1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts VII: Do the Hokey Pokey

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Natural gas leak.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

:hide:

3. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Christ, according to that link I've spent $2400 on Steam, which probably doesn't even count the other hundred or two hundred on activated keys from other websites.

edit: also sitting around 9,000 hours only counting games from 10 hours and up playtime

Synsensa likes this.
  4. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

That's a good point. I've probably spent $350 or so in bundles on top of the $769.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

So, update...again with mixed rave and rant...

I did apply self discipline and used the big box of gaming rig goodness as a drink table while clowning about on the internet last night, then as a motivator to be out early this morning reassembling the truck. So that's done. Rave, my new water pump, bypass hose, thermostat housing gasket, and radiator cap fixed all the slow leakage that has been causing me problems for the past month or so and the truck was happy on its shake down run. Rant: the increased pressure was too much for the radiator, which split like a melon shortly after I shut the engine off. So now I have a week or so before the new radiator arrives and have time to get the new computer up and going.

hobbsyoyo, The_J, Birdjaguar and 2 others like this.
  6. aimeeandbeatles

That seems like a bad idea. What if you spilled?

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I'm guessing the big carton would have protected the important stuff. I mean, it was packed with leaving it on a random porch in November in mind.

8. aimeeandbeatles

That seems like a bad idea. What if someone took away the package?

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

My neighbors would kill them before they reached the curb.

10. aimeeandbeatles

Your neighbours sound scary.

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Only if you are stealing stuff off a porch on our block...or screwing with someones car...or driving like an idiot. It's a really great block.

12. aimeeandbeatles

I'll take your word for it.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

So the monster gaming rig is up and running. So far I have ranted about Windows 10 maybe a dozen times, but I have managed to get Firefox loaded against Microsoft's will and restored access to both my main e-mail accounts, plus CFC...so, progress.

rah, hobbsyoyo, The_J and 1 other person like this.
  14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I think aimee has tamed Windows 10 into something like submission.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I think the first step will be clearing the red haze that obscures my vision.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. aimeeandbeatles

There's a thread somewhere in Computer Talk about it. I think its called An Untenable Situation or some equally horrible pun

cardgame likes this.
  17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I feel like perhaps I surrendered too easily and can only hope I won't regret it, but...

A couple years back I inherited a Windows 8 laptop, which I promptly hated, and I installed a Win7 interface emulator. The laptop itself was as much the source of the hate as Windows 8, since it was basically powerless, and the emulation sucked it pretty much dry. That was basically that, since I didn't really have any use for it even if it could have been made useful.

Sooooo...in fairly short order the new rig got open shelled. I think that it should have plenty of horsepower to carry it, but we'll have to see how it goes.

18. aimeeandbeatles

There's a number of 'classic shell' programs. I actually like the Windows 10 start menu, so I never bothered.

If you stick with 10's menu, check out TileIconifier. It enlarges the icons into actual tiles.

19. aimeeandbeatles

My mother is watching the hallmark christmas movie channel. (It seems early for that.) In one of the movies the two characters were walking through some falling snow. But in the back you could see green grass and fully-leaved trees. :lol:

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I used to make do with wearing a baseball cap to shade my eyes in the summer, but of course it does nothing for glare or unusual angles of sunlight. I decided to get photoreactive lenses this summer and whilst they can be over-sensitive (sometimes darkening slightly even when it's overcast), I wouldn't be without them now.

(I paid about £150 for my new glasses, but as it's at least a two-year investment, that's less than £6 a month overall.)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.