Random Raves LII: Years May Come, Years May Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
Folks who dropped in on this OP earlier will notice a different title and post. My apologies for the less than rave-worthy original one; I really wasn't in a good mood at the time.

Someone posted this video on another forum, and it seemed to me to be an ideal way to bid farewell to an old year. All of us had problems of some sort related to the pandemic, but it wasn't all bad (I hope).

Anyway, presenting the Irish Rovers, over 50 years ago. The singer in this recording is now 80 years old.

Spoiler Previous Threads :

Random Raves
Random Raves Two
Random Raves Three: Happiness and Joy
Random Raves Four: Momentary Diversions on the Road to the Grave
Random Raves V: Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive
Random Raves VI: Put on a Happy Face
Random Raves VII: I liek ma gun, liek ma gun!!
Random Raves VIII: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Random Raves IX: Walking on Sunshine
Random Raves X: Success Tactics
Random Raves 11: It's getting better all the tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!
Random Raves XII: I grabbed two beers and bailed.
Random Raves XIII: Christmas Presents On a Soma Holiday
Random Raves XIV: The Rave of the Century
Random Raves XV: Like Skipping Through A Field of Flowers
Random Raves XVI: Runnin' Down a Dream That Never Would Come To Me
Random Raves XVII: A sporran in my kitten!
Random Raves XVIII: Life is a beautiful woman
Random Raves XIX: My nipples explode with delight!
Random Raves XX: Unexpectedly Brilliant in Twenty Different Ways
Random Raves XXI: The Server Is Working
Random Raves XXII: Danger of Happiness Overload
Random Raves XXIII: Everything went better than expected
Random Raves XXIV: Your face will melt off
Random Raves XXV: DANCE PARTY
Random Raves XXVI: I Get High With a Little Help from My Friends
Random Raves XXVII: And what in the blue blazes is a ROFLcopter?
Random Raves XXVIII: Death by Snu Snu
Random Raves ΚΘʹ: Kick it up a notch! (term is over!)
Random Raves XXX: 100-Proof Proof of Bolshevik Hegemony
Random Raves XXXI: New Year Raveolutions
Random Raves ΛΒʹ: Let us eat cake
Random Raves XXXIII: Let us all eat chocolate and rejoice
Random Raves ΛΔʹ: Tank Goodness
Random Raves XXXV: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
Random Raves XXXVI: HAPPINESS ENFORCED BY STRICT MODERATION!!!
Random Raves 37 - Already CFC is returning to harmony
Random Raves #38: Raving Ravephats
Random Raves #39: Life is good
Random Raves 40: Happy new year
Random Raves XLI: One More Trip Around the Sun!
Random Raves XLII: How Amazingly Unlikely is Your Birth!
Random Raves XLIII: Ai has THIS many penguins (and a dozen moar besides)!
Random Raves ΜΔ: Crate Expectations
Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Random Raves XLVI: 145,784 and Counting: Every story happens one word at a time.
Random Raves XLVII: Who wants cookies?
Random Raves 00110000: "Sunshine, sunshine is fine..."
Random Raves 49: Cats Can Have Little a Salami
Random Raves 110010-vast hordes of toilet paper
Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

This is #52, for those who don't read Roman numerals.

My rave has to do with grocery shopping. Maddy was out of canned cat food and Extremely Displeased. No cat food was listed for sale in this week's flyer, so I just asked the clerk taking my phone order what the non-sale price was.

To my utter shock (and hers), the price of an 85g tin of cat food was 89 cents.

The price of a 156g tin of cat food was... 68 cents.

Same brand, definitely not even close to its best-before date, just a larger size.

This makes no sense, but I'm not going to argue with a price like that. Now Maddy is happy and that's what matters. :love:

Last edited:
As long as we're posting songs about new years:

As long as we're posting songs about new years:

If you want to post songs in this thread, they have to be nice ones, or at least optimistic. After all, this is the raves thread.

Part of my reason for posting the video is a rave. The guy singing in the video is someone I actually met, in 1993, after a concert I attended. It was wonderful to have a few minutes to chat and talk about music (he asked if I played any instruments, and I mentioned the organ and accordion; he said he'd thought I would have played the flute - which I hadn't mentioned because although I did try, I wasn't good enough at it to let other people hear me).

That's something I plan to remedy, btw. It's 28 years later, and time to try again.

Music has its own threads; lets not turn this one into one of them.

I don't see a problem with an occasional bit of music, as long as there's a point to it being considered a rave, and not posted with no explanation.

For instance, I could post a rave about stumbling across a video of the Irish Rovers' 25th anniversary show that someone uploaded in March last year.

Music is a rave.

Most appositely:

(we used to listen to this with VRWCAgent - I wonder where he is these days)

Former UFC welterweight & middleweight champ Georges St. Pierre recently posted a photo of himself that sure looks an awful lot like a man experimenting with cutting weight to ~160 lbs. Perhaps he's hoping to test his mettle against a certain Dagestani bear-wrestler? :clap: Pure speculation, of course.

Now I just quietly put away the old one ready to be junked and try not to worry about my contribution to our wasteful consumerist thowaway society.
If the old one simply stopped working, that contribution's more on the manufacturer, not you so much.

"Wasteful" would be trashing a still-functioning keyboard simply because you wanted a shiny new one. IMHO.

If the old one simply stopped working, that contribution's more on the manufacturer, not you so much.

"Wasteful" would be trashing a still-functioning keyboard simply because you wanted a shiny new one. IMHO.

True but I do buy cheap keyboards. Don't know if expensive ones are built to last, probably just more fancy buttons, but stuff should be built to last and/or repairable.
I'll start going on about how it used to be in the good old days soon :blush:

True but I do buy cheap keyboards. Don't know if expensive ones are built to last,
They are built to last actually. They have much better switches if you buy a mechanical keyboard. A decent mechanical can be had for around $100 CDN (I forget what that translates to in pounds, sorry) and should last a good ten years. Switch life on those keyboards is > 1,000,000 keystrokes.

The only drawback is that some of them tend to be a little loud, but you can get "silent" mechanicals now which are much quieter.

About £58, apparently, which is already four times what I'd pay for a keyboard. ;)

Friend visiting from interstate, other friends moving to an apartment a few minutes walk away, my partner got a new job, and I might be getting back to employment soon myself.

Pretty exhausting though; but the good kind, despite getting an average of about 3 hours of sleep a night over the past couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom