1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts VII: Do the Hokey Pokey

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I have almost 900 fanfictions that I've been saving for the last seven years. It didn't cost me anything. :mischief:

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Downloaded, I presume?

I have an entire large bookcase full of fanzines (custom built by my dad to hold my magazine collection, but later I decided to keep my print 'zines there after I got too many to keep them elsewhere). Most are Original Series Star Trek, but there are plenty of Highlander, Robin of Sherwood, Darkover, Xena: Warrior Princess, some Doctor Who, Star Trek: The Next Generation, some filk books (including one I and a couple of others from the local Star Trek club wrote), and some miscellaneous titles. I'm still looking for a few stray issues of Saurian Brandy Digest and a couple of other series.

I know of some websites where some of the old print material has been uploaded, but those sites don't usually include the original artwork and extras like poetry, songs, and comics (a long time ago someone used to do a comic strip that was a crossover between Star Trek and the Peanuts; imagine Charlie Brown, Linus, and Snoopy all with pointy Vulcan ears...).

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that we're wasteful and you're not.

According to Steam, I've spent a total of $769.22 USD on my library. At over 9000 hours of playtime, that means I've gotten an entertainment value of 8 cents per hour played. If you remove the idle game playtime, that's still 12 cents per hour played.

I've never spent more than 8 hours on a book. If I had your book collection at your valuation of $10,000 USD, and if I spent the maximum amount of time on each book, I'd be sitting at an entertainment value of 64 cents per hour read.

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

There aren't that many different translations of basically 10 writers ;)

5. aimeeandbeatles

Yup! I've seen fanfics completely disappear from the internet, so I always save them.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I have a game that I bought off the discount rack for five dollars that I have racked up easily a thousand hours on, not even counting time spent writing guides for it and discussing them on a forum and hours spent pondering strategy while mowing the lawn. That's twelve cents per 24 hour day...and yes, there probably were a few 24 playing sessions along the way. Top that!

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I don't know how many hours I've spent on The Count of Monte Cristo, but that's the first game I bought from Big Fish Games. It was on sale for 99 cents USD, and back then the exchange rate wasn't as horrible as it is now. I've replayed it numerous times. There are other games from that site I've played more than once, and of course I've made very good use of the Kingmaker and Park Ranger games since I've been novelizing them. Replaying them and tracking walkthroughs on YT is essential.

But last night I got distracted because Pixel Art 13, Fantasy Mosaics 37, and Christmas Wonderland 9 just came out... (Christmas Wonderland is in the same game setting as Park Ranger, with some of the same characters)

8. aimeeandbeatles

I have a bunch of games so of course I play the same ones over and over and over

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I only really play through Steam. I have 22 games, 10 of which I've never really played. My total hours logged is 8,820. 6,127 of those hours are actual play time with Path of Exile since I downloaded it in 2014. POE is FTP, but I have bought supporter packs over the years.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Random thought: you need treatment.
    It is mathematically true that it is the best pair of sunglasses I've ever seen you wear.

11. aimeeandbeatles

I actually never wear sunglasses....

12. Takhisis

Not even in summer when they say the sun comes out?

13. aimeeandbeatles

I can't get them on over my regular glasses. I just squint.

14. Takhisis

I've seen people wear glasses that were both ‘regular-’ and sun-glasses at the same time. But from what I've heard they're expensive.

15. aimeeandbeatles

They are

16. Birdjaguar

Those lenses are called transitions and they go from perfectly clear to very dark when you go outside into bright sunlight. With them I can wear my prescriptions indoors and out all year long.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. aimeeandbeatles

That sounds helpful.

18. Birdjaguar

If the sun were still out, I could take pics to show the difference. Maybe tomorrow.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. aimeeandbeatles

Here's a somewhat strange rave/rant.

Spoiler :
    Rave: Even after passing my constipation, I had some...trapped wind. Which was painful. I just started passing that as well.

Rant: I've been farting for half an hour. :cringe:

shadowplay likes this.
  20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Not continuously I trust!

cardgame likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.