Rank the traits 1-11

Gwynnja

Deity
The recent trait polls are still up, vote for the worst and second worst and they've made me curious how other players rank them. I'm a mid-tier player; I pwn prince and get pwnd on emperor; certainly not amongst the elite the forums have to offer, but... decent. Here's how I rank them:

1. Cre
2. Cha
3. Fin
4. Spi
5. Phi
6. Org
7. Exp
8. Ind
9. Imp
10. Agg
11. Pro

1. FIN
1. ORG
1. PHI
4. EXP
4. SPI
4. CRE
4. IMP
4. CHA
9. IND
9. AGG
11. PRO

The ones with same numbers can be swapped whimsically for me. They're so close it's hard for me to discern and probably winds up map dependent.

Also, they're all somewhat close, other than PRO.

1. Caffeinated
2. Obsessive compulsive...or is it compulsive obsessive...no I had it right the first time...or did I? Now I shall spend 50+ hours researching it.
3. Regenerated
4. Intimidated, oops that would be Protective
5. Annoyed, and why can i only have one worst enemy?
6. Frustrated
7. Compulsive obsessive...I know I mentioned it, but I just have to get it right. Let me check some more.
8. Phantasmagical. Not sure what it means but it sounds so cool
9. Redundant
10. See Above
Not sure what number comes after 10 since I ran out of fingers. But the last trait is Indiphiloaggrecreafinorgimspanprocharispirulish.

The recent trait polls are still up, vote for the worst and second worst and they've made me curious how other players rank them. I'm a mid-tier player; I pwn prince and get pwnd on emperor; certainly not amongst the elite the forums have to offer, but... decent. Here's how I rank them:

1. Cre
2. Cha
3. Fin
4. Spi
5. Phi
6. Org
7. Exp
8. Ind
9. Imp
10. Agg
11. Pro
So much depends on level. I was surprised at your #1 choice since you say you are mid-level. Creative basically blows below deity.

He's like me: a creative lover :p

However, I think it would be nice if the OP said he wants the traits in order we believe them powerful, or how we like them, or else more specific things. What's the criteria to rank ?

I guess I didn't think it through more than "what's better;" or "what I think is best..."

1. CHA
2. PHI
3. FIN
4. SPI
5. ORG
6. EXP
7. CRE
8. IMP
9. IND
10. AGG
11. PRO

My best games (and the most fun ones) have been as Brennus, Hannibal, and Lenin (Wolfshanze mod, CHA/PHI). CHA and either SPI, FIN, or PHI, that's where it's at. So much flexibility, leverage early as well as late, amenable to a variety of victory conditions (I would have ranked PHI lower, but popping out great people more quickly means a better shot at getting the engineers for key wonders and especially Mining Inc., which is even more powerful than FIN in the late game).

They are hard to classify by themselves. I think each are determined by how they are paired with each other in conjunction with the UU and UB.

1. FIN
2. ORG
3. PHIL
4. IND
5. SPI
5. EXP
5. CRE
8. AGG
9. CHA
10. IMP
11. PRO

When you put them together for Single player:

Best:

1. Incan, HC
1. Rome (August 1st, Julius 2nd)
2. Ramses
2. Mehemmed
2. Ghandi
2. Fredreck
2. Roosevelt

Worst:

1. Chinese
2. Ghengis Khan
2. ChurchHill
2. Catherine
2. Montezuma
2. Brennus
2. Saladin

I have trouble rating traits individually like this, for the simple fact that they never occur in isolation. You've always got two of them, and the interaction and synergies between the two can often make a trait far better than it seems on it's own, plus there's UUs and UBs to count too. For example, in isolation, I wouldn't rate EXP that highly, but combine it with ORG and the Hammam, and Mehmed becomes, IMO, the best all round leader in the game.

ORG-SPI-FIN-CHA-PHI-IND-CRE-IMP-AGR-EXP-PRO
however, after the fifth position i would better consider them all roughly equal.
actully, i only rate the 5 first ones higher than others, so
ORG~SPI~FIN~CHA~PHI>IND~CRE~IMP~AGR~EXP~PRO
that would be more precise...

It depends. ;)

Anyway, for my answer, based on Emperor and some Immortal level games:

Emperor:
1. PHI, FIN - they both have direct economic bonuses which can be exploited to get ahead of everyone. Everything is easier with a tech lead. :)
2. SPI, ORG, IND, CHA - If maximized in use SPI can be awesome, giving you an impressive number of boosts with at most 4 turns of delay (if you really didn't plan things ahead). ORG is a hidden economic trait, but less important at Emperor than PHI and FIN.
3. AGG, CRE, EXP
4. IMP
5. PRO

Immortal:
1. PHI, FIN, ORG - ORG gains in importance as costs increase and you want your courthouses earlier to leave your commerce to be transformed into much needed beakers.
2. CRE, SPI, IND, CHA - CRE gets better as you'll need to block faster settling AIs. IND is more important here for the cheap forges than for the wonders, at least for me.
3. AGG, EXP
4. IMP
5. PRO

Hi

I would rank them:

1. Cha
2. Exp
3. Org
4. Ind
5. Cre
6. Agg
7. Pro
8. Spi
9. Phi
10. Imp
11. Fin

They ranked just for me based on how I play and how much I get out of them. Most of my top ranked not only have very useful traits I think but some like org, cre, and exp also get higher ranks cuz of their cheaper buildings. I HATE growing cottages and as long as I get a GM for sushi and GE for mining at some point Im happy camper so fin and phil dont help my games all THAT much. In fact I tend to get more out of protective than either of those. Im not saying that they are WEAK traits just that they too much bother to get the most out of em for my taste.

