Rapidity of RULES.TXT changes

corsika

Chieftain
Hey all,

Typically, I can find answers to my questions with a forum search or two. This time, I just can't seem to get my hands on a resource that gives me the information I need.

I started a scenario, and while it's not very far in, I'm quite pleased with the setup. (You know you've been there too!!) However, there are also a couple slight modifications to RULES.TXT I was planning on making that I forgot to. <insert lecture about being very very careful while making changes to RULES.TXT here> :)

My question is: If I make changes to RULES.TXT, when do they take effect?

Two possible suggestions hit me:
1) I close the program and restart it (making it re-read the file).
2) The parameters for this particular save are baked into the save file, and I would need to start a new game.

The changes I want to make won't take effect until a bit later in the game, and they're subtle so I might not actually notice when they do.

Anyone who can offer assistance on the matter gets... umm... the genuine thanks of someone who's looking for help (which these days seems to be a rare commodity :) )

Thanks in advance,

cors

< EDIT: Well, I had an idea... I changed a variable concerning the trade on Grassland, closed the game, restarted it, and loaded the save file. It had the Grassland change. This indicates to me it's the first one. Now, this doesn't guarantee it does this for all variables, but it seems likely that it would.

I'll just kind of leave this post here so it can be found in future searches... I won't be offended if it gets no replies, but I wouldn't mind if someone more experienced were to weigh in on the matter. />

Most definitely. I have my entire game copy backed up, all I have to do is un-zip it (I keep it on a thumb drive for carrying it places.)

This probably belongs in the Scenario Creation subforum.
My question is: If I make changes to RULES.TXT, when do they take effect?
As a general rule, most sections of the rules file take immediate effect when you reload a saved game or begin a scenario - and you don't need to quit the game after making edits. However, there are some parts that are only read once - during the build world phase - and so it's preferable to get those right first time. These are embedded in the SAV/SCN file when you save. Any subsequent changes to rules.txt are ignored. A few of these are only relevant to ToT.
  1. @TERRAIN: The food, shield and trade values for each terrain type are used to calculate fertility values for plains and grasslands terrain tiles. This fertility index is used by the AI to determine a tile's suitability for settlement and ranges from 0 to 15. Most terrain types get zero (unsuitable). Only the grasslands and plains slots get a higher value: 8-15. This is hard-coded. The higher the value, the more favourable to the AI. The index for a single tile is based on the combined food/shield/trade values of the surrounding tiles within a city radius (weightings apply). I doubt it'll be any great deal if you change your terrain stats at a later date.
  2. @LEADERS: Leader name and gender, and city style are all saved in the SAV/SCN file. The first two are easy to change in Cheat mode: Cheat menu &#8594; Edit King. The city style can be changed using a utility called CivTweak. The tribe name and adjective are a little odd. When you use Edit King &#8594; Edit Name, those two variables are stored in the SAV files (when you save) and a flag is set for the current human player. If the flag is on, then the game will take the variables from the SAV file instead of rules.txt. You can always change the names by going back to Edit Name.
  3. @LEADERS2 (ToT only): Technology restrictions are stored in the SAV/SCN file so they can be modified by events (EnableTechnology action) during the course of a game.
  4. @UNITS_ADVANCED, columns D, E and F (ToT only): Unit inter-map transport relationships are stored in the SAV/SCN file so they can be modified by events (Transport action) during the course of a game.
I think that's about it. I hope that makes sense; it's the early hours of the morning here and I'm half asleep.

I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

So the values for the terrain yield (food/shield/arrows) can change, but the AI's value of it is set in stone (barring editing the .SAV file)?

Also, I guess in hindsight I can see how this might be related to scenario creation. That didn't occur to me because I'm not planning to create or play a scenario.

So the values for the terrain yield (food/shield/arrows) can change, but the AI's value of it is set in stone (barring editing the .SAV file)?
That's right, but there's a utility that can change that, too. It's called MapCopy. If you wanted, you could make the entire map fertile or infertile in the eyes of the AI. Do the latter and their settlers will wander around like tards.

Top Bottom