Ranger Army

NinjaOverSurge

Chieftain
Haven't done this yet - the idea just popped into my head.

Anyways, a fun thing that I want to do in civ6 is to somehow create an army of rangers with the tier 3 promotion ambush that gives +20 combat strength. This would allow the rangers to be stronger than cavalry and potentially as fast as them due to the first tier promotions. I know this is impractical, but I want to do this for fun.

The challenge is to get them to level 3. I'm thinking about training a bunch of scouts early game and somehow barb farm until they are level 3, then upgrading to rangers once rifling is finished. I will definitely need to rush terracotta army.

Well, that's all I have so far. Plz give tips to better this strategy if you have some.

Edit, need help on deciding what civ to go.

Pick Frederick for the Combat Strength bonus against city states and the extra military policy. Take the Surveillance policy (double experience for Scouts), declare war on a city state and start farming for experience. Kill all of their units and start attacking the city but don't capture it, let the city heal while your scouts heal. Repeat until you have the promotions you want.

Of course, your Scouts will still only be 17 Combat Strength until you get that promotion, so you need to be careful with them. But at least it's more efficient than fighting barbarians.

Last edited:
I happened to have tried this before a long time ago before IZ were nerfed, but it should be more or less the same. It works best with Aztecs. Warmonger all game as usual, take luxuries for the bonus attack. With even +4 or so after conquering your neighboring civ, you can guard any barb camp for a long time. You engage/damage the spearman guarding it so it has less chance to riot with a ton of horses. Once you have a ton of camps attacked (and left uncleared) you guard them with a fortified scout preferably on a hill. The warriors that come out of the camp will attack it and will lose 1v1. You get a steady stream of 1xp this way, which is a nice perk but most important reason to do this is to prevent them from pillaging your cities as per usual.

Conquer as usual with your eagles and archers into eagles and crossbows. Nothing really different. Your cities with smaller production that you're not using for real constructions, you can spam scouts. The abundance of scouts serve 3 main purposes. 1. keeping fog of war clear so you don't get barb surprises, 2. Main army combat support. When you're sieging a city, they can provide zone of control to prevent healing. Once enemies have walls, they tank shots from the walls. AI cities prioritize scouts over your real units, so you can move 1 scout in to take a shot, then back out and heal while another one moves into range to tank a shot. Meanwhile your ranged units take potshots with no return fire. 3. civil service amenity garrisoning when it comes along, and a distant 4th, walling off enemy religious units from waltzing through. It's no different from a regular domination game though, since the real lifting is still done by eagles, ranged, and catapults. The moment you upgrade rifling you don't even need to be level 3 to be a threat. Rangers with luxury attack bonus can hold their own pretty easily, especially if you corps them up. They'll all level up easily once you start using them to fight civs instead of barbs. Or others have said, you can leave one of the more useless city states unconquered and farm it for xp, although its not necessary. Id rather have the city for culture/science snowballing.

I'd say level 2 is more powerful than level 3 honestly. The AI prioritizes recon units pretty hard, so they walk up to you. You can easily kite any melee units indefinitely if there are enough hills. It plays out kinda like a budget version of a Russia game doing a Cossack timing window, less powerful in all ways. But I do understand why you would want to do it since I did the same thing before. It's kinda like when you played starcraft 1 against one of your noobier friends and you decide you won't do standard macro map control, you go for a scout corsair rush or something because he's just that bad at the game and it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

The only major difference from a regular domination game is the abundance of cheap scouts being spammed and scattered all over the place in the midgame, and the 4 perks listed above. They cost little to build and have no upkeep. And obviously, you don't ever actually build any rangers using production; you upgrade the scouts scattered all over the place. Each one you upgrade at discount is actually a huge profit for you in terms of production to gold ratio. Still not that efficient overall with this profit, but you don't care about that. You wanna go mass rangers. I feel you

The game settings I used for my mass rangers game was on marathon, deity, pangaea, huge, and it did turn out to be fun, but not any harder than a regular domination game. Like I said, the hard work is really done before rifling by your usual army composition. Rifling is really late in the tree. Oh and I also slid some other bars I don't usually bother with. That game was terrain age: new, resources: abundant, wet, and starting condition I left standard.

GLHF ^.^ manner game plz

Last edited:
What I've found that works for me is building 3 to 4 scouts but using the Survey Policy right away. I'll take my scout and attack barbarians (with the help of warriors & slingers) to level up quickly. One attack is +8 exp. so you can get the to level 2 very quickly. I then explore with the scout as wonders & goodie huts give more experience using the Survey Policy. After a while I'll garrison my scout but I've almost always gotten the Terrecotta Army to get that level 4 or 5 promotion.

Well, that's all I have so far. Plz give tips to better this strategy if you have some.
There was another post a couple of month back on this and have played it bnefore ... to my dismay
They are just too weak even with the +20 as they have no other promotions to back it up. Worse they are targeted by the enemy as if they were scouts, the enemy will conetrate and kill them. They are just still too squishy unless you get them online very early. Even then they are a dead end that does not promote.
I played it twice just to make sure... I thought there was going to be fun and lots of troll attacks but it was just meh followed by death.
Its a lot of effort and I now give my scouts both bottom line movement promotions so they are super fast... I enjoy them more in this state.

Tips? well its not easy to get one to lvl3 let alone 6. Forbidden palace is a must really.
I guess biggest tip is build more than you need as some will die. Use military tradition flanking and support bonuses to help them survive. Use them as clean up or to come in once walls are down to get experience off cities.. or use a CS to get experience with them... barbs are only useful for one level as lily lancer said
Once randers another big tip is use them in support, not as a main force

With the MOAR mod, they upgrade to snipers. I had two snipers with level 5 experience. It was a lot of fun.

Top Bottom