. Not only do you find restaurants from all sorts of ethnicities, there's also all sorts of unexpected fusion style food, "elevated/fancy" restaurants, and people are always coming up with something new. i.e. a place that only sells gourmet sausages on a bun. You can walk around many parts of Toronto and walk past so much culinary variety. It's great. Hopefully all these unique restaurants weather the storm and survive this pandemic.

I really like this post.

It doesn't match my preferences, really. One of the things I miss most from the East Coast are the chains. However, I am biased in this. Growing up, eating at a chain restaurant was something that would outright never happen. Ever. Sometimes if my dad wanted McDonald's or KFC I'd be allowed to get something, but that was it. Then in Niagara Falls, my dad would pick three or four restaurants, and we'd rotate them every day. My meal was picked for me at each. So something like a chain might be overly generic to others, but to me was the promised land.

I first ate at a chain, Kelsey's, when I was 15, then once more at an Applebee's at 18. That's it. Twice in my life. I loved them both times. People constantly say it's just microwaved food but I come from a background of "boil everything" and absolutely no food freedom, so even if their meals are microwaved, it was light-years ahead of what I was used to.

Vancouver doesn't really have chains like the East Coast. We have really expensive chains that are bar-oriented, stuff like Cactus Club. Expensive, bad food, overpriced drinks, all catering to a very specific crowd. I suppose in a vacuum it doesn't sound very different from the East Coast chains, but on the East Coast you could go to a chain with your family or alone or what-have-you and it would be fine. Here, it's a specific boisterous crowd that gets attracted to the chains. Doesn't have the same impact for me. Loud, alien, uncomfortable.

What I do agree with in your post is how the best food comes from places that don't seem it. My favourite Asian restaurants here have always been underrated places. My first was a Korean restaurant in the back corner of a plaza. Even its signage was restricted from view. They had the most amazing deopbap ever. I could have eaten it every day, and you got a big bowl for $8 CAD. When I moved I was sad that I was never going to have it again. They also closed down a few months after. :( Now I have another favourite Asian restaurant. No specific cuisine; they advertise as Asian fusion. Some Western stuff, and then some stuff from East Asia. Their advertising and signage is miserable. I originally thought they were a bagel place because they had one solitary poster in their window about fresh-baked bagels in the morning.

They have an excellent chicken burrito and an amazing Japanese pulled beef rice bowl. I also tried gyoza for the first time from them and it was really good, too. They did test Korean BBQ chicken bites for a while around Christmas last year that I loved, but they didn't keep making it, unfortunately. :(

When I hear "mom & pop" I think locally owned, but also not professional. Like small little diners, and such. In my experience, the best places are those that have professionally trained chefs (but not chains)

Chains are the worst. They're bad in the US, and I remember them being even worse in Canada. When I travel to Ontario and visit my family, we often go out to these types of restaurants ... and the food just tastes so cheap and bland. My last time at Boston Pizza, I thought the food tasted as if it came out of a can. Mass-chain restaurants also are in general extremely unwelcoming to vegetarian patrons, many don't even have a salad that doesn't come with meat.

If I was traveling, I'd definitely visit the "mom & pop" places, for the same reason I don't at home: there you get authentic local cuisine. You typically have to go to a nicer place to get more exotic food: but what's the point of that if you're going somewhere new? I'd want to experience what life is like locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom