1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rape Games in Japan?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JohnRM, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Should this be legal?

1. Yes, and I would buy it.

13.9%
  2. Yes, but I wouldn't buy it.

53.5%
  3. Absolutely not! I am not a sick, psychopathic freak.

32.7%
  1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Do you think it should be legal for me to publish a video game where I bust into RedRalphWiggum's house and shred RedRalphWiggum to pieces while he makes internet posts on his computer?

2. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Making a game that depicts physical violence against a particular individual could be considered to be threatening physical violence against that individual...

Now, if that individual happens to be, say, the President, being blown up by a terrorist attack in a popular TV series, you might be able to argue that it is depicting a scenario of artistic merit or public interest, or at least fairly using a public figure's name/title. I don't think that raping my mother is public interest, though if it was particularly artsy it might get the artistic merit part of that. But if it was artsy I doubt I would find it grotesquely offensive anyway. There's also the little part about "consent". Remember? We talked about this earlier, when you were babbling about Greeks or something. I doubt my mother would ever consent to being used in a rape game.

RRW, I have no idea where you're going with this. These games aren't even raping an individual, they're raping generic women. If you made a game raping Miley Cyrus, it would probably be banned, and the makers sued. It's pretty clear from your inability to form complete, coherent sentences lately that you're just ranting. I suggest you calm down a bit before responding :)

3. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

It's not real, it's a game. Adults should be able to do whatever they want if no one gets hurt.

4. Till

Till Adventurer

Morally repugnant video games have been around for quite some time, and yet i am not aware of a single study that supports the notion that such games somehow make you emulate the virtual crime in reality.

I do think that prospective players of rape games are likely to have psychological issues, though. But you don't make those go away by banning the games.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Question, since all these moral comparisons make my brane hertz.

Is going on a scripted killing spree of Russian civilians in an airport better or worse than rape? From a moral point of view that is.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Exactly...

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

What's the nationality of the rape victim?

8. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Oh crap. See, walked right into that one. I'm so out of my league I feel like a schoolgirl in a ... no! Bad Ziggy!

Uhm ... French.

9. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

I assume these are the statistics for actual rapes in Japan and the US.

This has come up before, and I always find it funny when inhabitants of the violent, murderous, and rapacious west start frothing about the supposed moral shortcomings of the peaceful, barely violent, and barely rapacious Japanese.

Let's ignore reality when we pass judgement on them,
    let's use a game as the only stick we can beat them with.

As Japan appears to only think about it a lot, rather than actually do it a lot, I say Japan wins.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Dude, we have some pretty sick games too. There is a game, I believe called "Great Robbery Automobile", where you can steal stuff, run innocent pedestrians over with cars, punch random innocent people in the face, shoot up pedestrians, have sex with hookers, kill them, fly airplanes into building, and so forth. This game is played by billions of Americans. There is also a game where you can pee on people. This is played by millions of thousands of hundreds.

11. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

It's just a game, get over it.

I don't see how playing questionable games would make people any more likely to rape, or commit any other crimes for that matter, than they would otherwise if they didn't play.

Banning these games, as has been mentioned, is the best advertisement one could give these games. Just ignore them.

12. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I don't claim to know the actual incidence of rape in Japan, but societies where women tend to be subservient tend to have a lot of under-reporting of rape (as everyone here knows but is pretending to have forgotten)

13. bender19

bender19 Warlord

We seemed to have skipped the bit where it was proved rape games increase the incidence of rape. Some seem to take it as given that a rape game will cause a person to actually rape.

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

You don't need proof when you have knee-jerk gut reactions that are immune to rationality and reason, let alone pesky things like "facts". You ever heard of a fact saving a life or preventing rape? No, me neither :smug:

15. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Guys, I can see where RRW is coming from

I played Tetris as a kid, and now I'm a brickie

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

:lol::lol::lol:

17. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Kinf of ironic considering you imagined a threat in a hypothetical game where there wasn't one and called for it to be banned...:goodjob:

18. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

I looked it up once before, which is why the proportions looked similar to me.

Well, i believe rape is under reported in the west also, as the conviction rate is so low so what's the point ?

So I don't believe your point amounts to a significant weighting.

Outside of the frothing about anime and rape games, Japan has a reputation of law and order and peacefulness.

istr Amadeus - who actually lives there - commenting recently to the last point.

19. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Unless it's underreported by an identical amount, your point is irrelevant.

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

You know, it would be useful if, in this discussion, you could follow a logical argument... Or at least string a sentence together, complete with enough punctuation to parse it relatively unambiguously. As it is, it's just rambling nonsense.