Kaytie

Excellent thread... this way of rating things seems more useful than simply voting for what we're perceiving to be the best.
If we're adding it up for aggregates at some point, may I suggest we use the average in the case of joined ranks? So 2 traits at joined 3rd rank would be counted as 3.5 instead of 3.

Here's my list...

1. ORG
2. IND
3. FIN
4. PHI
5. IMP
6. EXP
7. SPI
8. CHA
9. CRE
10. PRO
11. AGG

The one I struggle to rate is SPI... I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out ot be the strongest trait with 100% accurate play and an ungodly amount of micromanagement. That's both beyond my skill and my patience though; my attempts to leverage it to the fullest turned out to be a lot less successful than expected.

Interestingly, I find the traits very hard to rate on Deity... they seem to be at their most balanced there which feels strange given how ridiculous that level is.

Creative basically blows below deity.

:eek: Why deity specifically? Sure AI always build more and more culture going up in levels, but the flexibility it gives in term of city placement is there at each level, and deity or not, if the AI steals your second ring corn (for instance) to put it in the first ring of one of its city, you are screwed (at least this resource :p) due to the free culture thingy (+20 in the inner rings after each border pop), for a very long time. Creative can help you in these situations (which are not unusual). This is without talking of the fact you can start your granary right away...
Could you be more precise (a great player like you must have his reasons)? ;)

My list would be the one of TMIT, perhaps putting charismatic with the first ones...

Cheers

They are hard to classify by themselves. I think each are determined by how they are paired with each other in conjunction with the UU and UB.

1. FIN
2. ORG
3. PHIL
4. IND
5. SPI
5. EXP
5. CRE
8. AGG
9. CHA
10. IMP
11. PRO

When you put them together for Single player:

Best:

1. Incan, HC
1. Rome (August 1st, Julius 2nd)
2. Ramses
2. Mehemmed
2. Ghandi
2. Fredreck
2. Roosevelt

Worst:

1. Chinese
2. Ghengis Khan
2. ChurchHill
2. Catherine
2. Montezuma
2. Brennus
2. Saladin
I think aggressive and spiritual are both solid traits. That plus the fact that Monty has a solid UU and UB amazes me that he ends up as 'worst'.

I somewhat agree with TMIT, except my list would look like this.

1. FIN
2. SPI
3. ORG
4. PHI
4. EXP
4. CRE
4. IMP
4. CHA
9. IND
9. AGG
11. PRO

1 - financial
2 - organized
3 - charismatic
4 - spiritual
5 - creative
6 - expansive
7 - philosophical
8 - industrious
9 - aggressive
10 - imperialistic
11- protective

Philo is low because I fail at GP management, but it should be higher than 7. It's my fault, not the trait itself.
Cha and Spi are both very good, I'd say it's a tie at #3.
Cre and exp tied at #5.

So the list becomes:

1 - fin
1 - org
3 - cha
3 - spi
5 - cre
5 - cre
6 - exp
7 - phi
8 - ind
9 - agg
11 - imp
11 - pro

edit: I play at Monarch

I'm a monarch level player who's starting to give some emperor games a shot.

Given that my highest scores overall have come with JC, Asoka and Napoleon, it's pretty clear I have to rate org highly. I would say something like this:

1. ORG
2. SPI
3. FIN
4. CHA
5. PHI
6. IND
7. CRE
8. AGG
9. EXP
10. IMP
11. PRO

Like Ai shizuka, I've never been that great at maximizing PHI, so I need to try a game or two where I do - that's why I have that trait pretty low. I so rarely play FIN leaders it seems, so I don't have that #1 overall. I seem to make the most out of the SPI trait, which is why I put it so high. I think overall 4-9 are very close for me, and also very much map dependent. Give me IND with decent production and stone/marble somewhere settleable and I'll have a wonder economy that is fantastic. CRE when boxed in is extremely useful as another example.

I'm a monarch level player who's starting to give some emperor games a shot.

Given that my highest scores overall have come with JC, Asoka and Napoleon, it's pretty clear I have to rate org highly. I would say something like this:

1. ORG
2. SPI
3. FIN
4. CHA
5. PHI
6. IND
7. CRE
8. AGG
9. EXP
10. IMP
11. PRO

Like Ai shizuka, I've never been that great at maximizing PHI, so I need to try a game or two where I do - that's why I have that trait pretty low. I so rarely play FIN leaders it seems, so I don't have that #1 overall. I seem to make the most out of the SPI trait, which is why I put it so high. I think overall 4-9 are very close for me, and also very much map dependent. Give me IND with decent production and stone/marble somewhere settleable and I'll have a wonder economy that is fantastic. CRE when boxed in is extremely useful as another example.

heh, it looks like i've definitely found a "brother in traits" :lol:

1. Org
2. Spi
3. Fin
4. Cha
5. Ind
6. Cre
7. Phi
8. Exp
9. Imp
10. Agg
11. Pro

Funny nanomage - I didn't even notice how close our lists were - looks like we differed in 1-2 spots down near the bottom, but same at the top.

Although I did have a good game with Charlemagne and my two bottom traits - guess the UB and UU are both pretty solid.

Top Bottom