Rank your favorite BNW Civs 1-9!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by B.A.Start, Jul 11, 2013.

1. B.A.Start

B.A.Start Chieftain

I've been on these forums for years now. Finally decided to create an account. :)

So tell who is your favorite new civs.

1. Poland
    2. Zulu
    3. Shoshone
    4. Assyria
    5. Portugal
    6. Morocco
    7. Venice
    8. Brazil
    9. Indonesia

2. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Welcome!! :wavey:

1. Indonesia
    2. Shoshone
    3. Morocco
    4. Brazil
    5. Portugal
    6. Poland
    7. Venice
    8. Assyria
    9. Zulu

Contrary to my list, I actually enjoy war. It's just with the new changes to the game I really love the diversity in different ways to play the game: Water maps (huge fan of these), culture game, diplomatic game are three ways that are more appealing than ever before

But I have only played 1 and 1/2 games in BNW, so this list is honestly just my initial guts. There is no way of knowing what are actually my favorites

3. djm_jm

djm_jm Warlord

I still not play, but, i think that Portugal have good traits.

My first game will with Poland civilization.

4. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

@B.A. Start - welcome to Civfanatics :)!!

I've so far played mainly as the Shoshone, Assyria, Brazil and the modified France. Loved 'em all for different reasons. Assyria really packs a punch with the siege towers and the Shoshone's land grab and choice from goody huts really suits my playing style. However, I've liked Brazil and France the most so far - theming those artefacts, paintings, writings and music is fun ;).

5. Notadolfhitler

Notadolfhitler Chieftain

1. Portugal
    2. Shoshone
    3. Venice
    4. Brazil
    5. Poland
    6. Morocco
    7. Assyria
    8. Indonesia
    9. Zulu

6. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

1. Indonesia
    2. Shoshone
    3. Venice
    4. Morocco
    5. Portugal
    6. Assyria
    7. Poland
    8. Brazil
    9. Zulu

Love the trading mechanisms, but the Shoshone just, don't know, enjoy them so much. Focusing on exploration is big, one of the reasons Spain is still my all-time favorite.

7. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Wait....I'm probably overlooking something here but it kind of sounds like you don't enjoy Shoshone but have them 2nd favorite

8. liltrogdor

liltrogdor Chieftain

1.Shoshone
    2.Brazil
    3.Zulu
    4.Morocco
    5.Assyria
    6.Portugal
    7.IDK which one I'm forgetting:confused:
    8.Venice
    9.Indonesia

9. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Bit early for that, isn't it?

Seems like your top three are more or less the strongest new sides depending on map conditions, with Poland the most flexible. Haven't played the new Cultural game enough to get a feel for whether or not Brazil is strong for that approach.

10. Botswana

Botswana Chieftain

1. Venice
    2. Morocco
    3. Portugal
    4. Assyria
    5. Indonesia
    6. Brazil
    7. Poland
    8. Zulus

Venice is so much fun to play, because I enjoy economic games. It's always cool to be this little guy that nobody pays attention to, but through your wealth, you eventually begin to dominate the globe.

11. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Oh never mine, just got it. You love trade civs but Shoshone is a positive exception

12. MeowthLover

MeowthLover Chieftain

0. New France? :)
    1. Portugal
    2. Venice
    3. Brazil
    4. Indonesia
    5. Morocco
    6. Assyria
    7. Poland
    8. Shoshone
    9. Zulus

13. Distinct

Distinct Chieftain

1. Shoeshine
    2. Morocco
    3. Assyria
    4. Portugal
    5. Poland
    6. Venice
    7. Zulus
    8. Brazil
    9. Indonesia

14. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Bingo. The trade civs are my favorite, but the Shoshone are so much fun to get out there and really explore the map and maximize those Pathfinders. The whole civ just plays nicely, Comanches are also good because you can build a lot and they can easily patrol your huge territories.

15. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Did I really just say "never mine" ?

16. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I've only played the new France so far. I'm about halfway through the game and I'm very much enjoying it. It's certainly more fun than old France!

Honestly, it's too early to rank the new ones based on play, but I guess I can rank them based on flavor.

1. Morocco (desert, trading, kasbah)
    2. Indonesia (leader, kris, unique play style)
    3. Assyria (the colors!, the library)
    4. Shoshone (pathfinder)
    5. Portugal (trading, colors)
    6. Brazil (leader, cultural play style)
    7. Zulu (Shaka!)
    8. Venice (very unique style, trading, but the MoV is broken)
    9. Poland (great leader, but fairly boring play style)

17. Tyrvos

Tyrvos Cu Chulainn

I've only played one the whole game, but I've tested a few. I won't list new Arabia, but they are now one of my favorite (also Carthage's new harbors are great).

