1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Razing cities gives the enemy a lot of troops.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by stratego, Aug 4, 2007.

1. stratego

stratego Trying to be good.

I just razed two of my enemies cities, and as a result they got 8 free riflemen. One of them was a new city that they've built in the last 5 turns. This is a lot faster than building all these riflemen by yourself.

So in multi-player games, is it possible to create a few settlers, have a friend declare war on you and raze the new cities as you settle them. That way you get a bunch free units that you can use to attack another enemy. You make a deal with your friend that you won't attack each other, and maybe later you can enter into a permanent alliance so you both can win.

2. Brancaleone

Brancaleone Warlord

The militia is an event, isnt? It may not always happens i think. Ive raised cities and saw no spawn of enemy units.

3. AlessioCerci

AlessioCerci Prince

^^^it seems to happen more often than not.

4. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

What's the war weariness effect of letting an entire border of cities get burned to the ground?

5. auldian

auldian King

The cities I've razed often generated more advanced partisans than the cities defeated defenders, ie, though the AI hadn't upgraded it's musketmen, the 3 or 4 partisans that emerged were riflemen. That seems a bit odd, that the resistance is more advanced than the standing army.

6. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Personally, I've decided that event sucks large goat nuts. A weak defender suddenly gets a half-dozen uber tech units of militia. Nice.

If anything, "militia" should be a vaguely uselessly strength unit that is only good for harrassing/pillaging rather than having any hope of actually killing anything.

7. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

Viva la resistance!

8. frob2900

frob2900 Deity

You can bet that if the AI got partisan riflemen, then they had the rifling tech.

The more pressing question is how much experience the partisan units had when they appeared.

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Wouldn't the number of partisans that arise be dependent on the size of the city? So to attempt to exploit this by building a few quick cities sounds difficult. It may be dependent on culture too - I'm not sure.

So to get these free riflemen, you'd need to invest in some settlers, farms, and the city maintenance for the turns while you keep the money-draining cities.

My impression is that this feature is just to compensate those who are having their cities razed since it can be pretty devastating. So I'd like to see a case for where this is actually worth it.

10. LunaticSlave

LunaticSlave Sieg Zeon!

Yea this is a random event, i raze lots of cities and rarely get the event to happen realy. You probalbly on a bad luck streak :crazyeye: I have played tons of games and only hapened to me like 3 times tops.

11. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

I've gotten this event a few times, but I have never seen any troops come out of it. Could it be because I destroy the capital before they appear?

12. Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao Son of the Blind Xiahou

Attacking the backwards Holy Roman Empire in a game a couple of nights ago, I razed two poorly placed cities and got the event each time. Of course, the event spawned two Warriors for them each time, so it wasn't much of a bother. ;)

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I'm pretty sure what you get is based on the size of the city and on your technology. So far when my cities were razed, I either got 1-2 warriors or 2-4 Musket men. I doubt that newly settled cities would produce as many solders.

Personally I think that some non military "refugees" like settlers should also be generated sometimes.

14. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

It might be also due the fact that the civ, which receives the partisans has two options - either get them all near the razed city or only halve the number which appear in the capital.I don't think it has to do anything with destroying the capital before, because then immediately another city takes over the capital function.

15. anth

anth Chieftain

I think if partisan units pop up from a city when it is razed, then something must happen to the population, E.G. multiple "refugee" units pop up who then have to leg it to a friendly city :D At the moment we appear to be ethnic cleansing these cities we raze???

16. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

I just razed a Brennus city after capturing it using axes, spears and catapults (to give you an idea of the age). A spear actually dealt the killing blow, since everybody else was done moving. Suddenly Brennus has three fresh axemen next to my injured attack forces. I would have lost three units on the next turn.

But I was able to get a peace treaty.

17. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

I've only had it happen once, and the units were Warriors :p

No match for my Macemen!

18. Ricci

Ricci Prince

Maybe this event can happen anytime in the game but is more frequent if you are under nationhood, that might explain why sometimes you get it razing two cities in a row. As slavery emphazices the slave revolt event.

19. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

That is a good point. It makes sense, too. Hmmm, may have to test that :p

20. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

My enemies got it few times, and I had my city razed only once and I got event (Either I got lucky or it is high chance)
    Anyway my option was either to get 4 units at ruins or 2 units in capital, I chose first and got 4 maces :D and it really helped my revenge!

All in the all I LOVE this event (and all otheres!) and they are really great addition, make civ much more fun to play.

To original poster- I wouldnt concern about it much. There ae plenty of exploits you can do in MP anyway, but they just plain suck and arent often used. Likewise you can gift your cities to other player for 1 turn to help him finish quest with buildings etc. And couldn't in real life USA and UK agree and USA bombs London and UK would get swarms of volonteers. But that is extremly stupid. I doubt players will exploit it much.