1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

We rarely eat dinner out at all. We eat out at lunch weekly. The best places I find are locally owned across a variety of styles and ethnicities. An $8-$15 lunch at 2:00 in the afternoon allows for a very light snack in the evening. Before covid I could be easily enticed into a late breakfast somewhere that had great pancakes.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

They've detected phosphine on Venus. :D @hobbsyoyo

3. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Where the hell are you eating that a single entree costs 28 dollars????

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah I admit that should be more like $22 for your average entree. But if you throw in a cheap appetizer and you easily reach $50 after it's all said and done (w/ a beer and a 20% tip)

Boston Pizza is indeed not very good, although I did have very good flatbread there once... mind you they were just opening so they handed it out for free while we waited in line, a while ago now. So it's possible they took extra special care to prepare that flatbread.

Yeah and it can sometimes be a gamble, and sometimes the food is good because of a specific chef who only works certain nights, etc. So by walking into a below par looking restaurant you are by no means guaranteed a great meal. But you never know. You can also not always trust reviews, but I go out of my way to read a couple random ones anyway. I ignore all 5's and 1's and focus on somebody who might have given the place a 4 and had something to say, or somebody who gave a 2-3 and had some specific complaints.

MaryKB likes this.
  5. aimeeandbeatles

[3:26 PM] aimeeandbeatles: I wonder if someone went out without a mask but they were enclosed in a giant hamster ball if they would be allowed into stores
    [3:26 PM] Synsensa: they wouldn't be able to get through the door
    [3:26 PM] Synsensa: or fit in the aisles
    [3:26 PM] aimeeandbeatles: ...
    [3:26 PM] aimeeandbeatles: yeah that's a point

:shifty:

Hygro likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Give us a link, mon.

7. Synsensa

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2015/

Sommerswerd and tjs282 like this.
  8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Thanks!

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I had some "organic elk meatballs" along with a bunch of other stuff (paella, asparagus maybe? can't remember) at a nice restaurant in Idaho for $22 US (just the entree, real total would be ncloser to 35 or 40 with drink, tip, app etc

would do again, not often but maybe 2-4 times a year definitely

Synsensa likes this.
  10. aimeeandbeatles

A bit of a rave: the bookstore that burned down in my town is planning to re-open.

hobbsyoyo, Valka D'Ur, tjs282 and 2 others like this.
  11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

All the possible explanations don't make scientific sense. :confused:

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The text of the second (of three) parts of my new seminar reached 20001 words. Rather poignant, a kind of expanded version of 2001 a space odyssey. And now I should rest for a couple of days...

The_J likes this.
  13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

"Now that I have your attention, vote Nov 3rd!!!"
    - Chris Evans, upon deleting a certain photo he didn't want his mom to see. :lol:

And someone posted this on twitter:
    Spoiler :
    :clap:

Of course, if any of us ever runs into Evans in real life, we now have to ask him, "Hey, man, how's it hangin'?"

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Fall weather! 58F / 14C. Jackets. Jeans. No fan running in the window all the danged time.

MaryKB likes this.
  15. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Queen Supporter

Sweaters! :love::love:

Oh the joy of wearing a sweater that's way too big for you (and nothing else)

JohannaK and EgonSpengler like this.
  16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

:eek2:

:lol:

17. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

It's still on the old Space channel, right? (I refuse to call it "CTV sci-fi"). But it's at some crazy hour (4 am here).

Not that I'm not up at 4 am, but my day is winding down with a last game of something, a last chapter of a fanfic, Maddy's demanding a last meal before I go to bed, and it's too late to concentrate on TV... I tried watching a Wuauquikuna livestream at that time, and actually dozed off (even though some of their music is intended to relax people, I'd rather be awake to listen to it).

I will be so glad to get away from my across-the-hall neighbors and the upstairs neighbors (they're noisy and the people across the hall make no effort at social distancing or limiting the number of visitors).

I don't eat at restaurants anymore, but I do get takeout. One of the things that is part of the decision is how many meals I can get out of it. For instance, one fish & chips dinner from my favorite restaurant will do me for at least 3 meals - because it comes with 2 large pieces of fish, fries, a piece of garlic toast, and a serving of vegetables (not coleslaw, which I find disgusting). What I do with the veggies is split them into two portions, and use one as an addition to the won ton soup and another to mix with the fried rice.

@Synsensa: I did get that free pizza - it's a 2 for 1 deal, and one of them is still in my fridge, waiting to be eaten. The toppings are pepperoni, tomato, shrimp, and black olives. I also got some garlic toast and 3-cheese breadsticks (had to pay for that, since the free pizzas aren't delivered alone; you still have to buy $20 of something). But all this is doing me for about 7 meals or so.

Dinner at Chez Valka:

Appetizer: $.50
    Entree: $2.75
    Dessert: $.50
    Drink: $1

That adds up to some grapes, a can of chili, a couple of cookies, and a can of pop. GST and deposit included, no tip required. Maddy will be pestering me to let her have some of the chili, which I never do.

That's a non-takeout meal. A takeout meal will be more, of course. That aforementioned fish & chips costs $16.50, but it breaks down to about 3 meals' worth. I never drink alcohol, so it's either pop, water, fruit juice, or milk.

I very helpfully pointed out in the comments on CBC.ca that Ben Bova hypothesized this many years ago, in his novel Venus.

Mind you, in his novel, the life-forms started eating the spaceship the protagonist was in, so he and his crew had to collaborate with their rivals and transfer to their ship (which was built differently; not quite so many tasty parts).

Even on Skip the Dishes, some of the restaurants have prices like that. I avoid those places.

And on the umpteenth day, Emperor Kyriakos rested.

:p

Kyriakos, Synsensa and MaryKB like this.
  18. Synsensa

Right now it's not on anything. The showrunner is shopping it to networks. It's a done deal in the sense that they've figured it out and can get started. But it's nowhere in the sense that it needs funding and a place to air.

Still, it's Stargate, and nostalgia is at an all-time high for these things. I would be really surprised if nobody picked it up. Although I guess I could see shareholders not wanting to fund a "true to spirit" reboot and would rather have some cookie-cutter rule-by-committee reboot.

At the very least, SyFy might give it a season or two before cancelling. :lol:

I've never had shrimp on a pizza. The olives are a hard pass.

Pepperoni and tomato, though... :yumyum:

I don't think the Domino's here offer garlic bread. :( Or maybe they do... It's been so long since I've had it that I forget. Their cheesy breadsticks are okay but I find they get soggy if not eaten within a day. Same with the parmesan bites.

MaryKB likes this.
  19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I might be heading out to an establishment serving adult beverages and tasty culinary creations.. for the first time since March.

We will be meeting up at an outdoor patio tomorrow, at a pub that's way out of the way from the local university here. It will also be a bit cold, so it should be pretty empty of student types (who I am trying to avoid right now, we have a small outbreak cause of moron frosh week parties/orgies/wahtever)

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This is from Family Pizza. They used to have a seafood pizza that had shrimp and crabmeat with a different kind of sauce, but that was discontinued a long time ago. :(

Shrimp is quite tasty on pizza. Back in the '80s and '90s, my grandmother and I used to make homemade pizzas, and we usually included shrimp. She did the dough and I did the toppings. I experimented with some different things, and discovered that oranges and parmesan cheese is a tasty combination. The key to putting fruit on pizza is to make sure it's well-drained so it doesn't make the dough soggy.

I like the black olives because it adds a bit of salty flavor. And at this restaurant there's no charge for them, so it's basically a free veggie topping.

Synsensa likes this.