1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rating the Governments (Gathering Storm)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Archon_Wing, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Envoys are cool, but which card in particular?

The +2 envoy pt card one? That's 1 more envoy every 50 turns; I'll probably be in another government by then. I don't even take it when i do get a green slot.

The first = 2 one? That doesn't need a dedicated slot for it at all. You just put it in as needed.

I think I'll try building it under Classical Republic and then switching to Autocracy. I used to do that with Oligarchy because it is useless outside of war (and honestly now, useless if you don't have iron/UU) unless you want to go full meme with spears.

2. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

The +2 points per turn combined with Monarchy.

Diplomatic Favour sells for ridiculous amounts of gold now.

3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea, but then you have to take Monarchy and not even I know what to do with 3 military slots.

Well, GG AI I guess.

4. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Mobility is awesome.

And yeah, you can currently cripple the AI through trading your diplomatic favour. If you win an emergency, the 200 favour trades for a few hundred gold a turn...

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

In spite of the favorable card distribution, I can't remember the last time I adopted Classical Republic. I can't see much benefit of this government. Happiness is not really an issue at this point of the game imo., and +15 % great people points requires you to have between +4 and +7 GPPT depending on how they round the numbers, which again doesn't seem to happen very often for me that early. The up-front benefits of Autocracy and Oligarchy just seem too good, picking either one depending on whether I'm going builder or warmonger at this point of the game.

6. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

But the favorable card distribution is the benefit of CR. You can run +1 Production, +50% to Settlers, and +30% to Builders simultaneously. Or +15% to Wonders, or -1 GPT for upgrades, or whatever. It's a big economic boost. The others have red slots, which aren't as useful if you don't need to build a bunch of units.

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Good point, I guess in the end it evens out fairly much. I don't mind having a single military slot, even if the economic ones are better, so I guess it's a toss between which benefit you think weigh the heavier.

8. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I wouldn't mind one militry slot, either, but that government only buffs units. To get the +1 resources boost from Autocracy, you have to settle for two military slots and I just can't imagine which two military cards are worth running early.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It is at this stage of the game that you should be in army/navy mode so you want a discount built red card and a maintenance/pillage... also when logistics comes around it is a heavily underrated card.by the average player. Now also you have the Cree and incans making use of the scout XP card.red cards are good... a lot of commercial cards like +2 gold per trade route typically net you 2-6 gold at this stage of the game... I mean really a rubbish card.

The double envoy card slotted for a single turn will net you for a single envoy 30-50 turns of use of the other card, it is a no brainier... slot the +2 when everything has an envoy or you do not have a spare and are not exploring by sea.

One thing people have missed is swapping governments, I will for example take autocracy then swap to Oligarchy for getting the legacy card or vice versa, a few turns of Oligarchy to get the legacy then go autocracy.
    If you are Maori or have war carts you have no maintenance issue so maybe the republic is better and as said the legacy card is great there also. I really cannot rate any government above another as it depends on the civ I am playing, what I am doing and also what government other civs have.

Shorlin and acluewithout like this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Right, I forgot I'm using a mod that switches the card slots and effects for Autocracy and Oligarchy. So Autocracy has the military buffs and two red card slots, while Oligarchy has the palace yields and even card distribution. That makes Oligarchy a pretty hot pick when doing an average balanced early game, while Autocracy is go-to if I'm doing war. I guess I should look into buffing Classical Republic's effect, so it get's more appealing when doing a peaceful builder early game.

11. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, especially very early, I do like having a military slot, since there's usually one of them that I like to run and don't like wasting a wildcard slot on them since it doesn't take a long time running one of the GP cards to get a great person from them.

Personally, I just never run autocracy, because I can't find 2 things to run in military slots normally, I don't build the government plaza early enough, so still feel that the extra econ slot+other bonuses from classical republic are more worth it. If I'm planning on warring, then usually I'll do Oligarchy, since that +4 bonus is pretty sweet. But especially later in the game, I do really like the Classical Republic legacy bonus, so it's nice to have it around too.

12. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

Classical Republic -> Merchant Republic -> Communism -> Synthetic Technocracy

Because raking gold in from classic to renaissance will give you tons of cities, that will be very powerful during industrial era communism, and will be powered by magic of Synth.Tech.

13. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

Fair points, although I feel like your opinion is somewhat biased toward war. I shouldn't be in army/navy mode because I simply don't have this stage in my game - I will get perma friendships with all AIs by the end of classical and will only build units to meet Eurekas (although I may still get the Eurekas via levying). Now, if I don't really have an army, those red cards are almost worthless to me, so why would I want two of them? I agree that some of the brown cards are quite worthless in the early game, but I really don't have trouble with filling up my three brown slots with meaningful cards.

I understand that my approach can be atypical, but aggressive peaceful expansion seems to work quite well for me.

14. Victoria

Let me attempt to reassure you then.
    If I am aggressive I will be Oligarchic but if I am peaceful I do like the wonder bonus from autocracy. Even if peaceful I often built units at this stage because they help you be peaceful.
    Swapping to classic is also something I did, the green card is less use than a red card which can also be for housing or amenities and the main message I was getting across is what are good commercial cards? 50% settlers sure, the others are not blinding but 2 commercial slots are binding. Also why tie yourself to 1 government, use all 3, just remember there is a horrid price to going back to an old government.

acluewithout likes this.
  15. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

I follow this path, though I rather like Corporate Libertarianism, If I already have a good science position.

16. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Well, +30% to Builders is also good (and later, +2 Builder charges). The +1 Production card stays good for a while. You'll start to get the +100% district adjacency cards soon, too.

17. Victoria

Unconvinced on this one in particular. Builders in general you should not be spamming until Feudalism.
    It is a question of how many cities you have and how many need builders as to the value and it may be worth taking out 50% settler and putting in 50% builder if need be. You cannot build both in the same city after all.
    You may already have the 100% card in play, all a question of where you want to be but too fast early may leave you with expensive districts later.
    +2 builder charges, of course, you can have your legacy card and swap governments then.
    Early PP I think classic republic only is good for a few exceptions, later on, sure. You do not need 2 red slots, sure. But even peaceful play, when I get DOW’d getting an extra 50 faith or gold from a pillage is nice. As I said, logistics is a hugely underrated card and it does not mean agressive play, it means my builder can go on the hill and set a mine in the same turn, I get extra production from this act, I can move onto trees and chop in the same turn, fantastic, may even get me that wonder. Barb attack? My sword moves 1.5* normal speed to get there.
    +1 production is a powerful card if your city is only making 4 production a turn but when it is making 14 it is a poorish card unless you are comparing to +2 per trade route.
    What speeds up your civs advancement more is they key question, not what is written on a card sounding good.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

+1 movement to all your units starting in friendly territory is fantastic, and should nearly always be slotted.
    + 1 production is mainly for boosting newly settled cities, and is great at this.
    30% increased builder production is weak, but some civs need a lot more builders than others (compare Inca to Maori).