1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ratification Poll Article O (resubmitted)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Polls' started by Comnenus, Aug 8, 2004.

?

Shall Article O. be added to the Constitution?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2004.
  1. Yes

90.0%
  2. No

7.5%
  3. Abstain

2.5%
  1. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

This poll is to determine if Article O should be ratified and added as an Article of the Constitution.
    Code:
    Article O
                 The area contained within the national boundaries of Japanatica 
                 shall be divided into areas called provinces, each of which 
                 is under the control of a Governor as stated in Article E. of the
                 Constitution. These boundries must be defined and approved by 
                 the House well ahead of expansion, and may extend beyond the 
                 cultural boundaries. City locations shall be determined by the 
                 Will of the People.
    Discussion for this proposed Article is located here.

The proposed language of Article O. does not replace any other language in the Constitution, as there is no current Article O. of the Constitution.

There are three (3) options in placing your vote:
    1. Yes (to ratify)
    2. No (to defeat)
    3. Abstain

This is a public poll and will run for 96 hours, after which time the proposed Article will be considered to be Ratified or Defeated.

2. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

I encourage all citizens to vote yes in this poll.

3. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

How are all these amendments failing? I thought there was a huge majority yes on them.

4. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

There was 85 - 94% approval, but they failed under the original version of Article I to get the required number of votes. With the amended version of Article I we are hopeful that we can now get passage of the needed articles and amendments.

5. Gregski

Gregski Mostly Harmless

Come on people, cast your votes and be proud of it.

6. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

No.

Poorly written. One leader should be responsible for guiding provincial border discussions. As this law is written should we fail to have the borders defined early, the house is responsible for it, and thus a CC should be filed against the house?!?!?!

Lovely. Think people - anytime to define a responsibility, you must be sure there is some means of accountability. This law introduces responsibility, but no accountability.

-- Ravensfire

7. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

So much for the null vote strategy, and abstaining in public polls. :D Ya know, this new Article I may work after all. :mischief:

Seriously though, this is a good point that should really have been covered in the appropriate discussion thread. The nation could really use your help, RF, if only it were more timely. I hereby extend an invitation to the Citizens Forum to help us out on these things. This is not a shot; I am serious.

8. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Thank you for the vote, ravensfire. In Article D of the Constitution it states that the Domestic Minister is responsible for all domestic initiatives. That pretty much covers accountability for me. If the DMs don't coordinate, organize, or guide the Provincial border discussions then they aren't doing their job.

This proposed Amendment states that the borders will be defined and approved by the House. This means the citizens will propose the borderlines and vote to approve the best ones. It does not relieve the DM from being responsible for all domestic initiatives. The House is NOT responsible.

9. Comnenus

Comnenus AKA Kenshin

8 more votes to go! Lets keep moving to victory. Vote YES!

10. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

On the condition that Article E is passed, and that probably is on the condition that my concerns abotu possible conflicts of responsibility between the Governors and the Domestic Advisor are adressed, I will vote yea on this ammendment.

11. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

good 1 more vote here and more in the others then we may finally have a constitution

12. Cyc

And Article O has been ratified. Congrats! :thumbsup:

13. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Oh goody. Nw tell me, do we have PIs or CCs in this one? I can't wait to PI/CC the whole darn house when it fails to set provincial boundaries well ahead of expansion as called for in this amendment.

14. Cyc

Silly donsig. The House is not responsible for all domestic initiatives, the Domestic Advisor is. The House, as I'm sure I've told you before, defines and approves said boundries in processes designed and run by the Domestic Advisor. :)

15. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

You could probably start now - I seem to remember a previous JR over initial provincial boundaries that was forgotten in the rush to bad laws.

-- Ravensfire

16. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Well old friend, this here amendment that is now part of our constitution doesn't say a darned thing about the domestic advisor or initiatives. It says in plain black and white that These boundries must be defined and approved by the House well ahead of expansion. It seems pretty obvious that if provincial borders are not set in a timely fashion then it is the House and no one else that is responsible.

Of course it doesn't really matter though because the judicary made governors figments of our imagination anyway, so who needs provinces?

Oh, yeah, wait - that other amendment defining governors passed and saved the judiciary's collective arses didn't it? :mischief:

17. Cyc

Well, donsig, my old friend. You need to take those blinders off. As you said to my esteemed colleague, Public Defender KCCrusader, you might want to read the Constitution! (or something to that effect). Article D specifies the responsibilities of the Minister of Domestic Affairs (D.1), also known as the Domestic Advisor. It plainly states that the Domestic Advisor is responsible for ALL domestic initiatives. Now we can drag this boring conversation out for as long as you like, but this Term you're going to lose. ;)