Range Promotion Not Carrying Over?

JMLOng

Chieftain
Just upgraded a Crossbowman and a Longbowman to the Gattling Gun.

The Longbowman was a city state gift and had the range promotion as standard and the Crossbowman was highly promoted and so had the range promotion. But the promotion didn't carry over to the new unit.

It is listed as having the range promotion as well as all the others the previous unit had. But its no longer able to shoot over 3 tiles!

Is this a bug with my game or is it something to do with the Gattling Gun?

Default gatling guns only have a range of 1, your range upgrades are manifesting themselves by giving it a range of 2 instead.

The range ability doesn't carry over if the range is increased or decreased in the unit upgrade. Frigates for example that have range promotion, upgraded to battleships, won't yield a double range promotion battleship (4 hex range), although battleships can still get the range promotion. I noticed it in my second last game.

Default gatling guns only have a range of 1, your range upgrades are manifesting themselves by giving it a range of 2 instead.

This is correct. Everything post-crossbowman has a range of 1. The range promotion will give it a range of 2.

The range ability doesn't carry over if the range is increased or decreased in the unit upgrade. Frigates for example that have range promotion, upgraded to battleships, won't yield a double range promotion battleship (4 hex range), although battleships can still get the range promotion. I noticed it in my second last game.

So what you say (I don't have the game at hand so I can't check) is that Battleships do not have Range 3, but have Range 2 and a Range promotion instead? That makes getting a Range on a Frigate fairly useless, but Logistics was always the better option anyway, and extra Range without Indirect Fire isn't that big of a deal on ships.

Top Bottom