Rank UHV difficulties

tony92def

Chieftain
How would you guys rank the difficulties of the UHV's in a scale of 5, 5 being the hardest?
as of v1.9

This would greatly depend on individual play style. Also keep in mind there are many civs who hardly ever get played, such as Ethiopia & Mali. For me (I mostly play on Epic/Emperor), and the civs I enjoy playing the most (I like tech, trade, wonders, and historical gameplay):

1: Portugal, India

2: England, Netherlands, Russia (3000 BC), Persia, Turkey

3: China (3000 BC), Russia (600 AD), America (good start), Vikings, Greece, Tamils

4: America (bad start), Moors, Arabs, Rome, Japan

5: Prussia, Aztecs

Carthage/Phoenicia is currently being modified so I did not include it (even though it's one of my favorites). But it would be between 1 and 3, I think. Also, I don't really play China on 600 AD, but it is very difficult, probably a 5.

Rome is really more of a three. The most challenging part of Rome nowadays is the tech goal, which isn't much of a problem in most cases. The most challenge I have is with is getting a settler to Britain, which is sometimes swarmed with Celtic Galleys.

1. Mayan, Turkish, Greek, Babylonian, English, Egyptian, Japanese, Viking
2. French, Russian, Indian, Roman, Holy Roman
3. Chinese, Mongolian, Byzantine
4. Carthaginian/Phoenician, Tamils, Prussian, Incan, Arabian
5. Persian, American, Dutch

I only included nations I have played. I might have forgot some.

Not really contributing since i don't play all that much, but i am currently on a emperor ethiopia at about ~750 AD and i'm having a hard time.

Founding catholicism on time requires a prophet to bulb it, and that means conquering niwt-rst for the wonders (luck based mission, i got sphinx and some other wonder for a +4 gp points/turn), whipping a stele and putting a priest there. Founded catholicism on 50AD. Then it's immediatly to calendar to get the 3 incense.

Of course the romans, arabs and natives don't make it easy. I had heliopolis' copper for only about 10 turns between the roman collapse and the arab spawn, and whatever axemen/spearmen i managed to get then are now long gone. I'm now relying on mercenary axes to counter the impis and elephants, they make do against legions, but get trounced by camel archers. My only hope is getting to gunpowder for askari (paper-education-gunpowder is the shortest way, even though i am missing guilds and coffee), but that's still so far away :/

I only play on Monarch/Normal. The game is plenty hard enough for me already. Going from SVN patch, latest one, whatever it is.

"THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT?" TIER
Tibet

IMPOSSIBLE TIER
Chinese
Greece
Persians
Ethiopian
Vikings [discover astronomy before 1100 AD..???]
Mali [Impossible generation of gold. Dont even bother]
Byzantines [1st UHV. 5K gold required. Each GM generates 700 gold. Had 2.5k gold by 1000. 1400 came from GMs]

INFERNO TIER
Indians
Japan [Culture requirement of 18k + artist nerf = yeah.]
Spain
Tamil [3000 gold UHV #1, and no currency, or even Math!]

HELL TIER
Koreans
Khmer
Arab [Have fun conquering a Spain with 5 cities built!]

SOMEWHAT CHALLENGING TIER
Turks [Having Istanbul, Mecca, Jerusalem = fun with ca$h]

100% LUCK TIER
Babylonians

PIECE OF CAKE TIER
Romans
Mayans
England

MIGHT BE HARDER NOW, BUT HAVE NOT TRIED AGAIN TIER
Egyptians
France [with the Artist nerfs]

HAVE NOT TRIED TIER
Phoenician
Indonesians
Moor
Germany
Russia
Poland
Portugal
Inca
Italian
Mongol
Aztec
Mughal
Thai
Congolese
Dutch
Prussia
American

I only play on Monarch/Normal. The game is plenty hard enough for me already. Going from SVN patch, latest one, whatever it is.

IMPOSSIBLE TIER
Chinese
Greece
Persians
Ethiopian
Vikings [discover astronomy before 1100 AD..???]
Mali

China is easy, go ask some Chinese players like me :)

Greece has to rush Egypt and Babylon, Oracle metal casting, research math / aesthetics, build phalanx and catapults, then it won't be too hard.

Haven't tried Persians with new barbs around yet.

Ethiopian: get a stele and partly bulb theology.

Vikings: settle Scotland(better on that cow), have culture grow to 10, then settle Iceland, then your galley can cross ocean and put your settler on Vinland, I did that in 1080.

Mali: 1 great merchant first, then it won't be too hard with a little expansion (you may settle Durban after first goal).

Civs I've played so far:

1: Egypt, Korea, Maya, England, Portugal, Ottomans
2: Rome (before the new goals, haven't tried the new ones yet), Italy (depends on the start), Arabs (this one could of been luck, as the Mongols didn't declare war on me)
3: Phoenicia, Prussia, Moors
4: Russia, America, Persians
5: Spain, Byzantines, China, Japan, Indonesia, Tamils, Babylon

I hate the 'get X gold by Y' UHVs SO MUCH. There are so very few ways to get gold in the game. the AI rarely has enough gold to make it worth your while, pillaging yields jack, conquering can be OK [sometimes you luck out and get 400 or so], and yes, the great merchants are good, but only 1 or two building types spawn them???

Top Bottom