Raze, but no slaves

Delphi456

Prince
I razed the size 12 capital of Carthage but got no slaves. I've never seen this happen before. Any explanations?

I seem to remember a discussion about it. Can't seem to find it though.

If memory serves, there's a chance you'll get slaves from the city if you raze, and it's half the number of pop in the city you're razing. So you could get potentially 6 slaves out of a pop 12 city you've razed.

I've noticed that you don't always get slaves after razing. Dunno why.

Same here.

Might have something to do with cultural borders. If the tile (on which the city was founded) remains within the cultural borders of the enemy civ. Just speculation though...

Yeah, I posted this question a while back. Didn't get a definitive answer, just that it seems to be random - your not getting slaves when you should.

Even if you try reloading and re-razing, you still either get slaves or not.

It's very odd.

I seem to remember a discussion about it. Can't seem to find it though.

If memory serves, there's a chance you'll get slaves from the city if you raze, and it's half the number of pop in the city you're razing. So you could get potentially 6 slaves out of a pop 12 city you've razed.

If I recall correctly, then city pop drops by 1 when captured so, you'll gain 5 slaves, not 6, if city size 12 is razed.

(CurrentCityPop-1)/2=(round down)
So, if you raze size 2 down, you'll get zero slaves (2-1)/2=rounddown 0.5 (not sure in about this)
and size 1 town (1-1)/2= Changes to 0 pop and disappears, when captured.

A size 1 town only disappears when conquered if it does not have a culture expansion.

My experience with this is that on occassion the first city I take after I load a save sometimes there are no slaves (city was big enough and should have provided some). I always wrote it off to a game bug.

Same here.

Might have something to do with cultural borders. If the tile (on which the city was founded) remains within the cultural borders of the enemy civ. Just speculation though...

Or maybe the population needs to be native in order to be turned into slave workers? And that it doesn't work with 3rd party nationalities ... Just some more speculation.

Negative. Tested today. But that was a scenario (Fall of Rome). So, maybe this is it:

Or maybe the population needs to be native in order to be turned into slave workers? And that it doesn't work with 3rd party nationalities ... Just some more speculation.

You don't get slaves unless there are worker units in the city. It's no different than capturing workers outside the city.

I think it's a bug, and I hate when it happens. It is better to capture and build slaves, but you can't always do that due to culture and such. You would pay 100-125 for a slave in trade, whereas a fully rushed slave is only 80 gold. and rushing one is only 36 gold with 1 shield in the box. A great bargain indeed. A city of 12 is potentially 11 slaves with no starvation, only 5 or even none when razed.

Top Bottom