1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

.rar request

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by ACGandolf, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ACGandolf

ACGandolf Chieftain

Please give an option on .rar or zip.

I downloaded the rar unlock file and it really screwed up my comp, particularly with zip files I had downloaded.

Is there a reason for using the .rar file rather than zip?

Seems like if people put all of the effort and good work into making a mod or senario then they should use a file that people can unlock with out going the rar route.

Thanks.

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

.rar files, from what i can gather, are a better compression format by far.

you need a program called winrar, which i believe you can use for a month then pay. also there may be p2p options

also there is a opensource thing called 7zip ".7z" but i think that their program also opens .rar files (but correct me if im wrong)

i use winrar, but when i save my uploads, i use the .zip container with winrar compressing techniques. this is out of courtesy to users mainly. since i know that 99% of windows users can open these files.

3. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

sorry, what's rar? Have got Winzip. But when I try to download zipped files,
    ie scenarios, they won't unzip to the scenarios directory.
    Guess I'm just dumb. So how do do this?

4. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

5. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Rar gives better compession, has a more flexible interface, can integrate seemlessly into context menus, is very configurable, and can work on all of the popular PC archive formats, including 7z, ace, tar, and gzip. It's also a very reliable piece of software. If people want a "one for all" solution for working with archives on a PC, I always recommend RAR.

I don't think that Rar can screw up a computer unless you either made a mistake during installation, or downloaded a virus-infected cracked version from somewhere. What specifically went wrong on your PC? Perhaps we can fix the problem if you can describe it.

6. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Winrar is pathetic with the trial thing. After the trial is up, it just sends a popup at you every time you load it up that the program is shareware and you should pay them :commerce:

Close that popup and get on with the extraction!

7. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

IZarc handles every archive format I've ever needed it to and then some. It also can create more of those files. (It can't create .ace, but it can read them.)