Razing holy citys

spiceant

Warlord
In my conquests i have come across holy citys, what good is it to raze them? will this cause the affected religion to slowly loose followers?

I don't know if it affect religion spreading, but you'll end up with big diplo penalties (e.g. "you raze a holy city -5") from civs having it as a state religion.

Holy City effects:
+5 culture if matching or no state religion

Shrine effects:
+1 gold per city with that religion
+Chance of religion spreading to pagan cities

If the holy city has no shrine, or every city already has religion, there is no reason to raze it.

It's a -5 to diplomacy if I raze enemy holy cities? Haha! That's great!

I'm going to burn every founding city that I can from now on. What a great way to purposelessly spite the enemy before killing them.

but if you have the holy city you get +1 commerce or gold from each cty which has that religion. I don't see why you'd want to raze them.

Joh said:
but if you have the holy city you get +1 commerce or gold from each city which has that religion. I don't see why you'd want to raze them.

No, that's only if the wonder for that religion (the church of nativity for christianity, for example) is bulit in the city.

If you own the holy city of a religion, I think you get to see squares that the religion is spread in, don't you? It may have to be your state religion too. I read it somewhere.

oagersnap said:
No, that's only if the wonder for that religion (the church of nativity for christianity, for example) is bulit in the city.

Then build the wonder ;) If you conquer the holy city, you'll either get it with the wonder, or get the ability to build the wonder with a great prophet.

It's when you found a religion that you get to see the cities that it has spread in, very nice if you have close neighbors.

Dadamh said:
If you own the holy city of a religion, I think you get to see squares that the religion is spread in, don't you? It may have to be your state religion too. I read it somewhere.

Cerryl said:
It's when you found a religion that you get to see the cities that it has spread in, very nice if you have close neighbors.

You only get to see cities that worship your state religion. If you found more than one religion, you will still one be able to spy cities that worship your state religion.

You still get shrine income from any city that worships your shrine's religion though, so if you found several religions you can almost run your economy by spreading various religions.

And that is why I wouldn't raze a holy city. Put a shrine there instead (or leave the shrine in place) and make money.

99% of the time, razing a holy city is a very stupid thing to do. No benefits for doing it.

Only exception is when the religion it represents hasn't spread at all + when the city will forever be a trash city (small, not productive, etc.) + when it's located at a place on the map that is quite far from your Empire (meaning it'll be VERY hard to defend it from rivals if you don't want to expand your Empire in this region).
Under these circumstances it might be useful to raze it: if you can't get the benefits from the Holy city (1 gold per city per turn) because it's too far from you, no one else should. BUT as long as you think you'll be able to hold on to the city, keep it. Lots of income.

Top Bottom