Random Thoughts Five: Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random idiom thought:

The djerman language has this idiom: Wagenburgmentalität
lit. "mentality of the wagon fort"
It means what it sounds like: Siege mentality.

It's odd because we - supposedly - have the siegable castles and America goes with the image of the wagon fort like eggs and ham.
I suppose we can blame the Hussite wheelwrights.
Again.

I'd guess that's because the Wagenburgmentalität (never really heard of that) is something temporary and dynamic. Not like a castle, but like a Wagenburg.

My wife came home today after her day off: I bought you something!
Me: What?
She: some nice Jersey Grey Shirts!
Me: What is Grey Jersey Shirts?
She: They are better than normal grey shirts.
Me: In what way are they better?
She: They have real grey in their products....(and so on)

I take a deep breath: What am I wearing now, dear?
She: A grey T-shirt.
Me: I paid 4 dollars at K.Mart for this and I love it.
She looks at me and cross her arms: You will love this Jersey Grey Shirt better, because
I spent 40 dollars to make you happy. Then she burst into tears.

I am now the proud owner of a Jersey Grey Shirt.

The wife is always right.

You needed to skip directly to "Great! Thank you so much!" at your next line after "What?"

Yes a noob for sure ;)

Japanese food: I don't get it. Sushi is awesome. Ramen is great. Tempura's nice. Surely there's more to it, though, for all the respect and admiration it seems to get. (I have to admit, I kind of feel the same way about French food. It's nice, but what's the big deal? I'm not sure I'd even rate it in my Top 3 European cuisines.)

Japanese food: I don't get it. Sushi is awesome. Ramen is great. Tempura's nice. Surely there's more to it, though, for all the respect and admiration it seems to get. (I have to admit, I kind of feel the same way about French food. It's nice, but what's the big deal? I'm not sure I'd even rate it in my Top 3 European cuisines.)

Well, you left out Miso Soup, which is probably the most basic staple of Japanese food but not something I'd go out of my way for. I'd also point out that the Teriyaki Chicken at most "Chinese" places is really Japanese and I do like that. But, yeah, for the most part saying "noodles" in a foreign language doesn't really make them exotic, they're still noodles.

I think you answered your own question with "sushi is awesome." People who love sushi love sushi and that's "Japanese food" to them.

Lots of seafood, which I like and is exotic and expensive when you have to ship it. Lots of noodles and rice which I like. Lots of salt which I like, and lots of eggs, which I like.

The cuisine everybody I know loves, that I kinda just don't care about or like much, is Italian. <shrugs> it's food! :lol:

The cuisine everybody I know loves, that I kinda just don't care about or like much, is Italian. <shrugs> it's food! :lol:
ma che cazzo e questo
Spoiler :
what is this i dont even

I mean, it's ok. It also has noodles and rice and salt. Probably just don't like the seasoning so much. Don't love wine, usually. Could almost always go for the cheese.

Sorry for the double-post.

So every Sunday morning, the radio station plays two hours of classic rock. Except I'm wondering what their definition of "classic rock" actually is, because nowhere else have I seen the Tragically Hip, Pearl Jam, or Weezer defined as such.

pearl jam would probably be one of the first bands I would think about when u say "classic rock". aside from that probably led zeppelin, ac/dc, guns 'n roses, eric clapton, springsteen, some of the 60s stuff. it's not really a genre at all, but rather an umbrella term for bands that are liked by dads. classic rock is pretty much dadrock

My wife came home today after her day off: I bought you something!
Me: What?
She: some nice Jersey Grey Shirts!
Me: What is Grey Jersey Shirts?
She: They are better than normal grey shirts.
Me: In what way are they better?
She: They have real grey in their products....(and so on)

I take a deep breath: What am I wearing now, dear?
She: A grey T-shirt.
Me: I paid 4 dollars at K.Mart for this and I love it.
She looks at me and cross her arms: You will love this Jersey Grey Shirt better, because
I spent 40 dollars to make you happy. Then she burst into tears.

I am now the proud owner of a Jersey Grey Shirt.

The wife is always right.

so what you're telling me is that your wife brings you a new t-shirt and instead of, you know, touching the fabric to get a feel for the quality, trying it on to see if it fits better than your current one, you instantly dismiss it (with a notable amount of smugness) and somehow still manage to feel intellectually superior? kinda uncool how you portray her as feeble and emotional when her choice might have been both the rational and the economical one (you never know until you try, I will concede that often times a shirt costing 5 bucks and a shirt costing 50 bucks might come from the same factory and are only differentiated by a worthless label, paying for brands does not pay off).

I know it's hard to believe, but certain fabrics are garbage, while others let more air through, make you sweat less, hold up better, look better and feel better

You needed to skip directly to "Great! Thank you so much!" at your next line after "What?"

yikes

good to know the same people talking down Trump will use every opportunity to publicly belittle their partners

"just let the woman talk and say thank you and amen haha" really, man?

this is all kinda pityful tbh, like I know you're all good people, funny, smart, I have no idea where this ugly attitude comes from

chicken katsu is great
oyakodon is orgasmic
yaki udon.. hnnngngn
takoyaki is weird but unique
soba is super underrated
okonomiyaki is something everyone has to try imo
gyoza are godly, try them with yuzu dip if you can
yakitori is the ultimate skewer food, I like it more than sate if thats even possible

so yeah might want to try these :)

as for french cooking, there's really a few distinct styles. I like standard bistro style dishes. ultimate simplicity, purity in taste, perfection in form. like bistro style leeks, a good potato gratin, french omelette (the best omelette, let's be real) and so on. but my favorites are the dishes you'd cook at home. ain't no better stew than boeuff bourgignon, if you haven't tried cooking it yourself, please try it :) recently attempted cassoulet and it's bombastic.

No matter how many times I type it, I always seem to mess up the spelling of Massassachusetts.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with gender. If anyone, of any gender, gets you a gift, the proper response is "Thank you."

I'm not sure it has anything to do with gender. If anyone, of any gender, gets you a gift, the proper response is "Thank you."

I agree, maybe I read too much into it, but that's what I got from the tone of those posts. why is one party portrayed as cool headed and "the wife" spontaneously starts sobbing? it wasnt just those two posts though, it's a thing I've picked up elsewhere on this forum, too. it's belittling and it's probably not even with bad intention, but that's how it comes across to me.

in Tim's post I genuinely can't tell if the "great, ty so much" is genuine or sarcastic (because the gift in question wasn't wanted, enthusiastically thanking someone comes off as insincere, pacifying)

I mean, it's ok. It also has noodles and rice and salt. Probably just don't like the seasoning so much. Don't love wine, usually. Could almost always go for the cheese.
Have you ever eaten Italian food made by actual Italians, preferably in Italy? Because if you are saying this based on umpteenth-generation Italian-Americans' cooking I can forgive you.

good to know the same people talking down Trump will use every opportunity to publicly belittle their partners

this is all kinda pityful tbh, like I know you're all good people, funny, smart, I have no idea where this ugly attitude comes from

If you think "express gratitude for gift, don't muck about questioning its worthiness" is "talking down" then do us all a favor and don't give us anything.

EDITED: Unnecessarily harsh. My bad.

Last edited:
I'm confused about the Trump comment, unless he's somehow the wife in the story (and if that's the case, that's some questionable life choices).

Moderator Action: Remember that this is above all supposed to be a fun thread. Let's try not to be overly harsh with each other, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom