1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I find that I prefer the taste and texture of soy based meat substitutes over the real thing in many dishes. I just wish the cost would come down.

Snerk likes this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

It's treason, then.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

@warpus please uphold this sentence.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't think the taste and cost are there yet, but one day might be for me to make the switch, because I love cows and the environment and sustainable digestive practices

5. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes, OK, but… pork.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I like never getting gristle, tendons or bone bits in my dishes when using fake meat. Texture is super important to me and for some dishes, the soy options are just better in my opinion.

I wonder if lab grown meats will be more or leas environmentally friendly than fake meats.

The_J, Snerk and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

What does pork eat? What does fake pork eat? Fake soy pork eats sun, dirt, and nitrogen, and weeding/insect removal. Fake fake pork will eat whatever its raw food pre-derivatives eats.

Dachs likes this.
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Well.. if they can make it indistinguishable from the real stuff in taste and texture, and when the price point is there, I would probably switch. Assuming it's equally accessible in grocery stores, etc.

To me it's all about the taste. And sustainability. Mainly the taste, but if you can get it to be exactly the same, then I'm down with it. Save the pigs, maybe they'll be happier living and doing other things. Maybe they can become man's 2nd best friend and compete with the cat.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Is this an objection or a promotion?

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Do pigs purr? No.
    Do pigs cuddle up under the blankets? No.
    Do pigs meow? No.
    Do female pigs have kittens? No.
    Do pigs make a decent substitute for Happy Cat and the rest? No.

I can't imagine why I'd want a pig for a pet.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Are pigs smarter than cats? Yeah they are actually pretty smart!
    Do pigs knock things over for no reason? Probably not!
    Can pigs be trained to bring you things? It's possible!

cardgame likes this.
  12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Cats will bring you dead stuff without any training at all.

rah likes this.
  13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

It is not.

14. Valka D'Ur

Can pigs speak cat? No? Then to the cat, the pig isn't smart at all. It's more than just "meow" or purring or growling. There's a whole other body language vocabulary to understand as well.

Very true, and the proper response is to praise the cat and say "thank you" - because when they do that it's an expression of love.

15. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Non-existent cows don't fart methane.

16. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

they canceled school again

Lexicus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I want a pet mud crab .... :blush:

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Stolen from the Rants thread, because this is more of a Rave...

I was at a con in Milwaukee in the late-'90s. The highlights that I remember:
    • The Violent Femmes played a free concert.
    • I rode an elevator with Mira Furlan.
    • Phil & Kaja Foglio hosted a party to promote their adult card game.
    • My friends and I were in our hotel room playing a board game one night, and some guy we didn't know ran into our room, slammed the door behind him and cried out, "I'm being chased by werewolves!" We offered him a beer and he joined our game for a while.
    • Somebody had built a completely insane diorama for playing the miniatures game Space Hulk. It was a big table, maybe 8'x4' or something, with 2 levels. Meticulously painted Space Marine Terminators and Genestealers. The guy said it took him about 3 years, and he used a Borg cube and the Nostromo as inspirations for the interior of the space-hulk. I don't think he was a retailer or a sales rep or anything, I think he was just a hobbyist.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  19. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

That's pretty cool.
    I found out last year that Bill Mumy played the little kid in Twilight Zone that had the terrifying god-like mind powers.

20. Valka D'Ur

• I got into an odd board game situation the year I went to BanffCon. Alberta had a regional science fiction convention every Thanksgiving weekend that alternated between Edmonton and Calgary, but one year we had it in Red Deer and a couple of times they had it in Banff; people from all over Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia) and others from Washington and Idaho would attend.
    What happened was that somebody left some board games in the Con-Suite and some people set up a game of Aggravation. Since I hadn't anything planned for the next while, I joined the game and it came down to me and a guy from Vancouver. Next thing we knew, we had attracted a crowd of onlookers, who dubbed it "Alberta vs. BC" so I ended up defending my province's honor (it took awhile, but I won :p).

As for elevators, a few years earlier I ended up riding an elevator with Alan Dean Foster, with whom I'd had an unexpected encounter the previous day in the dealer's room. I happened to pick up one of his books I didn't already have, and someone behind me said, "That's a good book"; I turned around to see who said that and it was Alan Dean Foster himself. So I very quickly paid for the book and caught up to him as he was leaving, and asked him to autograph it. He did, and the next day when my roommate and I were going downstairs for breakfast he was in the elevator. He said good morning, and went to the dining room for breakfast (we went to the regular restaurant). My roommate wondered who that was, and I asked her if she'd read the program book - that was the GoH we'd ridden with. So she was kicking herself a bit for not recognizing him.

Alan Dean Foster is one of the nicest con guests I've had the pleasure of meeting. We exchanged emails some 20 years later, about his Mid-World novels (scary books for people who get freaked out by carnivorous plants, like I do, but they're still a good read).

One of the best times I had with author guests, though, was when a group of us went to the Calgary Zoo with Bjo Trimble and Sonni Cooper (anyone familiar with old-school ST-TOS fandom and novels should recognize those names). Bjo announced on Sunday that they wanted to go to the zoo on Monday and anyone who wanted to tag along was welcome - just meet them at the main gate at 10 am. So about half a dozen of us stayed an extra night and took them up on that. Having lunch with two of my favorite ST authors and hearing stories about some of the other authors they knew, and what it was like living so close to where the Star Trek series was shot on location was... fascinating.

In turn, I ended up explaining saskatoons to Sonni Cooper. They don't grow in the area where she was living at the time, and she'd never heard of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.