Rank the Eras by Music!

MilesBeyond

Prince
Pretty self-explanatory. The music in this game is fantastic, and the job they did in selecting the soundtracks was exemplary, but which are your favourites? Here's mine:

1. Industrial. Simply some of the best music ever written. Dvorak's New World Symphony in particular captures the feeling of the era perfectly, as does Brahm's 3rd Symphony. Masterful stuff, and fits the gameplay wonderfully, even if not all of it matches up chronologically

2. Renaissance. As above, amazing music that might not quite be from the Renaissance but we'll give it to them anyway. I love the Mozart pieces, but Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are what really capture the mood for me.

3. Modern. I was disappointed that they didn't have more variety, here. It would've been nice to have more than one composer. I was also at first put off a bit by modern classical music in the place of, say, fusion or rock, but it's grown on me and I think it does a good job. The Chairman Dances is an absolutely fantastic piece that I now look forward to hearing all game. I'm actually a little disappointed if I win the game before the Modern era :lol:

4. Medieval. More Renaissance music than Medieval, but the Renaissance period has never really been my cup of tea as far as music goes. It's a bit boring and underdeveloped. A couple of good pieces here and there but not my favourite era.

5. Ancient. They did the best with what they had, and the results are surprisingly pretty good. Prehistoric music is a tricky concept to nail, but catchy melodies, active rhythms and "fun" inflections (like those laughing cavemen) make it enjoyable to listen to. It's just a shame that there's so little of it.

6. Classical. Ugh. Rehashed Civ III diplomacy themes. No thanks.

@ you not enjoying the best of Civ III. Closely following it in perfection are the Ancient/Medieval which are equally great. Renaissance is decent, Industrial is okay, Modern makes me happy to wrap up the game as fast as possible.

1: Industrial. The music is great, and completely fits.
2: Classical. Although it doesn't fit too much, the music is pretty good.
3: Renaissance. The music is from after the IRL Renaissance, but fits the later part of this era.
4: Modern. Some of the tunes are catchy, but it gets repetitive after a while.
5: Medieval. The music is actually from the Renaissance, and is far too eurocentric in a time when the most powerful nations were almost never European.
???: Ancient. I really don't know where this goes, since although it's not too musicy, it's quite enjoyable, and can even be an earworm.

1) Medieval - I just really love this music
2) Classical - there's some fantastic pieces played in this era although I would not consider them of that time at all
3) Ren
4) Industrial - some of it is okay, although not my general cup o' tea
5) Ancient - kinda a jumble of noises really, although not unpleasant
100) Modern - complete repetitive cacaphony...I abhor it and turn the sound off. Rarely play to this era anyway unless going for space.

I presonally prefer Medieval & Industrial: I like Dvorak's pieces and medieval chanting. 'Nuff said :lol: Although the calm sound does run contradictory to my Cuirassiers and slave-drivers running amok :mischief:

As for the rest, well, I don't really care that much. In fact, I usually turn off my speakers :lol:

[Shameless Self-Promoting]

I've found that most people hate the Modern era soundtrack, so I made a custom soundtrack mod that replaced almost all of it, along with replacements in other eras.

[/Shameless Self-Promoting]

I'm going with 'lacking'; some effective pieces set up each era but fall flat when they loop endlessly.

A few notables:
The Ancient music is very well suited to those first few turns, and helps bring me into the Civ mood.

Medieval era I can't stand, long drawn out vocals that repeat ad nauseum.

"The People Are The Heroes Now". :cool:

I'm going with 'lacking'; some effective pieces set up each era but fall flat when they loop endlessly.
Agreed. The looping drives me crazy.

I switched to using Winamp a couple of years ago. I mute the game music and set the volume correctly and I get to play to Metallica, Queensryche, Sabbath, Queen, Smashing Pumpkins, The Foo Fighters, yadda, yadda, yadda...

You know, all the good stuff. :D

1) Medieval - I just really love this music
2) Classical - there's some fantastic pieces played in this era although I would not consider them of that time at all
3) Ren
4) Industrial - some of it is okay, although not my general cup o' tea
5) Ancient - kinda a jumble of noises really, although not unpleasant
100) Modern - complete repetitive cacaphony...I abhor it and turn the sound off. Rarely play to this era anyway unless going for space.

My opinions exactly, but Industrial in front of Medieval: I changed a couple of XML files in the customassests folders so that it plays stuff from the Civil War instead, like Dixie's Land, Gather 'Round the Flag (Battle Cry Of Freedom), and the Battle Hymn Of the Republic :D

I turned the music off years ago, shortly after purchasing the game. I play whatever music appeals to me at the time on my music system instead.

1. Renaissance
2. Classical
3. Ancient
4. Industrial
5. Modern

I used to hate the ancient/classical music, for the long silence/repitition, but as I grew fond of those eras and performing most of agressive acts then I found it quite suitable.

I turned the music off years ago, shortly after purchasing the game. I play whatever music appeals to me at the time on my music system instead.

With our room setup, my wife sits quite near and watches TV. If she can hear the music, I catch an earful. And since she is so tolerant of my civ habit, it's in my best interest not to antagonize the situation.

With our room setup, my wife sits quite near and watches TV. If she can hear the music, I catch an earful. And since she is so tolerant of my civ habit, it's in my best interest not to antagonize the situation.
Headphones, Rah. Headphones. ;)

I also don't want to listen anymore. I was sick of it a few week in, Years in hasn't made it any fresher.
And if I listen to what my wife is, I can more easily pretend to care.

And if I listen to what my wife is, I can more easily pretend to care.
If I listen to what my wife does, I need to take Gravol to keep from throwing up. :lol:

Fortunately at my age, with the inevitable decrease in hearing, the mastery of selective hearing is quite effective.

Cute :lol:

But I sure as hell didn't stay married over 25 years by listening to everything she says.

Top Bottom