1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Razing cities gives the enemy a lot of troops.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by stratego, Aug 4, 2007.

1. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

I have seen it once. They got 4-5 warriors. I had macemen and knights. Free experience :)

2. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

Hmm. I recently won a conquest game during which I razed many, many cities and got the event every single time. Now, sometimes the units spawned on the spot and sometimes the message said they were fleeing to the capital to form units there but one of those two things happened every single time I razed a city.

I like concept behind this event, it is realistic and adds some amount of suprise but I don't think it should happen every time and I also don't think they should get 4-5 of the best units their tech allows for free even when their cities could not hope to produce them. It's not right for a so called resistance to be the most advanced military unit your civilization knows.

3. Jorunkun

Jorunkun Back with a vengeance

Interesting. Does the number of units spawned somehow relate to the size of the city razed (i.e. bigger cities yielding more partisans)?

I think for game balance and (arguably) realism this is a good change.

J.

4. ezwip

ezwip Prince

I like it. It's the risk you take massacaring a city.

5. mnf

mnf King

Just had this event and had the partisans being able to hold off my raiding party.

Spoiler for this event taken from the Random Event List thread:
    Spoiler :
    It's not related to the city size you raze, it's related to the cultural level.

Event139 - Partisans. The number of partisans is equal to the razed city culture level minus one, if to spawn at the city site; or half that number in the capital.

The event list is wrong in that Emancipation is not a prerequisite. The cultural level calculation is a little dubious, too, seeing that the city I just raized in 275AD would have to be at cultue level 5 by that calculation. Unless I'm mis-understanding culture levels, that is.

Citizen militia that is comparable to regular army is a slight disappointment, though. Not a significant problem, though. It sometimes can be fun. :p

6. Ninjazn

Ninjazn Chieftain

Whenever it happens to me, the AI usually gets units that were better than the units they had defending in the first place. They also usually get like 3-5 of them. Really the "militia" shouldn't even appear in cities with a population of 1-3, and anything higher, they should be just fodder for your soldiers, not a serious threat.

7. Sir Jaref

Sir Jaref Chieftain

I thought it was a permanent feature of BtS. Every city I've razed in my games have spawned units. So it's just bad luck?

I've gotten afraid of razing cities now. Extremely annoying when 4-5 top units spawn next to your injured stack every time, especially when you attempt early rushes =/

8. mnf

mnf King

In my current game, it happened four times out of four. Well, out of five. But then there's nothing to stand up for when their Civilization is eradicated. :p

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

The militia event almost never happens in epic. It tends to happen a lot in the Crossroads scenario, at least once per game.

10. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

This clearly is a throw back to [civ2] . Its purpose is to make conquest victories harder and as far as events go I like it. It adds a sort of an occupation force requirement that I find realistic.

I guess the problem is you have to either turn off ALL events or suffer with those you hate. Maybe someone will mod a checklist.

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Once I razed an AI city and the AI received several mechanized infantry for its militia. I was under the impression that the resistance consisted of people, not machines...

12. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Mechanized infantry aren't robots, they are normal infantrymen with specialized war vehicles. The kind that are cheaper and frailer than tanks, but have some semblance of armor and are much more mobile. Humvees and the like.

13. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Emperor

I believe he was wondering where La Resistance acquired said machines. Unless you're razing Detroit, there's no reasone for the average citizen to be capable of driving an armored vehicle into battle on such short notice.

Perhaps the partisans should be chosen from units that upgrade to modern ones, rather than the modern units themselves. Say, razing a city defended by Infantry should spawn Riflemen. Granted, it would look a little odd to have a city defended with a Machine Gun spit out Grenadiers when razed, but it's all abstracted anyways.

14. meatwad4289

meatwad4289 Prince

first few games it happened ALL The time.. now it doesn't happen as much.. if it does i dont notice it. but when it did happen it was always warriors attacking me musketmen,

15. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

Stalingrad was essentially razed but the red barricades kept cranking out tanks -- I assume this is the sort of thing being represented

16. Aurelius321

Aurelius321 Warlord

Wasn't partisans something that was a regular event in CivII or CivIII? I am happy they brought it back in a limited way. If Canada got pissed and razed A few New England cities to the ground you could bet eventually a few groups of NRA gun nuts would counterattack using their 'legal' firearms.

17. Sandman2012

Sandman2012 Chieftain

Maybe after researching Constitution, the civ researched EXTREME 2nd Amendment - the right to bear Iron Man Armor.

This seems more likely than my suggestion. ;)

18. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Hmm I've noticed that some games the enemy receives partisan units after every single city I raze, and other games I'll raze dozens of cities without it happening a single time. The current game I'm playing with Shaka I've dominated with my military the entire game, and I razed ~10-15 cities of four different opponents without the enemy ever receiving any partisan units. Some of the cities were old and highly cultured cities, I even razed the Statue of Zeus after I decided I would be unable to keep it and it's better that nobody have it than my enemy have it.

Anyway, I think there must be something more to the spawning of the partisan units than just a random chance of the units being generated. While I have no proof of this, I find that the enemy is less likely to spawn partisan units if I have a significant power advantage. I think the resistance movement is more likely to occur if I am not stronger than my opponent or if I do not have a large military presence in the area.

Can anyone confirm this? Or any other thoughts on it?

19. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

Tech should require Monarchy

Pre-Gunpower= Spearmen
    Gunpowder= Pikemen
    Rifling= Musketmen
    Assembly Line= Riflemen
    Industrialization= Infantry

20. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

Partisans were an actual [civ2] unit that also appeared for free when a city was captured or razed --Partisans can ignore enemy ZOC and had 1/3 mp cost regardless of terrain.