Random Thoughts XI: Listen to the Whispers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GenMarshall, Jan 31, 2021.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Relevant comic:
    Spoiler :

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/stotting

A virus doesn't really live, so we're not really killing it... although we're eliminating it's genes from the gene pool, so maybe the word itself still fits.

I would say anything which is hostile, but people did already apply it to wolves, bears, and other animals, where it didn't turn out to be so brilliant :think:.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

In some gnostic theologies, a lesser god (god of the material world) is animal-like. Usually has no intelligence or at least no conscience. But those deities are still clearly above the level of simple beings inside the material world, and they supposedly created the world of matter accidentally. It's also why in those theologies the world of matter is in tautology with evil.

The_J likes this.
  3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

@The_J
    Good point about viruses not really being alive. Still though, it seems like that's a "loophole", but I mean, that's assuming we completely ignore the fact that the viruses we want to eradicate have the capability of eradicating us first and are more like tiny machines than something that is a conscious life form.

Also, surely that comic should have quoted "Deer Review" and not peer review

Surely a god would be able to take on whatever appearance he/she/it wants to? So hey maybe it looks like a deer but is hyper intelligent

tjs282 and The_J like this.
  4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

The problem I have with this is that it is comedic. And if we are able to laugh at god, it becomes unworthy of discussion :)

In my mind if a god actually (for whatever reason, conscious or not) manifested in some other being or just took that likeness, it would at least have to do it for a serious reason (unless it is Zeus, then it is for sex). I personally think that a conscious god is very highly unlikely to exist. From that would follow also that humans would be literally of no concern to a god.

An issue of a different kind is that the existence of a god would have to bypass the existence of the human's consciousness, since everything is picked up and filtered by your consciousness. A god, in order to exist as what usually is meant by "god" would need to somehow be able to manifest in human consciousness without being filtered to the degree of becoming diminished to another idea in a human's head. And I find this to be impossible, so even if anything worthy of being termed a god exists, I don't see how it is picked up by a human without being negated instantly.
    But hey, maybe gods exist and humans are exactly the creature which cannot pick them up. Some rather vulgar latins thought of the phrase "Deus est Anima Brutorum" (god is the soul of the animals), since they apparently thought that animals automatically pick up stuff (I don't think they do; they just are less intelligent than humans and animalise what they pick up instead of humanizing it).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I find the idea that a god has the be super serious in order to be acceptable as a human construct that draws from human expectations moreso than from logic. For all we know a god exists out there somewhere who is super silly and a practical joker instead of somebody super serious who takes everything seriously. As such, if a god exists, I would not expect to be able to assume any sort of physical form this being might take - it could be anything from a taco to a burrito.

Back to random thoughts though. I wonder if the first person to ever wear socks was made fun of and ostracized

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

What if a god just randomly morphs into people's socks, because it likes the smell of unclean feet?

Sometimes to show why cities exist, one has to point to life in the village ;)

7. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I like the South Park version of god

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

^ Pic doesn't show :mad:

(although maybe it's for the better)

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

10. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

maybe now?

Kyriakos likes this.
  11. amadeus

amadeus 朕ハ掲示板ナリ

Deep theological questions arising from my initial thought, which was based on me crushing an ant that was getting too close to my coffee.

Coffee’s good.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

That is the question.

13. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Unnecessary brutish behaviour towards living creatures.
    You Tarzan, me Jain.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

I've just read that Jeff Luthor Bezos is taking a Dutch student on his personal space trip. This is because a passenger who paid 28 million dollars for a seat in this private sightseeing space safari for supervillainsbillionaires has a scheduling conflict.

Of course, it turns out that the kid is the son of a millionaire who got, in tennis terminology, a lucky loser berth:

Jeff Bezos Picks 18-Year-Old Dutch Student for Blue Origin Rocket Launch
    Oliver Daemen will fly to the edge of space after another passenger who paid $28 million for the seat had a scheduling conflict.

Someone paid $28 million to not go to space with Jeff Bezos next week. Instead, an 18-year-old from the Netherlands will join the flight.

His name is Oliver Daemen, and the flight would make him the youngest person ever to go to space.

Spoiler :
    Mr. Bezos, who just stepped down as chief executive of Amazon, announced last month that he would be one of the passengers when his rocket company, Blue Origin, conducts its first human spaceflight. The flight is scheduled for Tuesday, to coincide with the 52nd anniversary of the landing of Apollo 11 on the moon. It is to follow Richard Branson’s flight to the edge of space this past Sunday in a rocket plane built for the company he founded, Virgin Galactic.

When Mr. Bezos made the announcement, he said one of the other seats on New Shepard, a reusable suborbital capsule that goes up more than 62 miles before coming back down, would be auctioned to the highest bidder, with the proceeds going to Mr. Bezos’ space-focused charity, Club for the Future.

More than 7,600 people from 159 countries participated in the monthlong auction, which concluded on June 12. The winning bid was $28 million, and Blue Origin said it would reveal the bidder at a later date.
    On Thursday, just five days before the flight, Blue Origin still did not reveal the winning bidder, but said in a news release that this person decided to defer his trip to a future New Shepard launch “due to scheduling conflicts.”

Instead, Mr. Daemen, the son of the chief executive of a private equity investment firm and one of the runners-up in the auction, will take the seat.

