Random Thoughts 0o10: Special Limited Deluxe Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
There've been scientific studies debunking the previous work done on that.

Cases where we think we're in sync are due to probability. In a group of three women, there's a good chance you're period will overlap with at least one of them often enough. There's no evidence that this happens with any kind of consistency, it's coincidental. I've been "in sync" with other women before, and I know how easy it is to think it's more than just coincidence.

There are things, like stress, which can affect your cycles. If you're with a group of women who are all undergoing the same type of stress, then yes it's very possible all of your cycles could be affected in the same way.

And those studies which tried to talk about menstruation syncing, didn't find any correlation whatsoever with ovulation, which is what your hormones are really about and what would affect sex patterns. Several women saying "I'm on my period," "Oh, me too!" doesn't mean they've formed some kind of pheromone-induced special fertility link.

Notice that four women living in a room all being in sync is not the same thing as a couple of "oh me too" moments. Repeated across hundreds of barracks rooms it isn't easy to write off as just coincidence.

But, from me it is merely a second hand observation. I won't be carrying your disagreement back to the source though, as my first wife was, and still is, a bit of a hot head, and confronting her with studies that contradict her experience is never wise.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will trust scientific studies over anecdotal experience (especially second hand :))

Something to consider as well, is that women like the idea of being in sync with other women. I have a hard time explaining it, but the idea sort of creates a bond of sisterhood. I know from my own personal experience, it's really easy to think you're in sync with another woman, when you really aren't (and strangely, you both get sort of excited by the idea) When you really want something to be true, it's easy to imagine it's true when it isn't, if I'm making sense?

Consider also, your period lasts roughly a week. There's a really good chance you're going to have at least some overlap :)

But my point too that I was trying to stress to dear hobbs originally, is that your ovulation is much more important to your sexual activity than your menstruation is.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will trust scientific studies over anecdotal experience (especially second hand :))

Something to consider as well, is that women like the idea of being in sync with other women. I have a hard time explaining it, but the idea sort of creates a bond of sisterhood. I know from my own personal experience, it's really easy to think you're in sync with another woman, when you really aren't (and strangely, you both get sort of excited by the idea) When you really want something to be true, it's easy to imagine it's true when it isn't, if I'm making sense?

Consider also, your period lasts roughly a week. There's a really good chance you're going to have at least some overlap :)

Again, I have to ask if you lived in a dorm when you were in college.

Uh oh :popcorn:

Again, I have to ask if you lived in a dorm when you were in college.
What difference would that make? I don't generally believe in refuting one example of anecdotal evidence with another :queen:

For my own, when something I've experienced personally seems like a truth, but I learn that's not really scientifically true, I learn to accept it as coincidence :queen:

What difference would that make? I don't generally believe in refuting one example of anecdotal evidence with another :queen:

For my own, when something I've experienced personally seems like a truth, but I learn that's not really scientifically true, I learn to accept it as coincidence :queen:

Call it curiosity.

Forgive Tim. He's on a Star Trek kick and is inclined to think women as the Borg. Resistance is futile, and all women who congregate shall be added to the hive mind of menstruation.

He's clearly fishing for material to write your character's rôle aboard the space-navy ship Enterprise.

edit: x-post with Syn-chan. Crate minds think alike!

Just to add some semi-facts to the discussion, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_synchrony
After the initial studies, several papers were published reporting methodological flaws in studies reporting menstrual synchrony including McClintock's study. In addition, other studies were published that failed to find synchrony. The proposed mechanisms have also received scientific criticism. A 2013 review concluded that menstrual synchrony likely does not exist.[4]

There are various sources linked. This one https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/14/3/579/632869 is freely available and seems readable.

Note that you did say there is (as there always is) science on both sides of the question. Just an anecdotal observation here, but in my experience people generally decide which science is accurate and which science has "been debunked" based on their own experience.

I have no experience as a woman, but I do have experience with women, from living in a coed dorm in college, meaning that basically my entire pool of female associates were living in dorm rooms, and from having married a woman out of the 'WAVE cave.' All of that experience suggests that syncing is likely to be a real phenomena, leading me to consider the science on one side of the question to be more likely reliable.

Well at least you can maybe understand how anti-vaxxer minds work :p

Sorry Tim, it's simply not a real phenomenon :queen:

Sorry Tim, it's simply not a real phenomenon :queen:

I will discount all personal experience and feign agreement, since you played the royalty icon.

I still suspect that women who have spent months living in tight quarters together might be less willing to discount their experiences, so won't be discussing further with my ex-wife.

I'll also suggest that like many other things, disproving associated BS that was never real may get misinterpreted. The "close proximity" of "we work together every day for eight hours, five days a week" is not the same, or even in the same realm, as a dorm experience, which is a level of magnitude below a military barracks. When people started seeing syncing in their office, on their morning train, or with the other soccer moms watching practice twice a week, it became pretty easy to discard.

What is it you feel about being in a dorm together would make you menstruate in sync with other women?

I was once being lectured by this guy how menstruation is a learned behavior, and if a man was raised from birth exclusively by women then he would develop menstruation.

:rotfl:

What is it you feel about being in a dorm together would make you menstruate in sync with other women?

At the time of my experience with women in dorms and barracks there weren't any theories about mechanics, there was just widely observed examples.

My wife *****ed about it. It was a widely shared complaint, I eventually heard from her (she was the only WAVE cave resident I had cause to discuss the topic with).

It was also observed in college by guys who dated girls who lived in the same suite, and sometimes verified through discussion with their respective partners.

It has also been observed, I'm told, by various women I've been involved with in retrospect regarding their own dorm experiences.

So all of my combined observational reports have included very close proximity maintained for long periods of time. For example before she married me my first wife lived in the same room with the same three girls for over a year. Two of those girls were attending the same school, and were together for at least 150 hours per 168 hour week. The other two were in different schools so that cuts down for them to probably 120 hours per week.

Synced cycles would have approximately a 25% chance of occurring as it's a monthly event that lasts for a full week

Without any science to back it up, it seems to me like confirmation bias in action. I find it pretty hard to believe, personally.

I feel part of believing a phenomenon is that you've got to have some kind of idea of how it works? I can't imagine just thinking it's some kind of magic? Like, what would you yhink could happen to cause it, biologically?

Synced cycles would have approximately a 25% chance of occurring as it's a monthly event that lasts for a full week

Without any science to back it up, it seems to me like confirmation bias in action. I find it pretty hard to believe, personally.

Math based on groups of two does not apply well to groups of four.

I feel part of believing a phenomenon is that you've got to have some kind of idea of how it works? I can't imagine just thinking it's some kind of magic?

I mean... *gestures to the religious beliefs of both you and Tim* Neither of you are strangers to taking things on faith.

It's kind of amusing to see a game downloading faster than it's able to write to the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom