Raze your own cities?

Reznaak

Chieftain
There are times when I'd rather burn my own city to the ground instead of letting it fall into the hands of letting it fall into the hands of rebels. Would this be a feature worth adding to revolutions? Maybe if the city was on the verge of revolt there'd be a chance that the rebels would interrupt you and you'd have to kill them before you try again. It could also have an effect on your other cities, but I'm not sure which would be more appropriate, either they are angry with you and it fuels the rebellions in other cities or your show of power slows the rebellion temporarily.

I love this mod. It makes for a very interesting game. I usually start with 3 civs and the rest are filled out by barbarians and rebels. :)

Razing a city at will would certainly be useful sometimes ... but as you point out, when a city is feeling rebellious they're not going to go down without a fight. There would have to be consequences to attempting to destroy a rebellious city, basically it seems like the act of trying to raze the city should precipitate a revolt.

You can't just let the rebels take the city and then burn it after you recapture it because Civ4 blocks you from razing a city where you have significant culture ... this could be changed for rebel cities, that would be one way to approach this.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

if the AI could do it, I'd be more for it. the other thing if you raze your own city there has to be a nagative side to this "advantage" and I think the obvious is that it would boost the chance for revolution in your empire. Who wants a leader like that?

So I think it would be nice but a decision you have to make in only the worst of situations and to do that there has to be a high negative cost to it.

Probably, the effect should be that it gives a one-time decrease to the revindex in nearby cities (due to fear), but then gives a large plus modifier to the rate of increase in all cities, as well as make rebels much more likely to be violent (possibly without a request pop-up, since revolutionaries would think you much less likely to accept). This razing of cities would also get a relations hit with any civs with culture in the city.

Actually, just thought of another related feature that could be added: if civ a was being oppressive towards its citizens (i.e. razing cities, police state, theocracy e.t.c.) then another civ could get refugees and/or be pressured by its citizens into a war of liberation.

Sorry for that bit of off-topic, just had an idea.

Probably, the effect should be that it gives a one-time decrease to the revindex in nearby cities (due to fear), but then gives a large plus modifier to the rate of increase in all cities, as well as make rebels much more likely to be violent (possibly without a request pop-up, since revolutionaries would think you much less likely to accept). This razing of cities would also get a relations hit with any civs with culture in the city.

Actually, just thought of another related feature that could be added: if civ a was being oppressive towards its citizens (i.e. razing cities, police state, theocracy e.t.c.) then another civ could get refugees and/or be pressured by its citizens into a war of liberation.

Sorry for that bit of off-topic, just had an idea.

That would be nice, and to have refugee units that would spawn as result of war, famine or civil unrest (i.e. civil wars, revolutions.), that no country can attack accept you(unless it didn't come fromn you), and if you do the city it came from and the country it's going to gets a negative modifier against you.

edit: also this would be a great way for the ai to spread culture.

Since you brought it up Ekmek ... under what circumstances would it make sense for the AI to make this decision?

I don't think I'd ever do it, but for the AI maybe city size less than 2, medieval or later eras, enemy forces outside the city outnumber the defenders 3 to 1.

thats just off the top of my head.

There are times when I'd rather burn my own city to the ground instead of letting it fall into the hands of letting it fall into the hands of rebels. Would this be a feature worth adding to revolutions? Maybe if the city was on the verge of revolt there'd be a chance that the rebels would interrupt you and you'd have to kill them before you try again. It could also have an effect on your other cities, but I'm not sure which would be more appropriate, either they are angry with you and it fuels the rebellions in other cities or your show of power slows the rebellion temporarily.

I love this mod. It makes for a very interesting game. I usually start with 3 civs and the rest are filled out by barbarians and rebels. :)

Raising this question from the dead...

I had this same question and then saw that a good number of people have posted this question before ... the simple answers seem to be, "give the city to an AI" or "nuke it" or "be more careful which cities you plop down and where"... has anyone figured out if there's code that could be modified that would allow you to raze your own city? Aside from going into WB and just deleting it?

Top Bottom