1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random religion at religion tech

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by spiceant, Nov 20, 2005.

?

Religion founding techs should have their religions randomized

Poll closed Nov 25, 2005.
  1. I agree

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. I do not agree

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. None of the above

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. spiceant

spiceant Warlord

it seems quite boring to me that hinduism buddy and judaism are always the first 3 religions, i would suggest that the 6 religions are randomized on their discovery techs.

2. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

It should be a thing that you can toggle on and off on the custom games screen.

3. garric

garric Emperor

Then each religion loses it's purpose. Now you might aswell name them "Religion 1" "Religion 2" "Religion 3". The whole point of founding religions at their tech is the fact it mirrors the real world - Judaism came before Christianity, etc.

Thread closed.

4. spiceant

spiceant Warlord

Civ IV is not about the actual history but rather how we affect a random history of earth.

5. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Actually, I think randomisation should be combined with the system there is now. What I mean by this is as follows:

When you discover a tech, you should get a random religion, but only from a pool of religions fiting this category. E.g. when you discovered Monotheism you should get a random religion from a pool of "ancient monotheisms" - so it should be either Judaism, Zoroastrianism, or Cult of Akhenaton. If, when discovering Monotheism, you get Zoroastrianism, you don't get Judaism in that game at all - i.e. it would be impossible to get it at Polytheism (which would have a pool of its own, composed of Hinduism, Cult of Olympian Gods, Egyptian Polytheism and Norse Polytheism, for example) or Theology (which would enable either Christianity, Gnosticism, Mithraism or Manicheism).

6. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Both Christianity and Judaism have been influenced by a number of earlier or contemporary religions, so presenting it as a direct evolution simply shows your ignorance. Christianity - or its equivalent - could have easily evolved without Judaism. It would be different, for sure, but the message of Christianity in its Paulist form had more in common with late hellenic philosophy than judaism anyway.

7. spiceant

spiceant Warlord

i admit that i confused judiasm with christianity untill i got civ IV

8. MRM

MRM Prince

Yes I agree with you here - make it random but stay in the category or alternativ to random, make it civ specific which religion is founded. But islam coming with polythesim and such events would be to much random in my opinion ...

9. niffweed17

niffweed17 Warlord

i have actually asked around the mod forum as to how to make a mod to alter this for this very reason: i'm sick of playing as hinduism.

nonetheless, such a mod would require some technical knowledge. i could make the religions, but i have absolutely no idea how to input code such that the religions would be selected randomly, even for a "distinct religions" option, such as buddhism or (insert other meditation related religion here) at meditation, hinduism or greek paganism or egyptian pantheon at polytheism, judaism, zoroastrianism at monotheism, etc.

as i've mentioned elsewhere, if anyone has any idea as to how i could possibly do this, please reply or notify me.

10. spiceant

spiceant Warlord

poll closing soon