1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ratification Poll Amendment to Article H (resubmitted)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Polls' started by Comnenus, Aug 8, 2004.

?

Should the amendment to Article H be ratified?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2004.
  1. Yes

90.0%
  2. No

10.0%
  3. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

This is a poll to determine if Article H. of the Constitution should be amended in the following manner.
    Code:
    Article H.
                No person shall hold multiple positions of leadership 
                (President, Department Leader, Judiciary, Provincial 
                Governor) simultaneously.
    Should article H. of the Constitution be amended as follows?
    Code:
    Article H.
                  No person shall hold multiple positions of leadership 
                  (President, [B]Vice-President[/B], Department Leader, 
                  Judiciary, Provincial Governor, [B]Deputy[/B]) simultaneously,
                  [B]nor shall have more than one accepted nomination at the
                  commencement of the general election[/B].
    The text in bold indicates the wording in Article H which would be changed if the Amendment is ratified.

To see the discussion of this amendment and how it was arrived at, please click here.

There are 3 choices in this poll:
    Yes (ratify)
    No (defeat)
    Abstain

This is a public poll which will remain open for 96 hours, after which time the amendment shall be considered to be Ratified or Defeated.

2. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I am strongly opposed to limiting the number of accepted nominations, and slightly opposed to limiting someone from being a leader of one office and deputy of another, however will reserve my vote for later.

3. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I fully support this move. I believe this will help better the government overall in strength as it will have more people inside of it, instead of just elites with possible multiple positions.

4. gert-janl

gert-janl Alive!!!

Definitely a YES!

5. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

I encourage all citizens to vote yes in this poll.

6. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

NAY I say. Limiting running for offices to undemocratic. Why should a limit be placed on public positions that you can run for?

7. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

There was quite a bit of discussion on whether to limit the number of accepted nominations or not. In the end it was decided that we would limit it to one nomination per person. As written, it does not mean that a person who has accepted a nomination cannot be nominated for another position. If they accept the second nomination, then they must resign the first nomination. In the end, of course, this is up to the voters to decide. We did our best with a contentious issue.

8. Gregski

Gregski Mostly Harmless

I support this amendment as this will require people to totally declare their loyalties. There are some very talented people out there who could run the entire game on their own without any help whatsoever. That's not the point of the demogame however and everyone must be given a chance to participate. After all, you cannot be committed to more than one role in any term.

9. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

We already restrict people to holding one office. Everyone is given a chance to participate, there is no requirement for running in elections.

10. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

We need 11 more votes to meet quorum, folks. Please vote YES!

11. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

I agree with this ammendment in the short and middle terms. If we have a large number of Provinces, I may offer an ammendment, but that should be quite later on.

12. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

Thanks for your vote, Sir D3. I'm sure the Constitution will always need to be looked at as we face new challenges and look forward to your ideas.

13. msz4

msz4 Peasant

Yes Yes Yes Yes

14. snipelfritz

snipelfritz Crazy about the Demogame

Hypothetical Situation:

So lets say there is someone running for two positions. Say Minister of FA and President. He has accepted nominations for both. I vote for them in the race for minister. He then wins the election for President and accepts. By the current article. He is then void from the Minister of FA election, even if he won, and my vote was completely worthless and didn't make a difference.

Don't let this happen. Vote yes.

15. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

Under the current article that is right, sniplefritz. That is why everyone should vote for this amendment. If someone wants to run for office, they should choose what is most important to them, and not play the lottery hoping to win some election, any election. If people are more concerned with playing the game, than in playing power politics, one office nomination is plenty. This amendment is a reaction to the free for all we had with the last election. If, at some time in the future, people determine the situation has changed, they can always try to amend the Constitution again.

16. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Being a Veteran, I vote NO, but it doesnt matter now.

17. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

we need 3 votes either way ,,,,,please?

18. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

If you are holding out because you feel that there will be too many positions by Term 4-5 and not enough takers: Remember that I have personally stated that I may seek an ammendment once we have enough Provinces. This version fits our needs in the early days. Let us pass this version now, so that we can evolve this to our needs later.

19. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

And Article H has been ratified! Congrats! :thumbsup:

20. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Finally, a decent amendment. Why should I complain - after all, one out of three isn't bad.