RB13 - Collateral Carnage

Sounds good. Make sure we will have two spears or so in our territory to kill off Izzy's pillaging chariots when we declare; she loves to do that.

I hope I can take a look at the game tomorrow for some more comments.

Roster:
Kylearan
Sharog
Snaproll -> UP NOW!
xenikos -> on deck
Zeviz
Dreylin

Hm, I now realize that Snaproll had just played - do you want to play again Snaproll, or should we proceed with xenikos up next?

-Kylearan

I can play tonight, unless you think I've played to recently and want to avoid any more :smoke: :lol:

Aren't these new smilies great? :hammer2:

I can play tonight as well...sorry I didn't notice we needed a skip earlier

Tell me if I'm playing, or if Snaproll is again - I'll wait on that.

Go ahead and take it xenikos. I'm up in anywhere from one to three other games tonight, so I'll just jump back into this the next time through the rotation.

Wow, I'm really sorry about this - but I'm going to need a skip. I had hard drive problems yesterday, and then I worked on that...and now my CD-ROM isn't reading the Civ disk...and I really don't know why. Sorry for having a crazy computer weekend!

I am sorry about that. I wasn't online the last couple of days. I can play it tonight or tomorrow night.

This report will be less detailed than usual, because it's 12:30am already and I think it's more important to get the game moving again than to post a pretty report. I apologize for low level of detail.

700AD (0) We have a stack of 5 cats, a couple axes and a spear, which I move onto a hill within striking distance of Seville. Chariot scout reports a Chariot, Spear and Archer in Seville.

I switch research to currency, because we must develope at least some economy. Having no Currency in 700AD is not a good idea.

710 (1) We are 5th most advanced in the world. Everybody ahead of us is "unknown" (on another continent.

Madrid has 3 archers, 2 chariots and axe. Izzy has 6 cities. I attack, moving the stack next to Seville.

720 (2) Bomb Seville. Hamburg Cat -> Cat (3)

730 (3) Axe kills chariot that went in to pillage.
Finish bombing Seville. 3 CR cats available. Cat wins at 60%. Cat wins at 67%. Cat wins at 98%, capturing city. We capture Parthenon.

IBT: Izzy converts to Buddhism. We get LoS in all Jewish cities.

740 (4) Move archer and chariot onto iron mine I just noticed next to our border.

750 (5) Pillage Iron mine and leave. Construct Temple of Solomon. Combat cat moves to meet an axe in battle.

IBT Cat kills Sword, dies to axe. Monty cancels Open Borders!

760 (6) Full stack (5 cats, 3 axes and a spear) moves out of Seville.

770 (7) Start Granary in Seville. SoD continues moving.

780, 790 Troops move, cities build, workers work.

IBT Monty cancels deals, making most cities unhappy.

800 (10) Moved stack to forest near Barcelona. 2 cats are still damaged. Another stack is assembling to counter Spanish invasion forse near Madrid. I whip lighthouses in the two fishing villages. Next we should build Granaries, then Forges there.

That loss of deal with monty really hurt us. We might want to starve off those unhappy citizens, because I don't see a way to regain the happiness and both our cash and production have been shot.

Hi,

Zeviz said:
This report will be less detailed than usual, because it's 12:30am already and I think it's more important to get the game moving again
Agreed. :)

I switch research to currency, because we must develope at least some economy. Having no Currency in 700AD is not a good idea.
Yay, finally I'm heard! :lol:

Roster:
Kylearan -> on deck
Sharog
Snaproll
xenikos
Zeviz
Dreylin -> UP NOW!

If Dreylin won't have the game in 24 hours, I'll get it. (He still has another 48h to play of course!)

-Kylearan

I've realized I made a major :smoke: yesterday: Capturing Barcelona will trigger a war with Monty. (Religious LoS allowed me to see him massing troops near Spanish border and he refused to attack anybody saying "I have other plans" (or something like that). He just cancelled all deals with us, but he doesn't have OB with Izzy to attack us yet. However, capturing Barcelona would put our border next to his, letting him attack us directly. So don't capture Barcelona! Instead, either fortify that stack with a medic in that forest, or move it towards Madrid, when our northern stack is fully assembled.

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL lately, but I'm in the middle of relocating from Denver to Dallas and that has left life somewhat unpredictable. It wouldn't be a problem if I was in Dallas at the moment as the hotel has high-speed internet (I'd just have to negotiate the computer from my MMORPG-playing Fiancee), but I'm back in Denver at the moment and running round like the proverbial headless chicken trying to get things sorted before heading off again. :twitch:

Anyway, I will probably have time tonight to play ... but I'm heading for :beer: after work and that may not be the best state to play these turns in! :groucho:

After that I probably wouldn't have an opportunity to post any results until Sunday evening, so I'm going to ask for another skip. :blush:

I'll be able to play next week though, promise!!! :p

Re: Monty, any chance of bribing him into converting back to Judaism as that would seem to be our best bet for staving off an attack long-term?

On the inherited turn, I micromanaged a bit and shaved off two turns of the great library build. I also fired the engineer in Hamburg, as both Munich and soon Berlin will produce lots of GPPs already.

The war went not so well: Our stack in the forest at Barcelona was furiously attacked. It killed 5 axemen, 2 swords and an archer, and withdrew 2 chariots. We lost two axes and the spear though. Izzy had lots of units running around, and the Barcelona stack was badly wounded so we would have lost it in 830AD. Our new-assembled stack in the north wouldn't have been able to do much without exposing our southern front, so I grudgingly made peace with Izzy to save our Barcelone stack. She gave us Monotheism for it. Before doing this though, I finished off a wounded chariot, killed a lone swordman, and bombarded Barcelona for the fun of it.

I whipped the great library. This, and the fact that we now know Currency, brought back our economy. Plus, I've sold Literature to Monty and Alex for 750 gold. :D 100% research, here we come!

We have researched Monarchy already, but I have not yet adopted hereditary rule, as we could also adopt organized religion. It has a high upkeep and I'm not entirely sure if we should adopt it or not. We will build more military for which it doesn't help, but it will come in handy after the next war, and since we will be in anarchy anyway I'd do it. What do you think?

Regardless how you decide, adopt hereditary rule at least on the inherited turn!

I've set research on Code of Laws next, for courthouses and on the way to Civil Service to spread irrigation, but that can be changed too. Mid-term, I think we should make a semi-beeline to cannons.

Caution: Barbarian swordmen are running around, and I already had to do some serious logistics including our galley and an upgrade of our woodsman II warrior to axeman to save our eastern city, which only had an archer in it. I'm moving two axes eastwards as protection, which might be a good idea to protect against AI landings anyway. Once the axes arrive, the spear could probably be moved west, or kept there for additional zone defense.

We should redeclare war on Izzy as soon as we are allowed to!

My suggestion would be to have our SoD in the forest right at Salamanca, where our workers are already building a road to. Declare, waltz over Salamanca, and head towards Madrid (which has the Pyramids...). Expect a strong resistance, though. Depending on how Izzy will counter-attack, we might need some additional defenses ready to defend Seville, which at the moment only has an axe, a spear, and a catapult in it. Also, don't forget our variant rules.

Have an eye on Essen and Dortmund. Essen will complete its granary next turn, and can whip a forge as soon as possible. Dortmund can also be whipped, either now or in 5 turns when the old whipping memory has faded.

Roster:
Kylearan
Sharog -> UP NOW!
Snaproll -> on deck
xenikos
Zeviz
Dreylin

-Kylearan

this will have to wait till tomorrow since im gonna fix tmcc-02 tonight. but since our full rooster are like half-dead, it doesnt matter that much anywayz.

Top Bottom