Rank the Eras by Music!

Cute :lol:

But I sure as hell didn't stay married over 25 years by listening to everything she says.
Imagine how it is for us. Since we're both women, neither of us is ever wrong.

Oh God! We're doomed!! :lol:

Congratulations on the longevity, btw.

I like ancient, because that's also the part of the game I prefer playing the most. Best is Renaissance. Industrial is alright, and medieval always makes me want to get out of it. Modern is bad; it always makes me want to end the game faster.

1. Renaissance
2. Modern
3. Industrial
4. Classical
5. Ancient
6. Medieval

Also,

The Chairman Dances is an absolutely fantastic piece that I now look forward to hearing all game. I'm actually a little disappointed if I win the game before the Modern era :lol:

^^ This!

Imagine how it is for us. Since we're both women, neither of us is ever wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. Medieval
2. Renaissance
3. Industrial
4. Ancient
5. Classical
6. Modern

There is something about those chants that I find relaxing and a joy to listen to.

Are we counting the Diplomatic/Country themes? Because for me, the Late Era French (Napoleon), English (Liz) and Russian (Catherine) themes are some of the best Music in the game. Ghandi, Isabella, Joao and Genghis are pretty good too late game. The Early themes of Sumeria and Babylon are the best and the Midgame theme for Washington is far and away the best of that era. Portugal, Spain, Sumeria, India (Ghandi) and Genghis have the best overall progression from era to era, in terms of music.

Some of those theme I could (and sometimes do) just listen to sitting at my desk :blush: while I work. Ghandi and Joao's music are so relaxing.:)

Congrats on 25 years BTW, I agree about the listening/selective hearing being essential to marital harmony.;)

Are we counting the Diplomatic/Country themes? Because for me, the Late Era French (Napoleon), English (Liz) and Russian (Catherine) themes are some of the best Music in the game. Ghandi, Isabella, Joao and Genghis are pretty good too late game. The Early themes of Sumeria and Babylon are the best and the Midgame theme for Washington is far and away the best of that era. Portugal, Spain, Sumeria, India (Ghandi) and Genghis have the best overall progression from era to era, in terms of music.
Agreed. If we're counting that music, I would also throw in Boudica's music, but Ghengis's diplo music wins for me, hands down.

As far as diplo music goes, Bismarck's is my favourite. Was never really as into Beethoven's earlier symphonies until I heard that theme. And as others have said, late period Marseillaise (Nappy and DeGualle) is fantastic.

A number, like Freddy and Mao, are fun for nostalgia's sake because they've got the same themes as they had back in Civ 1. Monty wins double nostalgia factor because not only is his theme the same as in Civ 1, it actually became the theme song for Civ 2.

I can't stand Pacal, though.

1. Renaissance
2. Classical.
3. Industrial.
4.Modern.
5. Medieval.
6. Ancient
This cool for me. :goodjob:

I like the chants in Medieval, but I don't listen to the music anymore. I just have my own Gregorian chant on while I play. Nothing puts me in the mood for Civ like a good funeral dirge.

1. Industrial. Simply some of the best music ever written. Dvorak's New World Symphony in particular captures the feeling of the era perfectly, as does Brahm's 3rd Symphony. Masterful stuff, and fits the gameplay wonderfully, even if not all of it matches up chronologically.

I want to agree. I really do. But in a UK context, a well-known bread advertising campaign means that Dvořák is always going to be known as "the Hovis theme" and get everyone giggling and talking in Northern accents:

Link to video.

Also, due to crossed memory wires, them Northern accents will probably be saying that Hovis is t'bread wi' nowt tek'n out:

Link to video.

Eh bah gum, proper bo I tell thee, Nora Batty, etc.

I really like the Modern Era Song "The People Are the Heros" its one of my favorite songs in the game besides the Diplomatic Themes I mentioned.

Is it just me, or does the transition from Early Nappy/DeGaulle to Late Nappy theme remind you of the scene in the 80's movie "Amadeus" where Motzart makes mincemeat of Salieri's march?

Link to video.

Ancient: Nice music for the period
Classical: hey, if you like Civ III music, it's da bomb
Medieval: Definitely makes me feel I'm dealing with plague, limb-severing wars, and lamenting the fall of rome ....perfect
Renaissance: Perfectly fitting if your civ is western european
Industrial: Still good, but at least get one or two Benny Goodman Big band swing hits in .mp3 and hack them in.
Modern: ...now fantastic since I took my favorite rock n roll .mp3s, changed all their titles to match letter for letter with the piece titles in the folder and overwrote the existing ones....

For those who enjoy the industial/Dvorak pieces: pandora's Dvorak station is pretty good but obviously lacks the era change. Phillip Glass' station is good too.

Top Bottom