Rat27 - AWM OBC as Persia

ThERat

Deity
This Always War game has a new twist as we are only allowed to build one city. This will require a pretty different strategy from normal AW games.

We have chosen Greebley's start with iron within reach. I continued to play until 40 turns. The iron is now connected via a colony and we have 1 immortals already.

Now, what is our strategy from here on?
- Do we build many immortals and let research drop very low and go all out to attack the red Civ?
- Do we build maybe 5 immortals for a first attack on a Civ once there is a town within reach? And continue with wealth for the time being?
- Do we go for a wonder?

I am certainly no expert for such a game and open to any suggestion

save

The Roster
Greebley
ThERat
Elear
el filet
TheOverseer

We need our enemies to build some nice nearby cities for us to take over. As far as wonders go, even at Monarch, we won't get much chance of getting any built, and the wonder cascade still works extremely fast. We may need to do some minimum runs on some techs to not go broke from unit support. The big thing is to capture a 2nd town ASAP to boost unit support. If we aren't swarmed with enemies, we might just have a chance.

I am not sure waiting for the red civ to grow unopposed makes sense. I would be inclined to hurt them now with the immortals - maybe even making our first city their Capitol if need be. Its my belief that Rank corruption tends to dominate especially if we have courthouses, so taking cities as far away as red is now will not be badly corrupt.

So attack sooner while our Immortals have a clear advantage. Keep red from Iron.

However, we do not want to Kill red. They will send settlers to unclaimed lands so we can let them be for now and attack later.

At least that is how I see it - get some cities now even though the distance is far rather than wait around.

BTW, I think we can get wonders if we want them. Monarchy OCC games have been done and you can grab select wonders, IIRC. I think I would rather take out cities however than build wonders. GLib still seems worthwhile since we cannot trade for tech. We go for Lit relatively soon and we should have no troubles getting it unless we get really unlucky.

Checking in.

I think we should move towards Literature also. TGL is the only wonder I care for in this type of game. Otherwise we should be trying to get a few cities from red, and then waiting for them to make more, etc. until we have a semblance of an empire.

If red is Rome, it would be good to prevent them from getting iron. I suggest to go for their capital as Greebley and Elear said. Maybe we can go for a min run on writing after alphabet is done

Rome is usually the crimson red, whereas this seems the darker red. I'm betting Byzantines or Japan, they seem to usually get the liver color as their team color. If it is the Byzantines, they usually are damn slow expanding. The Seafaring civs are often slow growers.

are you sure about the color as this red is precisely the Roman red...Byz red looks a bit darker usually...I might be wrong though.

Whichever it is, I think it would be a good idea to gather, say 5 immortals and then visit their capital. Do not send a trickle, get a proper party together to surprise them. The capital will not be autorazed as it had a culture expansion. So, if we stick to taking their capital after each expansion, we should be fine.

Good thought about the autorazing, but I'm not sure about 5 immortals. Would not 6 or 7 be more effective, considering one or two may die from attacks before/after the capture of their capital? On Monarch I wouldn't care, it just seems like we should have a little more of a force if we're taking a city or two on Emperor.

Then again, one city does have limits, both in production time and support. :(

We can do five I suppose, but we could also do this:

Find a good sized town near the capital and take it.

Capture the capital and stop attacks. Use immortal forces, split them, and hold the two cities.

If we go for another city first, we may have a better idea of what we'll face at the capital.

edit: But then again, the capital would be a better second city as mentioned above???? I'm not an expert on corruption.

I think if we find a city we can take without autorazing it, we can do so. If a town blocks access to the towns we want to take, we autoraze anyway.

Before we get all the needed units, I think we want to start roading toward. The road crew should have 2-3 units protection.

checking in.

agree on push for capital. would feel better with more then 5 of them, but i doubt we can afford more, especially since we should take another city asap.

I am fairly sure the next 10-30 turns are pretty straight forward. Elear, can you play this or do you need a skip?

As you said, straight-forward. I'll play today.

Pre-turn: I don't know what you guys are arguing about. I loaded it up, and it is clearly Rome or Babylon. A quick space ship screen check confirms Rome.

2110 BC (1): Immortals -> Immortals.

2070 BC (2): zz

2030 BC (3): We have gems! On this weird little peninsula to the southeast, on a mountain in the tundra. This makes three luxuries near us when the wines from the NW are factored in along with the incense near the Roman borders.

1990 BC (4): zz

IT: Rome founds Antium 3N of the iron colony.

1950 BC (5): Immortals -> Immortals. Research reduced to 50 percent.

1910 BC (6): zz

1870 BC (7): Worker starts road 1N of iron colony. Shielded by 3 immortals. Declare war on Rome. And then the funniest thing happens, we get a Settler from a hut in the SE tundra. :lol: I consider disbanding it, and I usually don't get settlers above Regent level, but we'll take it for a quick pop boost in our capital. Too bad it'll take time to get there... Research reduced to 40 percent.

1830 BC (8): The settler begins to march back to our capital.

1790 BC (9): Immortals -> Worker. Research to 30 percent.

1750 BC (10): Worker -> Immortals. Disband explorer warrior in the SE.

Post-turn: I worked the slider to make sure we wouldn't run out of gold. I did a worker to make sure we won't have to use the luxury slider (we can't afford to!). Antium should probably just be razed, since its location does not lend much to growth. Waiting for it to grow may take too long. Our workers cannot make great progress without capturing/razing Antium either. Neither can we advance towards the capital. But I'll leave that to the next player. Antium only seems to be defended by a warrior (although they are probably building a spearman).

The save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/104555/Rat27_BC1750.SAV

The known world:

Antium does seem very poorly situated. Definitely better to just raze it. This is kind of a food-poor map in general with lots of desert, tundra, and hills. We have our work cut out for us.

i got it

don't think i'll be able to play before sunday. in case overseer has time tomorrow, i suggest we swap. will certainly check forum before i play.

agree on raze. walking around could net us another city, but is not worth the risk.

A settler from a hut is rare on this level...and pretty 'useful', well we can covert it to a worker.

raze that city and march on, behind is a border expanded city, maybe the capital Rom. That would not be autorazed. Take it and then we need to see where th new capital is and take it 10 turns later.

Overseer, if you can play tonight, go ahead as el filet can only play on sunday.

If I can keep my game from crashing, I can play tonight and tomorrow. Depends on how much happens.

Top Bottom