1. Morocco (1 and 2 are basically tied, I just had to pick a top one for the sake of it)
    2. Venice
    3. Portuguese
    4. Shoshone
    5. Assyria
    6. Brazil
    7. Poland
    8. Indonesia
    9. Zulu

18. msawchuk

msawchuk Chieftain

1. Poland
    Their UA is always useful as long as you are advancing in eras, which should be always. The UU is also very good because of its numerous benefits. The UB is also useful with gold being more scarce on terrain because it allows Golden Ages to boost pasture resources. They also have my favorite war music of BNW.
    2. Venice
    It's nice to have a more unique civ. The double trade routes makes them an economic superpower, but it is hard to stay ahead in tech which helps balance it out. It's also great to finally have a reason to make great merchants.
    3. Indonesia
    Other than the fact that their UA is very good on archipelago maps, but bad on pangaea, Indonesia is an awesome civ. Their UU is actually unique, unlike many other UUs that are just slightly better than the regular (some examples are the Ballista and the Musketeer). The UB is also very unique for a UB, because it doesn't always give the same yield. Their war music is also very good.
    4. Portugal
    This is a great civ because it would've been so easy to give them a bonus such as +20% gold from trade routes, or +2 gold from sea trade routes, but they got a bonus that has to do with resources, which can effect where you want to send your trade routes from and to, unlike the Egyptian UA which is just a +20% increase. The feitoria is also the most unique of all of the unique improvements.
    5. Shoshone
    The Pathfinder is a great UU. It has a very unique bonus and helps sovle the problem of losing scouts to barbarians. The only bad thing about it is that it is more expensive, so you don't have the option to produce cheap scouts to block enemy prophets or take cities. The land part of the UA is pretty good, but the combat bonus is boring. The other UU is also boring.
    6. Assyria
    The Siege Tower is a great unit. It's not as simple as a battering ram. It offers a bonus that encourages its use with other units, which is not something that we normally see. The UB is also one of the more unique UBs. The UA is very unique as well, but it is only as effective as the tech rate of the civ that you are conquering and the number of cities that they have. It's too situational.
    7. Brazil
    Brazil is a civ that I really like when I read its UA, but it doesn't turn out so well in game for me, but this might just be for me. The first game that I had with them the jungle start bias really hurt me, and I didn't have enough food to work a lot of the UI. The boosted tourism output wasn't very exciting, although I did like the increased GWAM generation. I never got a chance to use the UU, so I'm not sure how good it is.
    8. The Zulu
    The Zulu have a great UU. It's bonus is actually unique, and it's very useful. The UB isn't that great. The promotions could just be automatically given to the Impi, and they could have something better. The UA is also not my favorite. The reduced maintenance cost is only for melee units, and you are going to need a lot of ranged units. It is only very useful when you are building Impis, which makes them another civ that is only good at a certain time like the Mongols or the Huns.
    9. Morocco
    Morocco is not last because I hate them. None of the new civs are bad (the same can not be said for G&K and vanilla). I just think that the other civs are more unique. Their UA just gives them a set amount of gold and culture for each trade route. It's less exciting than Portugal's. The UU receives a couple of combat boni, but they could also be more exciting. I do like the UI. It synergies with the UU and gives Morocco two reasons to settle in deserts, but the fort combat bonus part of it is a bit overused in BNW. Both France and Portugal have UIs with defensive boni.

19. seamus2010

seamus2010 Chieftain

1. Portugal
    Gimme that luxury! and Gold!
    2. Venice
    More gold!
    3. Zulu
    Impis look awesome, and are awesome.

... there are other civs? Didn't notice.

20. ahawk

ahawk King

My #1 is Morocco:

They do well in deserts, can utilize Petra (if they can get it) like no other, have a UI that also aids desert tile-yields and defense, have a UU that aids in defense, and while turtling up can earn great money from the UA. I played them in my first game of BNW and won without too much trouble.

After that, it's a free-for-all.

Of the civs I've actually played (mostly just for the first 100 turns or so, to get a feel):

Assyrian UU is like the Battering Ram, but better.
    Shoshone are a great turtling civ that starts with an uber scout and extra tiles.
    Poland is not particularly interesting aside from the UA.
    Venice is unique, but somewhat at the mercy of CS placement on the map.
    Portugal is a lot of fun once you finally get Naus and Fetorias.
    Zulu, from just 50 turns, feel like cheating.

I've yet to even start a game as Indonesia, Brazil, or the new incarnation of France, so I can't even generalize about those.