<Picture: A mock interior of the Blue Origin Crew Capsule shown in Colorado Springs, Colo., in 2017.>

“He was a participant in the auction and had secured a seat on the second flight,” Sara Blask, a Blue Origin spokeswoman, said in an email. “We moved him up when this seat on the first flight became available.”

Mr. Daemen graduated from high school last year and is taking a year off from school before starting in the fall at Utrecht University in the Netherlands.
    “This is a dream come true!” Mr. Daemen said in a news release from the family. “I hadn’t counted on this at all until last week that surprising phone call from Blue Origin came. This is so unbelievably cool! The flight to and into space only takes 10 minutes, but I already know that these will be the most special 10 minutes of my life.”

Blue Origin’s spacecraft, New Shepard, is designed for brief space-tourist flights, similar to Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo. But, unlike Virgin Galactic’s space plane design, New Shepard is more of a traditional rocket that launches vertically. Near the top of the arc, the capsule, where up to six people sit, separates from the booster. The booster and the capsule coast to an altitude above 62 miles, regarded by many as the boundary of outer space. The capsule’s landing is slowed by a parachute.

On this first flight, there will be four people aboard: Mr. Daemen; Mr. Bezos; Mr. Bezos’ brother, Mark; and Mary Wallace Funk, a pilot who in the 1960s was among a group of women who passed the same rigorous criteria that NASA used for selecting astronauts. But that was at a time when the space agency had no interest in selecting women as astronauts.

At 18, Mr. Daemen will be the youngest person ever to go to space. At 82, Ms. Funk, who goes by Wally, will be the oldest.

According to the family’s news release, Mr. Daemen and his father, Joes Daemen, founder of Somerset Capital Partners in the Netherlands, were intrigued by the possibility of getting on the flight. “But when the bids started to skyrocket during the auction, we dropped out,” Joes Daemen said.

Blue Origin did not reveal how much the Daemens were paying for the seat; it has not yet publicly announced a price for tickets. According to the Daemens, the price is a lot lower than the $28 million winning bid. The money they paid will be donated by Blue Origin to a charity that has not yet been determined.

On Wednesday, Blue Origin announced that $19 million from the $28 million winning bid will go to 19 space-related nonprofit organizations — $1 million each. The recipients include AstraFemina, a collective of women in science and engineering who aim to serve as role models to girls; the Brook Owens Fellowship, which offers paid internships and fellowships to undergraduate women; and Higher Orbits, an experimental learning lab for high school students.

Kitty Bennett contributed research and Claire Moses contributed translation.

Never miss an eclipse, a meteor shower, a rocket launch or any other astronomical and space event that's out of this world.

My mind is boggled.

The_J and Kyriakos like this.
  15. amadeus

amadeus 朕ハ掲示板ナリ

The implications.

Thought: not to bring any discussion here but I think whatever I feel about gun control, it’s probably in large part molded by the fact that I’ve never owned one, and have only ever seen* or held one once or twice. Never fired or been around one that has.

*exceptions being on police, etc.

That said, I really don’t vote anyway so nobody needs to waste their time trying to convince me of any arguments. :)

16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This is not our final form. Even if we set aside all the crap that's prevented us from exploring the solar system and building bases and actually do that, the humans who live in space or planets with different gravity are going to be different from terrestrial humans eventually (however many generations it might take).

No, eradicating a virus is not genocide.

Leave tomatoes alone. They are delicious and one of the things I can actually eat. In fact, I have absolute sympathy for Tom Paris in the pilot of Star Trek Voyager, when he discovered that the replicators on the ship were not programmed with plain tomato soup.

As for the rest of your post... honestly, it's a lot less complicated to be atheist and not have to worry about things like that.

Watch "Wholly Moses!" (movie starring Dudley Moore; it's a spoof of "The Ten Commandments"). Or "Oh, God!" (movie starring John Denver and George Burns).

As for the first person to wear socks and being made fun of... there are a couple of stories like that in the Archie comics (a subset of stories called "Archie 1" and depicting the characters as Stone Age people, with Jughead inventing all sorts of useful things... including socks, and eventually the other kids decide they all want socks, even if they're not sure why.

In reality, the first person to wear socks was probably someone in the Ice Age, or at least a cold climate and was promptly asked "how did you do that, I want some, too!" and hopefully didn't take the KTAATTS solution to getting them.

warpus likes this.
  17. Sofista

Sofista Deity

genocide: "The systematic and widespread extermination or attempted extermination of a national, racial, religious, or ethnic group."

So, no.
    In case it is, I guess at lunch I'll be joining in a concerted effort of exterminating ducks.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I suppose I was basing my definition of genocide on themes I picked up in various sci-fi novels, such as Xenocide, one of the sequels to Ender's Game... and a story I was reading recently where there was a big debate in a futuristic society whether to attempt to exterminate a hive mind type alien civilization. The word genocide was used in that context even though this alien civilization was more like a bee/ant colony, with no real intelligence in the drones, and more like a collection of robot-like drones.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future we look back to today and elevate the extinction events we've caused in terms of legal implication.. At this point I fully agree that genocide as we know it should not apply to ducks or tomatoes.

Samson likes this.
  19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

I hate waking up.

The_J likes this.
  20. Samson

Samson Deity

I how often wondered how history is going to look at meat eating in the 21st century. If history decides genocide applies to the coronavirus (or smallpox) history can just go and take one at this point.