Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of our old apartments, the only room in which I could get the wi-fi to work was...the bathroom. Even sitting next to the router in the living room it would drop out.

Thankfully the only thing using wifi at the time was my Kobo reader.

Things are starting to look good, on many fronts.
Financially it seems that I will be fine by January (second concurrent online seminar up), but other things are (for the first time in aeons) apparently getting a lot better.

I am actually thinking of running a seminar on Gödel's theorems, in Athens, this Spring or a little later. First I have to actually complete the texts (won't be an online seminar), and before that I have to actually be deeply aware of the theorems, but like I said things are looking better...

Banking here is a little iffy. :dubious: Very long holds are put on deposits. :sleep:

I went into PSB, expecting $2,500 to be available. I was told, no, $3,500 is available. :faint: Where the additional $1,000 came from, I have no idea. :eekdance: I went into PNB, expecting $500 in interest on my pension deposit would have been transferred over. I was told to come back after lunch...which turned out to be closer to 15:00 :sad: but finally it too arrived. In sum, I arrived expecting to leave town with $0 to $3,000 but left with $4,000. :goodjob::cooool:

Worry not. I'm spending none of the mysterious $1,000 until I determine it's not leprechaun gold. :hide:

Two new Asus routers are up and working in a mesh wifi arrangement providing what appears to be better service than we had before. Yippee ki yea!
Relatedly, we finally managed to dig through all the walls and push the LAN cables through. Blessed be the Ethernet.

Last edited:
I have to keep a closet sliding mirror open to get the 5g to work in my study room. The 2.4 barely creeps through but is also affected.

When the internet isn’t working I know the mirror has been slid closed.

I have to keep a closet sliding mirror open to get the 5g to work in my study room. The 2.4 barely creeps through but is also affected.

Is it lined with lead? :lol:

Seriously, the joy of being able to post in an IRC channel (or work calls with customers) without being disconnected every three minutes by random drops in WiFi intensity derived from the upstairs children taking turns to poop and therefore turning the bathroom into a lightswitch rave is worth the pain of using power tools and then patching up with cement.

Our new WiFi is fabulous. One system throughout the house (the old one had two and you had to switch) and good coverage in every room; and it it even connects under my breakfast arbor in the back yard. We have two Asus RT AC86u routers paired into a mesh network.

Yes, but the construction of some places makes that inviable. E.g. here wifi is stymied by the maze of water and electricity pipes in and around the bathroom which makes for a lot of otherwise undetectable electromagnetic interference. And yes, Synsensa, we have extra pipes because we have a bidet.

Our routers are about 60 feet apart and the main one (source) is in a small room with plaster walls. The second one projects through an adobe wall that is about 10" thick.

Yes, but the construction of some places makes that inviable. E.g. here wifi is stymied by the maze of water and electricity pipes in and around the bathroom which makes for a lot of otherwise undetectable electromagnetic interference. And yes, Synsensa, we have extra pipes because we have a bidet.
I'll give you an extra pipe.

^Hehehe, I just watched ‘My sitter, my sister’ today.

Aren't most pipes plastic these days? Some incoming water runs through copper, but everything else is now plastic.

Aren't most pipes plastic these days? Some incoming water runs through copper, but everything else is now plastic.
Nnno. This is an old apartment building and a lot of the piping is still metal. In some parts it's been replaced with plastic but only as repairs, not as a general scheme of replacement.

Someone is out on the lake tugging around a giant statue of Borat wearing nothing but a facemask as a mankini to promote the release of the new movie tomorrow. :D
Spoiler :
20201022_154206.jpg

Brand new stuff, sure. I had a pipe rust out and I have about 2' of plastic piping, :lol:

It certainly was cheaper to replace it with plastic and clue then to acquire the right die for the cut length.

Plastic drains sewer lines in homes have been a thing in NM for over 25 years.

…but neither Farm Boy nor I are in New Mexico.

It's a house. 25 is brand new. :lol:

At least that's how I'd think about it if I didn't stop to think about it.

Done zoom meeting, free time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom