Randomness

Randomness has always been a big thing in Civ starts. It is in fact the reason i felt forced to play GOTMs because if i start my games myself, i always want to restart for a better start position.

The best games have either no randomness (chess) or so many little random factors that it easilly evens out over the whole game (online poker). I would think it would be good for civ to try and reduce the impact of randomness as well. It seems however that they have very much done the opposite.

In civ5, finding city states first was a nice bonus of 15 extra gold. Now it means 2 extra of anything (science, production, faith etc..) in your capital which is insanely huge. Sure it is not only random, it is a strategic choise to build a second unit before anything else or not, but even if you do so, it is random if you happen to send those units towards a CS that has no other neighbours, towards a CS that is closer to another one, or maybe you sent the unit in a direction where there is no CS.

Then come the huts. They can now spawn great works of art or whatever. I just found one that gives me 4 faith and 8 tourism. Now i havent played civ6 much yet, but this feels pretty insane too, a multitude more insane than the already insane 20 faith one could find in civ5.

And of course there is still the starting resources. In civ5 you would normally get 2 luxuries at your starting position. I have restarted quite a bit of games now, and it seems to vary between 1 and 4 unique luxuries that i have gotten.

I would advise the game makers to try and reduce randomness rather than try so hard to increase it.

Top Bottom