[BTS] Randomnius of the Mighty Randoms (Monarch)

oynaz

Prince
Hi guys.

So, I have found joy in the random_map_script included in my recent repurchase of the game (I gave my old copy to a friend). I found an offer for Civ 4 Complete, and that script, which I do not recall having seen before, is a lot of fun.

It it also quite a challenge, so I thought I would play a game with you.

I use BAT mod 4.1.

Everything apart from starting age is random.

I have added 3 extra AI Civs, and checked Aggresive AI. I find this gives a lot of wonderful mayhem.

Settings:

[ Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-04_01-19-17.png

I ended up with Catherine.

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-04_01-38-20.png

I do not think I have played a game with her before. A nearly useless UB, a so-so UU, Creative - good, Imperialistic - not so much. This will be a challenge.

Starting position looks promising, though.

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-04_01-44-38.png

Settling in place seems like a good option. With creative, the borders will pop in no time. But we should move the scout first. Where? One SW, then in whatever seems most interesting, on the hill south of the sheep, or on the sheep seems like the best options.

Please let me know your thoughts, I will try to post updates each evening (CET). I have small children though, so I might not always be able to.

Attachments

• Randomnius_4000-BC_Nov-04-2019_01-57-43.CivBeyondSwordSave
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Start looks sweet, I feel straight away at home when I see sheep and peaks. :bounce:
Will modify your savegame to a WB file and raise up the difficulty. And then play along.

My gut is to settle in place. Plains hill for extra production.
1SE could be a metal or horse resource. Grassland surrounded by forest often is.
Could also be something 2S of your settler.
Looks like your starting near the coast.

Agriculture first. Then maybe BW or AH? With imperialist the chops are worth 30H each. The 3H forest adds at least 4 hammers towards a settler.

Here comes a WB save for Immortal players, if interested. AI's have HUNT/AGRI and even their first worker and scout. No more units though. I guess they will come along.

Attachments

• Randomnius Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    387.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
So events are on and 3 more civs on a standard map, right? Looks like a map I would rather play on epic speed. I will move the scout on the sheep's hill to check out if there is coast before probably SIP.

So 9 AI on this map!!

Yes, that grassland is probably a strategic resource. And that is definitely the coast to the SE.

If there is a better place to settle nearby, it is to the east. Thus, I will move the scout to the sheep on the hill.

I will post an update tonight.

"Hey, comrade! Look at those fluffy critters! Wonder what use they are?"

"Comrade? Get your timeline straight! I am a tzarina!"

Signature slap

"Though you have a point, those critters are, indeed, fluffy. I declare them pillows!"

"Baaaah!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving east:

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-04_16-49-57.png

That blue circle makes me pause. From the visible map, settling in place seems the best choice. However, I am afraid I will waste sea resources. I cannot have a city both in place and at blue circle, no?

Opinions? Scout blue circle with settler? It is potentially two turns wasted, though.

Blue circles are meaningless. SIP

Blue circles on the coast normally means sea resources. But settling in place will make a very strong capital.

Sheepy Pillow is founded:

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-04_23-01-08.png

Near the coast indeed.

So, time to make a strategy, and of course use that to decide the first build and techs.

I normally consider Catherine one of the weakest leaders, but in this particular case, she might prove very strong indeed. There is a good chance that this map will be very crowded, so Imperialistic, Creative and lots of forests are big starting advantage.
So I suggest we REX. With 9 AIs, you can normally get 2 or 3 strong cities, but I think we can manage 4.

My suggestion for first build is worker, and first tech is bronze working.

What do you guys think?

Also, where to send the scout? I think the river to the west seems most promising?

Blue circles on the coast normally means sea resources.
Actually, that is not true. Blue circles are extremely unreliable which is why the AI settles so many crappy cities..they settle blue circles. Moving settler toward the coast to see what is going on is an extremely poor decision especially when you want your capitals inland anyway. This is a good city. No point in wasting turns chasing windmills.

Cathy is a good leader..not top tier..but very good.

First tech without question is Agriculture, but BW is probably next.

Just scout in a circle around the capital at first finding city spots.

Wet corn = best tile in the game (at least early :)), so even while IMP chops are tempting it's always worth improving first.
Mined sheep are also nice, never be afraid of getting that 1:food: 4:hammers: tile early, it's not worth researching AH alone (and waiting for a pasture).
As little bonus, when mined they actually give 1:hammers: more than pastured for IMP settlers.

Worker first?

Alternative settling on the river tile 1 NW.
Spoiler :
I have restarted because epic speed confused me too much. With some map knowledge this is a much better capitol long-term. Short-term it means losing the 2H from the PH. Also leaves more room to the south for settling the clam spot without being completely at the coast.

Agriculture and a worker it is.

I suspect there is coastline to to east, so I send the scout west. The border pop confirms my suspicion.

The scout discovers a horde of elephants. More than I have seen before, IIRC. And marble. But not a lot of food. City placement will require some thought.

Someone has founded Bhuddism.

Agriculture is in Next tech? Bronze working seems a good choice?

Worker is done in 3 turns. What should the next build be? A warrior?

Spoiler The world according to the Randoms :

Civ4BeyondSword_2019-11-05_18-16-49.jpg

You likely wanted to scout out those northern cow as that is a strong place for a second city.

No sign of any AI yet? Hmmm.

Marble/clams is possible city.
Fish too.

Land looks pretty dry thus far. Fingers crossed there is more food here.

The ivory tiles give a good source of commerce (+2 :commerce: riverside). My ideas on the techpath: no need for immediate AH as you can mine the sheep but I still would go over AH towards writing. (and not over pottery). Because AH helps growing the cities while cottages would only delay it. Masonry is also more important. Here are many 2C-tiles (ivory, marble, fish, clam) that can easily replace early cottages. I would go Agr/ BW/ AH / Writing / masonry. And from there towards oracle or towards pottery, cannot tell yet.

I think I will love the scout clockwise and scout both cows.

And yes, I am surprise I have not met anyone yet. Might the map script have thrown a curve ball like a low sea level archipelago?

Thoughts for production? I find that it is particularly hard to choose production item number 2.

Pangea maps should have contact with AI. You can guess by the x/y coordinates of your capital where the AI should be.

So 70 (X) across and 37 (Y) tiles up from bottom of map.

Top Bottom