1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Ranking Civs

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Maybe before ranking civs, you should try to calm down on your Nalanda bug discontent first. Everyone knows that there is no such "City-State spawn bias" and most of your recent posts are grumbling about the Nalanda bug as if it denies you from playing the game.

A lot of us had been discontent about the Work Ethnic bug, but I never seen anyone posted about their resentment on it every other week.

Equilin, enKage, pokiehl and 2 others like this.
  2. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

But... isn't using the game mechanics part of the game? If by exploiting RNG you mean restarting seeds until you get one you like, sure, but exploiting the game mechanics is part of the game. I'll be honest, I assumed the Nalanda bit of that post was a joke, so forgive me if I misread the tone of the post and Lily was being serious.

Hey, I love to argue too; I've got some strong opinions. But something unique to this forum that I don't see anywhere else is that, as opposed to arguing over subjective power rankings, I see people scoff at the idea of power ranking Civs altogether.

I mean sure, I get it, Civ's a high-variance game with its RNG seeding and stuff. But let's be real here, some Civs are straight up better than others in the game because of how the game is balanced; every Civ is completely different from one another. And because of that fact, looking at what Civs you think are the strongest also draws out conversation about what mechanics in the game are strong. I personally think it's pretty interesting.

Sorry if I misread the tone of the thread and went wildly off-topic here, but I just got annoyed by the attitude I saw towards tier lists/power ranking before I took a Civ-hiatus, and the first thing I see when I get back is more of that attitude. Just irks me a little.

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

People are saying that

1: Nalanda isn't a bug because it is avoidable, and that's why the developers shall not fix it, or be criticized for not fixing it.

2: However, power rankings shall not be based on the Nalanda strategy because Nalanda is a bug.

Does that make sense?

4. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Which of us here on this thread have said that the Nalanda exploit/bug wasn't one of those? None of us have done so. What we are saying is that it is not subjective to use one singular bug to judge every Civilization and Leader in the game.

AntSou, Equilin, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  5. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Never seen people saying that, especially the later half of the sentence; if anything, the statement actually echoed with some of your statements in the past. Therefore the comparison between 1. and 2. is invalid.

6. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

i think if anyone agreed with point 1 then their reason for not basing rankings on nalanda wasn't because "its a bug" but rather because you have to go so out of your way to activate the overpowered effect that even if a civ can more reliably get the effect than another, most of the time a person playing the game wouldnt even do that since its so monotonous so why bother even doing it?

7. Duke William of Normandy

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen people criticizing it, so that makes that point pretty invalid. :lol:

8. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Indeed. I'm gonna need some popcorn the way this thread is going...

I can't wait till NFP is out and we get the (final?) Set of elimination threads...

9. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

Also, is the cultural proximity for city-states even a thing? As far as I know, you're not more likely to spawn next to city-states based on what Civ you are, so the whole premise of that list false. That's why I thought that comment was a joke lmao

Ah, but wait for the Final Frontier Pass! The rabbit hole keeps getting deeper!

10. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

No, it’s not a thing at all. And yes it does invalidate the entirety of his forthcoming list if he’s putting India at 1 and 2 due to that.

There’s no such thing in the game; the ynamp mod adds that.

11. Duke William of Normandy

Wait... FACEPALM INSIDE.

How on earth did I not notice that?! I really need to do even more research before I say these things that make me look like an idiot.
    Anyway, yeah, so unless the OP is using YNAMP, there is no "City-State Spawn Bias" that could be in the game.

Jewelrunna likes this.
  12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

1. I seriously doubt there's even a single comment that you can quote where someone says that Nalanda isn't a bug or that the developers shouldn't fix it. People just aren't making a big deal out of it, because it isn't a big deal. It will get fixed... eventually. By now, Firaxis taking 3 months to fix anything is expected.

2. It's avoidable and it isn't something that most players use while playing, so what's the point of ranking based on a bug that people are just avoiding into it gets fixed? It's a pointless exercise, just as useful as beard ranks that people like to spam on reddit, but not as funny. If you want to do it though, it's your time, use it as you wish.

13. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Even if the proximity to certain CSs is a thing, who exactly is the target audience for such a list? This Nalanda bug reminds me a lot of the Pantheon bug, you have to go through such laborious and highly repetitive level of work to replicate the bug, and for what? To defeat the AIs? Of course the devs should fix all bugs, but the ones with high priorities are ones that we can easily run into while playing the game "normally", like the Basil II's bug or the Hetairoi's bug, but for ones that require a highly specific sequence of events to occur, I wouldn't say they should be prioritized.

And please, stop with these kinds of claims. If this is a 200-page thread, maybe you'll get away with claims like this, but it is not.

14. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

We are pretty close to all NFP content being released. Once it's all out there that's when i'll be interested in everyones tier lists.

15. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

Well, what's wrong with a little fun in the meantime. Not like we're not playing Civ until the NFP is finished.

16. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

I love discussion threads that compare the measurable differences in strength between the Civs - if you want to do one of those, I'm all in! I promise this thread isn't going to be one of them... it's going to be a tier list based on exploits and a very specific play style (conquer everything, no questions asked!) presented as absolute law that nobody can possibly debate, coming from a poster with a habit of rubbing others the wrong way. Doesn't strike me as a fount of meaningful discussion, but I guess we'll see.

As much as I do love reading about how Mongolia is far and away the best diplomatic victory civ in the game - which is an actual example from this forum of how he views everything in game - I think it's fair to poke fun at it a little bit.

And yeah, if we're honestly considering the Nalanda exploit in this tier list then it's not meant to be taken all the seriously in the first place.

Equilin, enKage, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  17. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

IIRC in one post later last year he said China/Qin was the best diplomatic victory civ. He didn't offer an explanation though when I asked about it.

18. anonxanemone

anonxanemone Warlord

The whole "tier list" would be made obsolete the moment of its patch. Personally, I don't appreciate tier lists, especially for a game like Civilization, where we have a five victory types and such a diverse set of bonuses for each civ.

19. Duke William of Normandy

Wait... what? :lol: How would China be the best DV Civilization? Hungary and Greece with Pericles are better than Qin.

20. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

To join the chorus, I'm all for an actual discussion thread talking about tier lists, rankings, etc. But this clearly isn't it. This is a not-very-disguised way for the OP to bang on about his topic-du-jour, which is the Nalanda bug. Maybe beyond that the rest will actually be a thoughtful and conversation-provoking list, but I'm skeptical myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.