Random Thoughts VII: Do the Hokey Pokey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumble-bee, bump-into-mee… ♪♫

Story is progressing very slowly. At 15.500 words now. Hm :/
Should likely be at least 20K if it is to count as a decently sized minor novella.
So just write three more sentences.... ;)

Growing up is realizing Zorg was the hero of The Fifth Element.

Apparently the giant robot cost 2.5m to build. How did they even spend that much on it?
They probably paid themselves a hefty chunk of that money as labor.

Hm, my novella is nearing completion, crawling about with spasms, as it has to carry a rather heavy burden and therefore giving the impression it is about to die.
I don't have time to write something else, so I will have to present this to the other publishers. I won't be surprised if it is turned down, because I always end up presenting a bloated form of a short story when writing something larger.
I am also thinking of a title. What do you think of "Dark biography"? It is - on the surface, and tbh not just on the surface - about the biography of a wealthy businessman who went missing. The narrator (the story is written in the form of journal entries) is contracted to write a series of articles for the local periodical, as a brief biography (the businessman was a prominent son of some suburbian community).
Of course, in practice, the task becomes very difficult, since apparently there is very little info on the actual story of that person, and a surprising wealth of ominous rumors and other uncanny bits and pieces (including a photograph which seems to present a different, monstrous face to specific observers of it).

All the above is largely a metaphor for the inability of children to form a realistic view of their estranged (missing) father. Obviously this isn't spelled out in the actual story.

Hm, my novella is nearing completion, crawling about with spasms, as it has to carry a rather heavy burden and therefore giving the impression it is about to die.
I don't have time to write something else, so I will have to present this to the other publishers. I won't be surprised if it is turned down, because I always end up presenting a bloated form of a short story when writing something larger.
I am also thinking of a title. What do you think of "Dark biography"? It is - on the surface, and tbh not just on the surface - about the biography of a wealthy businessman who went missing. The narrator (the story is written in the form of journal entries) is contracted to write a series of articles for the local periodical, as a brief biography (the businessman was a prominent son of some suburbian community).
Of course, in practice, the task becomes very difficult, since apparently there is very little info on the actual story of that person, and a surprising wealth of ominous rumors and other uncanny bits and pieces (including a photograph which seems to present a different, monstrous face to specific observers of it).

All the above is largely a metaphor for the inability of children to form a realistic view of their estranged (missing) father. Obviously this isn't spelled out in the actual story.
I think Dark Biography works.
Why is that you're either able to reply to all the threads, or none of the threads? There is no middle ground.
Right? True story, I'll just put off posting altogether if I don't have time to hit all the threads in one go.

Leaving Cookie Clicker on in the background while trying to write is distracting...

I have it set to play a sound when a golden cookie comes up.

Unfortunately, I have upgrades (and the garden plants) that make them come up a lot.

Speaking of stories... I was on the phone yesterday with the guy who's fixing my computer and he assured me that my story files are still there (they vanished the last time I booted the computer at home, but obediently reappeared for him as though they'd never left). Hopefully they will come back for me, since it represents about 25,000 words I wrote this summer and fall. While I could probably re-create part of it, there's some stuff that would never come out with the same emotional impact a second time.

While we're still on the topic of stories, mine is still running away on me. I don't feel like I'm writing it so much as recording what happens. Or trying to, because I'm not even sure what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom