Rat43 CCM - Every Knee Shall Bend

Settings and terms: CCM biq 1.7.1, Maya, huge world, no barbarians, continents, 60% water, wet/temperate/5 billion, normal AI aggression, deity, mandatory despotism-theocracy-fascism government path.

I hope everyone will look over those settings to make sure they're all right. I don't normally start the games, and we want to catch any errors now, not when we've invested a couple of hundred hours.

The roster:

Northern Pike
Greebley
Elephantium
ThERat
CommandoBob

4000 (0): The worker’s first recon move shows wheat, so this looks like a good start. The eventual 2-2-2 yield from all those river BG tiles will be invaluable in a game we’ll be playing mostly in the tile penalty.

3950 (1): We found Chichén Itza. The code for the town’s “é” is Alt + 0233, BTW. ;)

3850 (3): Proceeding northeast up the river, our worker locates a reasonable second site, with no food bonus but a lot more BG.

3750 (5): Chichén Itza scout --> scout. I believe that we missed a couple of twofers by one or two turns early in the last game, and I don’t want to let that happen again. Without WC we don’t have the option of an immediate Slaver’s Hut build anyway.

3700 (6): We found Copán (Alt + 0225). Given the tile penalty, I don’t try to take in the mountain gold. Zero-food tiles will never help us much.

3650 (7): Our worker gives up his reconnaissance hobby and begins his real career.

Our scout discovers two wine hills just west of the capital, though the surrounding terrain is unpleasant.

3550 (9): Chichén Itza scout --> National Symbol.

3500 (10): Copán WORKER HOUSES --> NS.

Lurk mode = ON

3450 (11): We’re on the east coast of our continent.

3400 (12): Our first scout makes an early contact, just as planned—but it’s with the Indochinese, who have the same starting techs as we do, so no trade is possible. :mad: This also means an early war with elephant people is likely.

3350 (13): Chichén Itza National Symbol --> warrior.

3300 (14): Copán NS --> warrior.

3150 (17): Chichén Itza warrior --> warrior.

3100 (18): Copán warrior --> warrior.

3000 (20): The Indochinese still have only their starting techs, so they haven’t met any third civ either. If it turns out that we’re on a large island rather than a continent, with only one or two rivals, we can re-start. That situation isn’t impossible but it’s boring.

Despite a reasonable amount of exploration, we don’t have an obvious city site for the settler we’re about to receive. We should probably settle for site 1 on the screenshot, which will at least hook up the wines. Full development of that spot will require a dreadful amount of worker service, but OTOH the city will be able to work five tiles that will be productive with no worker attention at all, and three semi-acceptable riverside forests after that. Bear in mind that the settler will have to take a circuitous route starting south, since it can’t enter roadless mountains.

The new town’s first build should be National Symbol, then walls.

Copán should build a scout after its current warrior and send it east. Once Chichén Itza has built a total of four warriors, two for itself and two for the new city, it should build a scout and send it north. After these builds both towns should probably get their walls up.

After all that, if we’re still working on WC, we should pre-build Slaver’s Hut with a granary in the capital.

This isn’t relevant yet, but once we have Polytheism, we’ll want to get three temples up so that we can start building our ten-shield religious communities—human-sacrifice communities, actually. :lol: That’s an easy point to overlook in CCM.

It’s more important at the moment to have our workers do quick roading jobs, so that we aren’t working unroaded tiles, than to have them make the longer commitment to mining.

So, for the moment anyone on the team who wants to play is welcome to post a got-it and begin, although that never works for long and we'll need a set roster eventually.

This also means an early war with elephant people is likely.
That is not good news. They can make those Grey Tanks cheaper than we can, even before the Diety Discount.

This is not a get. I'm busy with church stuff on Sunday.

Back to the Opening Post: Any specific VC in mind?

lurker's comment: signing in for the peanut gallery. :) :popcorn:

:Lurker: Joining the peanut gallery. Good luck to all the players.

Always interesting to see a Rat game, lurker on duty here.

I'm glad to see our lurkers back for another game. :goodjob: But what does it tell us, that they've reacted so much more promptly to the new thread than the actual players? Apparently Civ occupies the same position as sex in our culture--a diminishing minority of people still bother to do it, and everyone else just watches it on the Internet. :lol:

LMAO, NP!

I'd have taken a set, but I've been busy with friends and relatives this weekend. If someone else hasn't picked it up, I'll play a turnset tomorrow night.

Are the only rules about the govt we choose? I kind have forgot all that was discussed.
Conquest win and we're not doing Always War from our side.

Yes, our only special provision is the despotism-theocracy-fascism path, and we're not obligated to beeline for Religion and Fascism if we'd prefer other techs first.

The main implication of this right now is that we have to make all our decisions about city placement and tile improvement on the assumption that we'll be in the tile penalty for the whole decisive part of the game. Placing our cities on fresh water is thus abnormally important, so that we'll still get the third centre-tile food from our agricultural trait.

Capitol built 2 more Warriors and started granary. One goes with settler leave 2 in Capitol.
Copan builds Warrior which starts exploring
2850 Greeks finish statue of Zeus
2800 Greeks also finish the Colossus
2800 Indians complete Temple of Artemis
2660 Meet Greece. Trade Pottery, 14 gold, and 3 gpt for Bronze Working. It will delay Warrior code by 2 turns, but we also have to raise Lux rate for Copan
2620 Palenque Founded in NP's spot which shaves 1 turn off WC (8 turns now)
2580 Hebrew complete Stonehenge
2540 Americans finish Pyramids
Encounter Poland. They have all our techs.
2500 Temple Baalbek built by Canadian

Notes:
Capitol Granary almost done.
Worker isn't guarded yet. When do we need to do so?
No one has Warrior code yet, but I am not too hopeful. Once we get it, it becomes cheaper for the AI who also gets it and can trade it before us. Indochina might not have it but they have no tech to trade.
We also seem to know France.

Top Bottom