1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haroon

haroon Chieftain

@Lemon Merchant you are so brave and you did the right thing, you can fought him back under the pretext of self defense and if you keep on the attack you can do that under the pretext that you are afraid because of his attempt to retaliate. Unless it is amateur boxing or mma like martial art, it shouldn't be treated as you are some sort of having an edge against this man, tae kwon do is a neutralized form of martial art that is already adapted strictly for competition purposes (measure by point and not full body contact). It's beyond me how the police turn the table to you. But I'm really really glad you are alright.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, i managed to write a nice new short story (4000 words). Though checking my diary it seems the last half-decent one was 3 months ago... (4500 words iirc). That is terrible - though translating work is to blame for that, and without said job i would have no money so i cannot drop it.

Still, it is something. Even in order to write a half-good story i first needed to write two others, which are disgarged like a scaffolding. Even so, at least this time the scaffolding led to some kind of permanent building too.

yung.carl.jung, haroon and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I guessed so, but didn't know how to interpret it, so I attempted a (failed) joke.
    Just for clarification ^^.

Congrats :goodjob:.

4. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator

Apparently, in Canada, if you know martial arts you have to be very careful about using it as it is considered to be having an unfair advantage over your opponent. You have to be very very careful about the perception of excessive force. I did some checking and legally I'm ok, but if I had kicked the guy again while he was getting up, or followed my initial kick with a punch (or another kick) I may have been deemed to use excessive force. According to my instructor, I am allowed to use only enough force to protect myself or to diffuse a situation. I am not allowed to "beat someone up." I cannot initiate, and I can only defend. In this case I did the right thing. He hit me twice and I blocked his third punch. At that point, I could say that I reasonably feared for my safety and I was justified to do what I did, but not more than what I did.

Well, come on... Don't leave us hanging. :p

The_J, haroon and Birdjaguar like this.
  5. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

:nono: You mods banned the babes threads and the hunks threads, now you don't get to ask for racy imagery.

Birdjaguar, cardgame and Ajidica like this.
  6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Even if they hadn't already been banned, they probably would have eventually, after Google decided to crack down on sites showing certain kinds of images (it led to certain screenshots from specific episodes being banned from TrekBBS even though you can still find them all over the internet with a Google Image search).

7. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

thx

not a lot to talk about yet, just some messaging resolution likely inappropriate for the forum or at least an over-share :p

The_J likes this.
  8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Britain coming dead last in Eurovision is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

At least it wasn't nil points, right?

10. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

I watched part of it live on RAI. Just the fact that they allow such a thing to be shown is sufficient grounds to ban Eurovision from existence.

Lexicus likes this.
  11. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I decided to pass this year because Israel.

Lexicus and Snerk like this.
  12. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

After either six or nine years single, depending on how you count it, I'm no longer that way. I mean, it's not Facebook-official yet but I'm pretty sure it will become so in the very near future.

To give some idea of how good a match we are, I brought science toys to our first date, including little pieces of gallium and indium. She held a gallium piece until it melted and pressed a piece of indium around another to make a gallium-indium alloy that is liquid at room temperature, covering her hands with it despite repeated warnings about how hard it is to get gallium stains out of anything. She didn't worry at all about that. She also got a kick out of my lasers and thought the uranium sample I brought was cool, asking good questions about radioactive decay.

Yesterday we walked/slipped in mud through a forest park just after a thunderstorm, picking up bugs and whatnot. We talked about silly things like using CRISPR gene drives in humans for 21st century eugenics and creating computer models of deer physiology that could predict whether a deer strapped to the roof of a car would survive the journey. And I met her cats, which also liked my lasers! I like her really sweet, goofy-looking Sphynx cat, and the kitty likes me too. The black cat sucks though - he mostly just hissed at me and nearly got his eyes burned out by looking back at my laser. There was also some stuff I'm not allowed to talk about here.

:nuke::scan::science::love:

13. The_J

Sounds like you leveled up and increased your charisma ^^.

Own rave: The 10k today went better than I expected, proud of myself :D.

Bootstoots, tjs282, Snerk and 2 others like this.
  14. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

But seriously though, congratulations.

tjs282 and Bootstoots like this.
  15. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

If you're going to do that then you'd better not watch it ever, which would be no loss.

I stumbled on it while flicking from channels, watched about a minute and a half, and decided that if that was one of the finalists then they'd better just cancel the show and feature a rerun of A raccontare comincia tu. But probably they won't.

16. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Sorry about what happened, the guy is a dick.
    I think you could get into a legal trouble if you accidentally hurt him too much. Like if he fell on the road and hit his head.
    IIRC Canadian laws regarding self-defense are similar to what we have here - knowing martial arts can be aggravating factor, almost like using weapon.

17. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

:clap: You should be.

The_J likes this.
  18. The_J

Thanks man :D.

So, today I just sent the lady a humorous reminder, and guess what: Seems the original email ended up in her spam folder, but she got this one, and is up for a date.
    So...awesome, might have fun next weekend :bounce: :D.

hobbsyoyo, Birdjaguar and tjs282 like this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

@The_J Treat her nice and don't be too weird. :)

20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I'm still not sure that I've got the gist of the rave and rant threads, but I'll have a go...

I used to sing songs by The Smiths as lullabies to my son. When he needed to learn poems for school, I taught him some of John Cooper Clarke's works.
    20 years later, to our great surprise, JCC appeared at a series of performances around Australia, "The Big Day Out". Poor old JCC forgot some of his lines and my son was able to help him out from the front row. Score 1 point for dad.

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago when I decided to give my son funds for a trip to Europe.
    In return, he decided to book both of us to see an old favourite of ours!
    If it was to see that awful grump
    Spoiler :
    Morrissey

would that warrant a rant?

Instead, he decided to book us to see
    Spoiler :
    John Cooper Clarke in Berlin

in about 4 weeks from now, so does that make this a rave?
    In any case: How unlike a serpent's tooth it is to have a grateful child!

The_J, tjs282 and Birdjaguar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.