Random Raves XLIII: Ai has THIS many penguins (and a dozen moar besides)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you think I mean by pretty legit?
You're the one who said it. You tell me.

To me it sounds like you're trying to say it's not completely "legit."

So: Since I'm not a mind reader, I'm asking what you mean by "pretty legit".

I mean, is anything really completely legit?
"Pretty legit" is a good thing, it's not trying to make out that it's dodgy or anything.

I mean, is anything really completely legit?
"Pretty legit" is a good thing, it's not trying to make out that it's dodgy or anything.
Let me put it this way: Is Hygro a doctor? Does he have a thyroid condition that makes it necessary to take medication for it?

Since to the best of my knowledge the answer to both questions is "no," then I don't think he should be spouting off opinions that a necessary medication is "pretty" legit.

That's like saying insulin is "pretty" legit for the diabetics who need it.

Let me put it this way: Is Hygro a doctor? Does he have a thyroid condition that makes it necessary to take medication for it?

Since to the best of my knowledge the answer to both questions is "no," then I don't think he should be spouting off opinions that a necessary medication is "pretty" legit.

That's like saying insulin is "pretty" legit for the diabetics who need it.
I believe the emergency number for the tone police in Canada is 069

I mean, it's more like saying a particular source of insulin is pretty legit if I'm recalling the context correctly but w.e
Hygro said:
The saving grace I guess is that thyroid medication is pretty legit, and for those even-fewer who need the meds more particular than the standard routine, there's a few forms it comes in to be juggled.
There is nothing in that about a "source." It's questioning the legitimacy of thyroid medication.

I recalled incorrectly, but still, he's not really questioning the legitimacy of thyroid medication

I have taken four different kinds of thyroid medication and the idiom "pretty legit" means a thing is notably good and can be counted upon. I am lucky enough to be one of the rarer persons whose thyroid has improved with time and treatment of other things, though lately I've been wondering if I should be back on. None of that is even pertinent to the meaning of my post.

And of course no medication at this juncture is more legit than a fully functioning body. But it can be a lot more legit than an under-functioning body and that's pretty darn legit. Anyway...:

How a saving grace of pretty legit medication means "the medication is of questionable legitimacy" is a bizarre reading. "Pretty" doesn't mean "questionable" and "saving grace" entails the rest of the post should be consistent with extolling the virtues of the efficacy of thyroid medication.

It's cool, Hobbs understood me tho.

"Pretty Legit" is as good as you're gonna get with the US health care system.....

Are universities subject to grade inflation, though? Getting an A in public school only means you didn't doze off in class.

Yes of course I'm happy for you.

Are universities subject to grade inflation, though? Getting an A in public school only means you didn't doze off in class.

Yes of course I'm happy for you.

I mean:

1) This is the University of Chicago, a rather notoriously rigorous institution
2) This is a grade for a Master's Thesis, and the adviser's name will be forever attached to it (including if I have it published), so presumably something she's going to take seriously in evaluating. This isn't some tickytack fill-in class.
3) Again, this is a Master's Thesis. I spent the whole year doing careful, painstaking research on the thing. So, uh, thanks for your assessment.

I have taken four different kinds of thyroid medication and the idiom "pretty legit" means a thing is notably good and can be counted upon. I am lucky enough to be one of the rarer persons whose thyroid has improved with time and treatment of other things, though lately I've been wondering if I should be back on. None of that is even pertinent to the meaning of my post.
I took "pretty legit" to mean "somewhat legit" which in turns means "not entirely" and of course that's ridiculous. I'd be dead now if not for the medication I'm on. And it doesn't get more "legit" than that.

And why didn't you just explain all this to begin with, rather than stringing it out? :huh:

I took "pretty legit" to mean "somewhat legit" which in turns means "not entirely" and of course that's ridiculous. I'd be dead now if not for the medication I'm on. And it doesn't get more "legit" than that.

And why didn't you just explain all this to begin with, rather than stringing it out? :huh:

People think it's funny to troll you.

FWIW, I had a similar interpretation as yours. Describing thyroid meds as "pretty legit", to me, comes across as casting doubt on medication in general with thyroid meds being the questionable exception.

Those for whom it was intended, got it immediately. No one strung it out but you.
My post was not directed at you. And as someone who has depended on thyroid medication for many years, I don't like to see its effectiveness dismissed as "pretty legit." If Hygro's situation has improved, that's great. Not everyone gets to say that.

People think it's funny to troll you.

FWIW, I had a similar interpretation as yours. Describing thyroid meds as "pretty legit", to me, comes across as casting doubt on medication in general with thyroid meds being the questionable exception.
Two Things
1: People are jerks
2: Vaccines cause autism therefore all medication causes some degree of mental condition, such as communism.

T H E S I S

I thought a thesis had to be approved by a committee. The fact that it was graded sort of gave me an impression of routineness (sorry Owen).

Last edited:
My post was not directed at you. And as someone who has depended on thyroid medication for many years, I don't like to see its effectiveness dismissed as "pretty legit." If Hygro's situation has improved, that's great. Not everyone gets to say that.

Hygro's post wasn't directed at you either. As I'm sure you would be the first to say, if you don't want CFC users responding to your posts, don't post on CFC. Looking back at the original context I'm not sure how you can possibly have interpreted "the saving grace is that thyroid medication is pretty legit" as in any way shape or form casting doubt on thyroid medication in particular or medication in general. In any case Hygro quickly clarified what he meant but you are still accusing him of "dismissing" thyroid medication. So again, who is stringing this out?

I thought a thesis had to be approved by a committee. The fact that it was graded gave me an impression of routineness (sorry).

No, typically it's a dissertation, which is what you do when you go for a doctorate degree, that is "defended" from a committee of quasi peer-reviewers. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it 'normally' works. Theses are less hoity-toity because you're typically doing a thesis to complete a master's degree. But still, as Owen points out, it's a situation where professional reputation can easily be on the line, which for the most part makes it very different the grades you give students in your undergrad courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom