Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how you did it in Sweden (and Norway) when coffee arrived in the 18th century. Some apparently still do it today although I've never seen it IRL.
My grandfather must have learned it from his parents. His father was Swedish, his mother was Norwegian (her family is from one of the regions warpus visited on his Norwegian holiday), and he was born in Norway. He lived part of his youth in both countries, and traveled a bit (spent time in India) before making his way to Canada in the '20s. I have a couple of his baby pictures and a couple of school photos (all of these are pre-WWI). And there's one of him in the cavalry (my grandmother made a painting based on that one). Other old mementos of my grandfather include school documents (in Swedish, though he taught me how to read them), immigration papers, and passports.

Oh, and about the coffee... my mother said she couldn't believe her eyes, the first time she saw my grandfather do this.

Of course kids like to copy their elders... we all agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to drink my cocoa like that (my grandparents had afternoon coffee every day at 3:30 and when I joined them, I had cocoa... even after I grew up, as I hated tea and coffee).

What is she like?
She's a little taller than me (I'm 5'7"), in her 40's, a strawberry blonde, good figure, and she's very smart and pleasant in disposition. She is kind of shy, which I find endearing. And she's a nurse, so she understands my somewhat nutty life. :lol:

She has a child (a teenager), but the ex-husband has primary custody due to the rigors of her job. She felt it was better that way. In any case, I am smitten.

@Lemon Merchant Sounds great, just don"t talk shop all night. Being smitten is a wonderful state. I can see you glowing all the way in NM. :D

Today I learned the way to make iced coffee taste good is to get extra cream in it. Before, I'd just get it normal and then sadly wonder why someone would want the bitterness of coffee but cold.

In some areas of the world, iced coffee is made with a scoop of vanilla ice, whereas in others it's made with ice cubes.
The former way is obviously superior.

Well, not much of a rave, but:

Luckily I have more than enough for part 1 of the new seminar, so some stuff from there will be moved to part2.
Which makes me atm have roughly 50% of the seminar ready.

The plan is to avoid literature I haven't bothered to read. Which was tricky, given this was a seminar on fantasy literature.
Naturally I filled it with horror and magical realism, but some scifi and (the dreaded) high fantasy have to be there. Scifi should be ok-ish due to P.K. Dick, Arthur Clarke and some semi-randoms (I have no mouth and I must scream, flowers for Algernon etc). But high fantasy is a problem (I can't just write about Lord Dunsany or a couple of romanticist poems for twenty pages).

But high fantasy is a problem (I can't just write about Lord Dunsany or a couple of romanticist poems for twenty pages).

Let me get this straight. You have to write a 20-page analysis on a work of high fiction, like the Wizard of Oz or the Hobbit? Can you focus on a movie like Frozen or Stardust?

Let me get this straight. You have to write a 20-page analysis on a work of high fiction, like the Wizard of Oz or the Hobbit? Can you focus on a movie like Frozen or Stardust?

There is no way I would be able to write 20 pages on any actual high fantasy work.
But I can fake writing 5-7 pages on a real high fantasy, then fill 13-15 with hybrids that are more serious :)
That said, the section has roughly 50 pages, and involves three subtypes of fantasy: fairytale, magical realism and high fantasy (the other section is on horror and scifi). So not even 20 pages would be about high-fantasy in the first place, more like 13. And of those, 5-7 can be a fake high fantasy... More likely just 4-5 for actual high fantasy, the rest will be on Lord Dunsany who was a serious author.
Probably will just write stuff about Tolkien, cause at least I have read the Hobbit (yes, I know it isn't his most representative work, but what can one do).

Well, not much of a rave, but:

Luckily I have more than enough for part 1 of the new seminar, so some stuff from there will be moved to part2.
Which makes me atm have roughly 50% of the seminar ready.

The plan is to avoid literature I haven't bothered to read. Which was tricky, given this was a seminar on fantasy literature.
Naturally I filled it with horror and magical realism, but some scifi and (the dreaded) high fantasy have to be there. Scifi should be ok-ish due to P.K. Dick, Arthur Clarke and some semi-randoms (I have no mouth and I must scream, flowers for Algernon etc). But high fantasy is a problem (I can't just write about Lord Dunsany or a couple of romanticist poems for twenty pages).
Personally I would not omit Frank Herbert's Dune (first novel, not the rest of it, though the first 3 make the best part of the series). There are so many interesting themes to talk about in that book, some of which is playing out in RL right now. One of Herbert's main themes is "beware the charismatic leader". No matter how competent a ruler, no matter how benign his/her intentions, nobody is perfect and every leader is corruptible in some way. Or they get careless or start believing their own PR and consider themselves invincible - and there's where the corruption sets in.

Harlan Ellison? Wow. He had quite an ego, and a decades-long hatred of Gene Roddenberry and other Star Trek production people, because they dared to tell him that his original "City on the Edge of Forever" was unfilmable as written and it had to be revised. Both versions won awards (Ellison's version was later published in the volume "Six Science Fiction Plays").

High fantasy... people are going to say Tolkien, obviously. I'd recommend checking out some of the works of Poul Anderson. He wrote my favorite time travel series, but he was also into what could be termed "historical fantasy" based on Viking myths.

Fairy tales... you'd like the Brothers Grimm, since their stories are... grim. And scary as far as children are concerned (I remember being terrified of mud puddles for years after reading one particular story). There's a gaming company making fantasy adventure games out of some of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales.

Alice in Wonderland is a well-known fantasy that's generated all sorts of mainstream references and iconic characters (ie. the Cheshire Cat).

If you take "high fantasy" to mean medieval/Middle Ages mythology, there's a whole slew of works about King Arthur, Camelot, and Robin Hood.

There's been a lot of fantasy published over the last few decades based on tabletop RPGs - D&D and AD&D for the most part.

You'd have a harder decision figuring what to leave out than what to put in.

^It is a time (and will) issue, I cannot really include works which I either don't find interesting or simply haven't read :D
Dune would take time to read, and the Scifi list probably is ok as it is, although I may try to read one of Lem's novellas as well... (the one about the combining chemicals which kill).
Re fairytales, most of the examples are from Andersen. There are some general ones from various euro countries, like Bluebeard from France.

I sort of detest high fantasy, so will include as many hybrids (aka not really high fantasy at all) as possible. Eg the Angels at Mons (or how it is called), by Machen :jesus:
Which gave me an idea, I should include Lovecraft's "The Cats of Ulthar", given I have already translated it...

Last edited:
Okay, if you want something really short, how about Aesop's Fables? I consider them fantasy, since animals don't really speak English. They're short to read and are designed to teach lessons and morals.

Okay, if you want something really short, how about Aesop's Fables? I consider them fantasy, since animals don't really speak English. They're short to read and are designed to teach lessons and morals.

I might, if I need to fill more pages (which I likely will...).
Those are a kind of parable, given Aesop always explains what the moral of the story is.

So you are doing seminars on things you don't know anything about?

We can't all be making money by selling crap to the poors, BJ.
What I said and what you replied are not really connected. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom