1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Raze, but no slaves

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Delphi456, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Delphi456

Delphi456 Prince

I razed the size 12 capital of Carthage but got no slaves. I've never seen this happen before. Any explanations?

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I've noticed that you don't always get slaves after razing. Dunno why.

3. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I seem to remember a discussion about it. Can't seem to find it though.

If memory serves, there's a chance you'll get slaves from the city if you raze, and it's half the number of pop in the city you're razing. So you could get potentially 6 slaves out of a pop 12 city you've razed.

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Same here.

Might have something to do with cultural borders. If the tile (on which the city was founded) remains within the cultural borders of the enemy civ. Just speculation though...

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Never figured out the rules on that, but I have seen it many times.

6. da3dalus

da3dalus Warlord

One of the reasons why I almost never raze (There was a thread about this earlier...).

I like to take my time to properly enslave the city by just building workers and stifling growth until there's 1 or 2 enemy citizens left. Then I can properly assimilate the city and start producing culture to prevent a flip.

7. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Yeah, I posted this question a while back. Didn't get a definitive answer, just that it seems to be random - your not getting slaves when you should.

Even if you try reloading and re-razing, you still either get slaves or not.

It's very odd.

8. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

If I recall correctly, then city pop drops by 1 when captured so, you'll gain 5 slaves, not 6, if city size 12 is razed.

(CurrentCityPop-1)/2=(round down)
    So, if you raze size 2 down, you'll get zero slaves (2-1)/2=rounddown 0.5 (not sure in about this)
    and size 1 town (1-1)/2= Changes to 0 pop and disappears, when captured.

9. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

A size 1 town only disappears when conquered if it does not have a culture expansion.

10. zerksees

zerksees in remission

My experience with this is that on occassion the first city I take after I load a save sometimes there are no slaves (city was big enough and should have provided some). I always wrote it off to a game bug.

11. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Or maybe the population needs to be native in order to be turned into slave workers? And that it doesn't work with 3rd party nationalities ... Just some more speculation.

12. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Negative. Tested today. But that was a scenario (Fall of Rome). So, maybe this is it:

13. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

You don't get slaves unless there are worker units in the city. It's no different than capturing workers outside the city.

14. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I think it's a bug, and I hate when it happens. It is better to capture and build slaves, but you can't always do that due to culture and such. You would pay 100-125 for a slave in trade, whereas a fully rushed slave is only 80 gold. and rushing one is only 36 gold with 1 shield in the box. A great bargain indeed. A city of 12 is potentially 11 slaves with no starvation, only 5 or even none when razed.